PDA

View Full Version : OMG.....a 180HP Yamaha R1 for 2004!!

vpr80
09-10-2003, 10:39 AM
I have never really been into the Jap bikes because I wanted to have something "cooler" so I got my R, but I almost fell off the chair yesterday when I saw that Yamaha is releasing a 180HP R1 for next year. I think this is trully AMAZING!

In 2003 all the liter machines were basically around 135-145 hp, but with this beast for next year this sets an incredible standard for 1000cc bikes. I mean this is approaching the 200hp V5 MotoGP bikes with one less cylinder.

I have to give Yamaha mad prop for the new R1, they are really being class leaders and its interesting to see what the other manufacturers come up with.

On the other hand, this worries me because I just don't see how the twins can compete with the I-4's any more. Upto now the two types of bikes had its advantages and disadvantages and were able to compete, but with the I-4's getting so damn powerfull the twins are going to have a very tough road ahead of them.

2004 Yamaha R1 (http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/unitinfo.asp?lid=2&lc=mcy&cid=5&mid=6)

BigGlen
09-10-2003, 11:05 AM
OMG!

Scooter
09-10-2003, 11:05 AM
Wow- I like it more than the pics JNG put out of the new ZX-10. Wow. Did I say Wow?

Smoke Eater
09-10-2003, 11:15 AM
That's 180 at the crank. Marketing spin.

All it means is more dead squids on the side of the road.

vpr80
09-10-2003, 11:22 AM
What do you think Aprilia is doing with our HP numbers. They are all rated at the crank at 138 so if 180 is correct then we are going to have our asses handed to us by those squids with 42 more HP.

clarkie49
09-10-2003, 11:30 AM
they claim the 180hp 'with ram air' and so that would make about150hp at the rear wheel. yeah still more than the mille but can it stop and turn?

doesnt sound so good now does it, and those pipes look stupid!

it looks like tha ass of a ktm, i love the ktm pipes but not on a R1.

clarkie

mitchv60
09-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Lets be honest with ourselves hear you don't need 180bhp and anyone that says they do is talking crap.Ok it may be of some use on the track but for 80% of us that amount of power is almost impossible to use to the maximum.Don't get me wrong you can always do with a bit more power but that amount of power on the road ain't going to be useful.
I wouldn't mind betting that they sell shed loads of these next year and within a few months they start comeing up as part exchanges where the owners scare them selves silly.
How useable is this much power?Not ridden anything this powerful I would say not very unless your a racer.I've lapped a track same lap times against a guy on an R1 that was makeing 40bhp more than me.So I'm more than happy with my mille,now just to get it back on the road.

Mitch

vpr80
09-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by mitchv60
Lets be honest with ourselves hear you don't need 180bhp and anyone that says they do is talking crap.Ok it may be of some use on the track but for 80% of us that amount of power is almost impossible to use to the maximum.... Mitch

I couldn't agree with you more. I totally fall into the not being able to use the bike to its full potential category and I am more than happy with my mille. My point was that I think its incredible at the performance levels that are being acheived right now.

Hum...does this mean I can get an 03 R1 for REALLY cheap and use it on the track?!? Somehow I think 145 hp will keep me occupied for a little bit :)

jin88
09-10-2003, 11:59 AM
WOW WOW WOW 180hp, well, I guess I have one thing to say to everyone on this forum and my bike BYYYYY!!!!!

Just playing, Oh if will turn, it don't matter, you put that bike and the mille on the track and ever little straight you will just see that bike get small and small IN Front.

You guys are right, I think that is a little dangerous for the street, I know around my parks the kind of people that have R1, must of them are crazy.

I would still like to have one!

Davenet
09-10-2003, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't mind betting that they sell shed loads of these next year and within a few months they start comeing up as part exchanges where the owners scare them selves silly.

Just take a quick look on e-bay for a gsxr 1000. Tons of them with low mileage and stained seats.

