PDA

View Full Version : New Guzzi 1200S

olie
08-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Guzzi is coming strong!!! Eventually it will be Aprilia's turn!!

olie
08-20-2006, 08:54 PM
...more pics

RVZoo
10-03-2006, 02:57 PM
This pic is official

rivi
10-04-2006, 12:55 PM
Any stats to go along with this:

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/1122/1200sportzcm8.jpg

Ricky J
10-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Another parts-bin Goose. Let us all drink in its splendor.

thejayman
10-08-2006, 11:04 AM

:plus: I agree 100%.

Although they make nice looking variations of the goose what they really need to do is come up with a modern day version of that engine. I like its looks, sounds and torque but it's too big and too heavy for the performance.

....and maybe drop the shaft drive while they're at it?

olie
10-12-2006, 12:02 PM
you made me laugh !!!:bump:

teacherboy
10-12-2006, 02:24 PM
FWIW I think it's a nice looking bike. I think the beauty of the Guzzi is that it is different than just about everything else. I don't think anyone buys one believing it's the hottest thing out there, just as we didn't buy our Aprilia's to believe it's the hottest thing out there. Each bike speaks it's own language to a particular audience. :cheers:

Winnipeger
10-14-2006, 07:32 PM
http://www.motoguzzi.it/servonline/news/foto/31.jpg

http://www.motoguzzi.it/servonline/news/foto/1200sport-dett.jpg

Moto Guzzi’s sporting soul has found a new outlet in a brand new, high class naked. The new 1200 Sport is packed with personality and stylish design and is endowed with an impressive chassis and riding ergonomics. The new arrival is powered by the latest 1200 cc version of the legendary 90° V twin.

Once glance is enough to know that the new Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport is destined to become a real cult for riders who demand both elegance and performance. The colour schemes of the nose fairing and seat cover recall the graphics of the world of racing, and the wave discs of the front brakes, the stylish exhaust and the rear-set footrests immediately tell you that this new Guzzi has a genuine sports character. Of course, to appreciate the 1200 Sport properly, you need to ride it. Only from the riding seat can you appreciate the bike’s exceptional agility. Because the 1200 Sport permits amazing performance indeed on country roads, bringing you a unique level of satisfaction and pleasure.

The new Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport also excels as a tourer. Despite its sporting looks, everything about the bike has been designed for unrivalled rider and passenger comfort. The seat incorporates a special comfort padding to give the rider excellent support, while ideal weight distribution and centralised mass give the bike the sort of manoeuvrability that is rare even among smaller machines. Direction changes are performed quickly and easily and with an agility that turns a twisting road into a source of genuine riding pleasure. With an amazingly rigid steel frame, and fully adjustable front fork and rear monoshock, the chassis guarantees touring comfort and superb road holding under sports riding conditions. On long journeys you will also appreciate the protection afforded by the nose fairing as well as the easy-to-read instruments with their elegant new white background. Safe, responsive braking is guaranteed by a system that comprises, at the front, two 320 mm wave discs and a 4-piston caliper, and at the rear a single 298 mm disc with a 2-piston caliper. If you ride all year round and in all weathers, Moto Guzzi also offers you an ABS version with conventional front brake discs.

The 1200 Sport is powered by Moto Guzzi’s legendary V twin, an engine that has come to symbolise production at Mandello. On the outside the new engine might look conventional, but the power on the inside is all new. With a displacement of 1151 cc the new powerplant delivers a maximum power of over 70 kW (95 HP) at 7.800 rpm, and a maximum torque of over 100 Nm at 5,800 rpm. The new 1200 Sport therefore gives you Moto Guzzi’s legendary torque with a higher maximum power and a better power distribution throughout the rev range. So your ride is always satisfying and exciting, whether your route takes you down the motorway or along winding country roads. Engine performance has been enhanced by improving the intake system and fitting a new high performance filter element, and by optimising the efficiency of the inlet and exhaust ports to increase gas flow and improve responsiveness. Even the mapping of the engine control unit has been chosen to suit a sports riding style as well as to extend the engine’s rev range. The adoption of electronic fuel injection on the other hand has made it possible to keep this increased power impressively linear, to reduce fuel consumption and to maintain emission levels well within Euro3 standards. The alternator is mounted between the two cylinders to keep the dimensions of the engine as compact as possible, with obvious benefits for handling and rideability. Similar advantages come from the choice of a CA.R.C. compact reactive shaft drive system, Moto Guzzi's patented final drive that ensures instant response to throttle input without any of the jerks associated with conventional shaft drive systems.

