PDA

View Full Version : Turn Signal Problem Solved

RZRob
09-12-2006, 01:38 AM
Yes I was one of the people that broke a rear turn signal 5 minutes after getting the bike. It's not my fault, it's just a crappy design - obviously designed for temporary use - or not road tested.

But I think I solved the problem quickly and easily. Here's what I did. Okay, the turn signals break at their weakest link. when they do, they expose the wiring that runs inside about a 5/16" (8mm) hole that has a piece of threadstock glued to one end to facilitate mounting.

What I did was found a piece of 5/16" (8mm) Bundyflex brake line laying around in my garage. This is that metal car brake tubing that's typically flared with brake fittings on it (available at any cheap auto parts store). I cut a piece 1" (~28mm) long and then cut that piece open and spread it wide enough to fit over the wires. Then before fitting it I filed all the burrs and sharp edges from the cut.

Then I placed the cut piece around the wiring harness exposed by the break in the turn signal and using pliers squeezed the tubing back together going a little overboard. I confirmed I'd squeezed the tubing enough to be able to tightly work it into the exposed holes on both pieces of the broken turn signal. Holding the piece of tubing tightly with the pliers I twisted back and forth working it about halfway into the mounting side half (inner broken piece. Then I grabbed the turn signal half and worked it over the other half of the tubing until the 2 pieces came together and Viola - no more broken turn signal. You can't tell it was even broken. I didn't even have to remove it to fix it. I might go back and glue it later, but let me see how it goes for awhile. I don't see how this idea can fail.

Dcups
09-15-2006, 12:17 PM
Awesome tip broke mine last night

Aprilia
09-15-2006, 03:05 PM
I broke mine to. I kicked it getting of the bike in a hurry.

RSV1000RnAZ
09-15-2006, 08:10 PM
Broke mine!

I am short so I struggle getting on mine.

RSV1000RnAZ
09-15-2006, 09:40 PM
Went and bought some plastic weld. That should do it.

RZRob
09-16-2006, 01:12 AM
Steel tubing over plastic weld I'm confident, but let me know if/when your's fails again (likewise here). I've already semi-tested the steel approach. I believe plastic alone is destined to fail. My suggestion is an invisible strong-as-steel solution. About the only addition I'd suggest is a bit of glue in the hole prior to assembly.

RZ Rob

RSV1000RnAZ
09-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Oh. I think your solution is great, I just didn't have the materials i needed right now. haha.

Im sure they will bust off again. :bump:

rb450
09-18-2006, 07:13 AM
Was just in VT riding mostly off road. On Saturday I Broke the right turn signal, on Sunday I broke the left. Being an off-road kinda guy, I drilled four tiny holes vertically through the plastic and stitched the signal back together with safety wire. The fix takes about five minutes and is flexible and renewable, yet still looks decent. I'll post pics