So, tell me, do you want crazy power or usable power?? If you are worried about a squid on one of these, buy bigger mirrors. That way the first corner you come hammering out of you'll get to watch all of the "highside show".

RSV Racing
09-10-2003, 01:03 PM
It has 172 hp and 180 with ram-air. Insane. But like Clarkie said, can it stop and corner?

kneedownaprilia
09-10-2003, 01:06 PM
Bro, don't believe all the pre-marketing hoopla--180 crank hp (and that's with 'ram air' help on a crank--something we don't routinely do when we run dynojet #'s) will probably be a lot less come production time. Still, I do think it's a good step up to the plate to challenge the GSXR's hp dominance (stock GSXR1000's routinely make ~145+ rwhp, which would put it in the neighborhood of 170+ crank hp...and that's without ram air effect).

In regards to what is may mean on the street--sure, any high-hp inline will waste a twin in a straight line shootout (read: drag racing). But on a track, it doesn't mean sh!t--I've been out turned, out braked, and outright passed up by many a twin, I'm not ashamed to admit. And I'm not the slowest guy on the track either (Usually A or advanced group on the track days). So keep your Mille, it's a great bike. Unless you race on the track, the only place a squid on a 'faster bike' is gonna take you is in a straight line or at the local pub talking trash...

Bill in OKC
09-10-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by kneedownaprilia
Bro, don't believe all the pre-marketing hoopla--180 crank hp (and that's with 'ram air' help on a crank--something we don't routinely do when we run dynojet #'s) will probably be a lot less come production time.

My thoughts exactly - "designed to make" - does not mean it really does make those numbers in production form. Maybe in AMA superbike form - but on the showroom? We'll see.

desmoface
09-10-2003, 01:31 PM
I had a 916, loved the motor..traded it in on a 929. 929 was way too much power for me..specially on the track...I quickly realized the twin was easier for me to ride, I preferred the way it put the power down..and I don't really need much more than 100hp at the rear wheel...

A bike like that new r1 has absolutely no appeal to me...Now that I'm back on a twin, I'm happy...just easier to ride (imho)..now an r6, that would be something I'd consider for track days..but I'd probably rather just use an sv6fity for that...

Steve
03 tuono
01 ex2fity

mfield2a
09-10-2003, 01:44 PM
Everyone is posting quick, so some of you beat me to this punch while I was talking on the phone and thus my "edit", but my original post would be:

I have read this on several post several times. Yamaha did a good job with the initial marketing ploy to get the word out on the new bike. It clearly reads "engine designed to make 180 horsepower power at a stratospheric 12,500 rpm." No where do they make the claim that it actually does. I'll be real curious to find out what hard numbers come out with at the rear wheel and on what dyno.

The 2004 "open" shoot out is going to be awesome, personally I'm voting for the RSV and the ZX-10.

bob of fl
09-10-2003, 02:57 PM
Twins won't win at WSBK or AMA SBK anymore so sayeth Roadracing Squirrel correspondent-Sam Fleming.

So what. Is the RSVR fun to ride to work, on some twisties or at a track day? Hell yes. Will I enjoy having something different at the local bike night? Yes. Could I buy a I4 bike cheaper thats faster, sure.

If it was always about outright speed vs. price no one would buy a Porsche, Ferrari, Lamburghini, Bugatti, Maserati, Aston Martin, McLaren, or Mercedes. I'm sure that there is space in the world for discriminating owners to buy some Aprilias, MV Agustas, Ducatis, Laverdas, Bimotas, TMs, Vertemati's and other smaller volume higher priced bikes.

I'm just glad Aprilia builds a beautiful bike that is also reliable and relatively inexpensive to maintain. It's too bad the racing sandbox has crowded out twins but

gtoddh
09-10-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Smoke Eater
That's 180 at the crank. Marketing spin.

Like one of the guys said on my local mailing list - "That's 180 hp at the brochure."

Who knows what it will actually be when a magazine tests it. No matter what, it's going to be one crazy fast machine. I can't wait for the liter bike shootout this spring with the GSXR1000, R1, ZX10R and CBR1000R. Should be interesting.