The 1200 Sport also has an extensive range of accessories to let you personalise your bike according to your own needs. The range includes a 29 litre pannier kit, a choice of 28 or 49 litre top boxes, a lower seat, a tank bag, and more besides, all designed to improve comfort and make your riding even more enjoyable. If you want to unleash the 1200 Sport’s racing soul on the track, you can choose between two separate performance kits to boost the power of the mighty Guzzi V twin to over 100 HP .

The Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport will be on sale in Guzzi Black or Corsa Red from October 2006 at a price of 12,190 Euros or 12,890 Euros for the ABS version (on the road).

falcomax
10-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Any word on whether this bike is coming to the US?

Quirky
10-16-2006, 03:51 PM
With a displacement of 1151 cc the new powerplant delivers a maximum power of over 70 kW (95 HP) at 7.800 rpm, and a maximum torque of over 100 Nm at 5,800 rpm. The new 1200 Sport therefore gives you Moto Guzzi’s legendary torque with a higher maximum power and a better power distribution throughout the rev range.
I find the new Guzzi interesting and it looks pretty nice, but what I'd like to know, and what I'm 'concerned' about is the weight of the thing. Looks like the rear has been borrowed from Norge/Breva and the front looks like a cross breed between Griso and Breva. Those power and torque numbers don't seem too impressive for a 1200cc unit, when, for example, compared to those of my Falco, which also weights much less than, say, Breva.
Nevertheless, I'm still looking forward to seeing this one live, eventually. Meanwhile I'd like to know some further specs, especially the dry weight of it. Just out of curiosity, for starters. I don't think it is likely to make a perfect Aprilia replacement but still, it could make a nice quirky air cooled "sportbike," eventually, when I get old and lazy enough not to be bothered with lubing and minding the chain. ;)

Jupiter
10-17-2006, 10:18 AM
For me, this bike has the sex appeal that the Breva lacks. The Breva is competent and nicely finished. It wants respect as an appliance rather than a stir-your-guts emotional pull that I think a motorbike should have.

The 1200S has that emotional something, though. It's butch and purposeful. If I was looking at a bike like the BMW R1200R or even an R1200S (bikes that also nicely built and "too heavy" and "too slow"), the 1200S Guzzi has more visceral attraction than either.

Winnipeger
10-18-2006, 07:15 AM
Meanwhile I'd like to know some further specs, especially the dry weight of it. Just out of curiosity, for starters. I don't think it is likely to make a perfect Aprilia replacement but still, it could make a nice quirky air cooled "sportbike," eventually, when I get old and lazy enough not to be bothered with lubing and minding the chain. ;)

http://www.motoguzzi.it/Nuovi_modelli/1200sport/specifiche.asp?modello=1200sport&pagina=spec

Specs now up on Moto Guzzi website...

OZSLR
10-18-2006, 06:27 PM
FWIW I think it's a nice looking bike. I think the beauty of the Guzzi is that it is different than just about everything else. I don't think anyone buys one believing it's the hottest thing out there, just as we didn't buy our Aprilia's to believe it's the hottest thing out there. Each bike speaks it's own language to a particular audience. :cheers:

Could not agree more !

Some of us buy bikes purely because of the feeling they give when you ride them and looks are secondary, others buy them because of the feeling it gives them in thinking that everyone admires the bike they are on, be it looks or represented performance, and many a combination of both.

We just finsihed the Melbourne Motorcycle show, where we had 23 bikes on display across the aprilia bike/scooter and MG range. The enquiry rate and post sales activity was in the realm of 7 to 1 MG to aprilia, and our stand was observed as being the busiest of all.

Guzzi caters for a market they believe exists, as does aprilia, and every other manufacturer. In recent time in the Australian market, the 2 brands that have experienced phenomenol growth, are Triumph and HD, whilst the bleeding edge sports bike market is in decline. The growing market is cruiser, tourers and nakeds.

How can this be any more parts bin than the RSVR/RSVR Factory/Tuono/Tuono Factory ? We all want variation whilst keeping prices in check, so how else do you achieve this if not for leveraging on common and proven platforms ?? To have standalone designs in what is a boutique market sector and volumes relative to that, would surely be an unsound financial proposition ?

RadDad25
10-18-2006, 11:04 PM
Good points. Moto Guzzi is a little like an Italian Harley Davidson. This bike at 1200 cc's could make 90 HP. Air cooled, heavy and under-engineered in general. They do have a loyal following so their market does exist.
I would want an MGS01 if they made one.