I'll still stick with my twin though. A screaming I4 is not my bag, baby.

Todd

kneedownaprilia
09-10-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by mfield2a
Everyone is posting quick, so some of you beat me to this punch while I was talking on the phone and thus my "edit", but my original post would be:

I have read this on several post several times. Yamaha did a good job with the initial marketing ploy to get the word out on the new bike. It clearly reads "engine designed to make 180 horsepower power at a stratospheric 12,500 rpm." No where do they make the claim that it actually does. I'll be real curious to find out what hard numbers come out with at the rear wheel and on what dyno.

The 2004 "open" shoot out is going to be awesome, personally I'm voting for the RSV and the ZX-10.

That's a great point..."designed to" and what it 'actually' makes are two very, very, very important differences...

X-CBR MAN
09-10-2003, 07:33 PM
For sure what kinda brakes, or maybe a dragshoot, gonna be hell on brakes, chains, and bodies!

ckruzel
09-10-2003, 08:08 PM
Keep an eye out for the MV Agust F5

Ricky J
09-11-2003, 01:37 AM
As much as I admire the technology and capabilities of these new super-fours I cannot help but be a bit chagrined for the future of motorcycling. At some point governments WILL rein-in the arms race, and this is probably sooner than later.

Slowpoke
09-11-2003, 01:42 AM
Swwwweeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttt.......My first love was Yamaha..Anywayyyyyyyy.....How many people can actually ride a light 180hp bike?

Mille2play
09-11-2003, 07:02 AM
I can remember right before the R6 was released for the first time. They promised 120-122 hp at the wheel which obviously didn't happen. I would not hold my breath on 180HP R1.

TKDMitch
09-11-2003, 07:06 AM
180bhp at 12500, so the things going to rev to 13000 - 14000 and the bore/stroke ratio is pretty extreme, very short stroke.

All mounts up to a rev-happy, screaming motor, more like a 600 then a 1000. Is that what you really want out of a litre bike?

Looks fantastic though, except for the headlights which were better on last years IMHO.

Out of interest, anyone noticed that the new Blade will have an electronic steering damper? Now, that's very trick and cool, but Honda DO NOT fit steering dampers to their bikes, they have always seen it as an admission of poor frame geometery.

So for them to fit one, it must a) really need it and b) be running some pretty extreme geometery!

mitch

Wakko
09-11-2003, 12:46 PM
That "180hp" claim is about as accurate as the "379 lbs dy weight" claim. Only in the fantasy world of Yamaha's marcom team do those numbers mean anything. I expect 150-160hp at the rear wheel of a bike magazine's dyno. :rolleyes:

Ricky J
09-11-2003, 12:53 PM
Like Clarkie said earlier, the "180" figure is at the crankshaft WITH ram air boost (which they estimate as 7-8bhp) included. Reading further into their press release it says 172 using conventional i.e. static measures like others do. I'd estimate high one-fifties for power, maybe 160 at the back tire for a good 'un.

Wakko
09-11-2003, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I caught the ram-air clause in the press release. It's like how they claimed 120hp for the R6, remember that? In other words, the new R1 has finally caught up to the almighty GSX-R1000. Of course Suzuki will just pull another ace out of their arse and take things to the next level. Gotta love these horspower wars! To quote Bender: "Ooooh, yeah... that's the stuff..." :D :D

jin88
09-11-2003, 01:46 PM
I second that gtoddh" I can't wait for the shootout, it will be a great year for bikes all new coming out. I will always own a Aprilia weither it's my 2000 RSVR or a new one. But I still think my next bike will be the MV F5. They said the mistakes they made with the F4 are no more! MV 1000 WOOOOOOOO:o

ZeroTwoRSV
09-11-2003, 11:26 PM
I'm just happy my bike is going lower on the "wanted" list of thieves. Surely this new Yami will be the "take" of the town.