Quirky
10-19-2006, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the link, 'peger. Well, I like the looks of the bike, quite a lot in fact, for some strange reason. The only things that I'm a bit wary about are the weight, 229kg (almost 505lbs), and the 'only' 90 something horsepower, with the 100 something Nm easily consumed in hauling that heavy lump into speed. A good looking sporty bike which runs like a cruiser and accelerates like a RV? :confused:

Anyway, I've made up my mind to at least go and see one live, and to take it for a spin, just to satisfy my curiosity. The local dealer said that with some luck, the first opportunity could come as soon as within a couple of weeks, but the real production of that model will start and the first bikes will start appearing within November. There is a number of pre-production models circulating around the dealers and apparently press these days. The produciton model will at first be available in black and red. If I only had a slightly bigger budget, I would probably go and buy a red one just for the heck of it, and keep another, a bit ligher and more agile bike aside.

RossGuzzi
11-02-2006, 03:39 AM
Dont forget that with a change of pipes and airfilter, Guzzis respond well to these things!!
:cheers:

JohnG.
11-11-2006, 02:58 AM
Good points. Moto Guzzi is a little like an Italian Harley Davidson. This bike at 1200 cc's could make 90 HP. Air cooled, heavy and under-engineered in general. They do have a loyal following so their market does exist.
I would want an MGS01 if they made one.

What a shame the MGS01 isnt a street bike...MG is missing out big time(IMO)
The Breva 'Sport' is more like a naked tourer to me...

orangeokie
08-23-2011, 09:36 PM
I would like to know more about these performance add ons. Are they actually available? Pete?

If performance upgrades are what you’re looking for Moto Guzzi supplies two racing kits. Level 1 includes velocity stacks, a 2-2 racing style exhaust and a remapped ECU. Level 2 consists of level 1 along with polished ports on high-compression racing heads. With either one of these kits installed HP and torque are sure to improve so the speed demon within you should be satisfied. LINK ( http://www2.2wf.com/index.php/biketests-mainmenu/2008-menu/494-2008-moto-guzzi-breva-1200-sport?start=2)

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s33/orangeokie/moto-guzzi-sport-corsa-2.jpg

JAndrewG
08-23-2011, 10:22 PM
The mods listed are for the 2 valve engine, not the 4v/8v.

I think this is a pic of the Lafranconi exhaust that's part of the kit listed. A guy at Moto International came in for service when I was there several months ago and had it. Problem for me is that it wouldn't allow the Norge luggage...

http://www.motards-online.com/moto-essais-articles/images/illus/moto-guzzi-1200sport-f2-2007-f5.jpg

OZSLR
09-02-2011, 03:40 AM
Well I've just added a 1200 Sport 2V to the garage to join the LM Mark III. Traded the Falco and got a ripper deal on a 2007 Model still new and that had been sitting at a dealer for 4 years. Had been considering a Griso, but I liked the larger tank and that it came with hard luggage.

Can't wait to get some good miles on it!

RossGuzzi
09-02-2011, 07:17 AM
YOU WHAT ??

Well at least it wasnt for some cookie cutter.

Let us know how she goes !

JAndrewG
09-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Well I've just added a 1200 Sport 2V to the garage to join the LM Mark III. Traded the Falco and got a ripper deal on a 2007 Model still new and that had been sitting at a dealer for 4 years. Had been considering a Griso, but I liked the larger tank and that it came with hard luggage.

Can't wait to get some good miles on it!

Pretty much the same here- got a great deal on the 1200 Sport, liked the styling, the larger tank, and that I could get the hard luggage for it.

Feedback when you have it please!

SF2DieHard
09-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Time for me to go find the link that listed bikes and their power, weight, price and engine config. The Griso 8v was DEFINITELY the hottest Guzzi (when looking at power/weight ratio). I don't remember the list including the Sport. It did include the Breva. And the Norge.
I am very biased towards the 8v.

DM

JAndrewG
09-02-2011, 01:17 PM
The Breva arrived here in the States as an 1100 2v, the Norge was a 1200 2v. I remember seeing a mag test (or 'first ride'?) on the 1100 Breva that said they wished it had come with the Norge engine. So, a year (or 2?) later the Breva 1200 Sport came to the U.S. as an '08 model with the Norge engine. I think it's in the same state of tune exactly, which is to say torquey and not a big horsepower bike.

The fueling on mine was really flawed off the showroom. Lots of popping on decel, erratic idle, where sometimes it would sit at 2k rpm at a light even when warm. The guys at Moto I put a resistor in the wire from the ambient temp sensor that fools the ECU into richening the mixture. At least that's what I think they did.

It helped quite a bit. I still don't like the stepper motor that gradually lets the engine idle down. Guzzitech sells a switch that allows you to turn the thing off. I wonder if that would make engine braking a lot worse? As is it, these bikes have a bunch of it and a strong rear brake, so you have to be careful not to lock up the rear entering a corner when being aggressive.

Otherwise I really like it. It's the heaviest bike in the garage but really turns easily. I've learned to short shift it and it does have nice torque... and a nice sound too, even with the stock exhaust can. Lots of intake howl. :)

Check out Seattle Craigslist right now, they've got an 1100 mile Sport listed.

rdbandkab
09-02-2011, 03:29 PM
I think it would be interesting to try and mount up the Lafranconi double system (doesn't look to add to much gerth to the left side of the bike) and then space out a GIVI or H/B set of hard bags up to it.

JAndrewG
09-02-2011, 07:39 PM
I thought about that too, but the Norge luggage is well designed and looks good too. I bought the soft liners that Guzzi offers for them which makes it nice to load in the house and then put in the hard luggage.

You're right, the Lafranconi is narrow and it's nice looking. I only saw it once and I don't know if the guy had DB killers in or not, but it had a good sound, not very loud.

Jason at Moto I said he actually likes the Breva 1100 riding position better than the Sport. Oh, and those neat looking front rotors made by Braking in Italy that the Sport has? Mine are warped I think, 'cause they surge pretty bad already.

OZSLR
09-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Feedback when you have it please!

I had previously owned a 2005 Breva which I had put Sport 1200 fairing, risers and Tuono bars on. It had hard luggage and both solo and 2 up toured for almost 40,000k's. I foolishly sold it 3 years ago thinking I wanted to go back to a more "sports" oriented bike in what would be my 3rd Falco (yes I had a habit of changing bikes every couple of years). Whilst I loved the Falco, it never felt comfortable at "sensible" speeds and in the state where I live there is a speed camera (sorry, road safety camera) around every bend (actually only on the straights).

The Sport joins a Mark III LeMans in the shed so I am somewhat of a Guzzi tragic, and my first impressions are (bearing in mind I am running it in).

Doing 250k's on Saturday 2 up with the wife, I recalled what a stable and easy handling bike the Breva/Norge/Sport platform is, especially carrying a load. Suspension is firmer than the Breva I had, a little too much so in the front and while a few clicks less comp and rebound on the front had it feeling better, I will try and set up pre load on the weekend.

I dont like the bar position and feels neither forward enough to be a sports crouch or upright enough for a traditional posture. A set of Tuono bars is my first change. Its not just the angle forward, but also that it oddly angles your wrists (IMHO)

The engine is a gem, even at run in RPM, and what I like is it will happily tootle 2 up but for the few times I gave it a bit of stick, it had great torque, again, perfect for real world road riding. I also dont mind the standard pipe or the popping on the down change (although probably prefer without). Enough "volume" from the pipe to be heard through ear plugs but not too much to drown out the nice induction roar as you give it some. Think I'll live with it for a while before I do anything, if I do at all. Spins up more quickly than the Breva 1100 engine and has a definite kick in the mid range. Still a bit doughey off the start and requires a bit more throttle than you would think a 1200 twin would need.

The only fault I have at the moment, is an annoying and rather loud vibration from under the front fairing between 3500-4000 RPM that I have to get to to find out (wasn't obvious but sounded like it may have been from within the headlight housing). I wonder what the tech was thinking when he did the pre delivery road test? Wife also said the LHS footpeg vibrated badly at the same RPM, something she never had on the Breva as I had fitted a stubby MotoGP type pipe to the collector box so no can mounted to the peg as with this one.

Have a Breva seat on order (they are so cheap) as much better for 2 up work, as well as Norge Panniers and a rear bracket to mount a top box when needed.

JAndrewG
09-05-2011, 09:54 AM
OZSLR, thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts. I agree completely.

Odd, but my bike as delivered was very softly set up. A couple of clicks more of comp and reb dampening on the front, and two more of comp on the rear plus a twist of more preload helped a lot. It no longer wallows when aggressive in a corner, but it is harsh on a sharp edged bump in the road now. I think I'll soften it up a click to find good middle ground. By the way, I was told the Sport has cartridge forks that are an upgrade to the stockers on the Norge.

Yes, the bars for me aren't too low, but they do have my wrists at an odd angle. Seems too straight, not enough bend back. I haven't done anything with them yet, but I guess Renthal Fat Bars, Tuono, or Mana bars are good options. I see that Speigler now have a series of tapered bars. I have their 'Superbike Low' bars on my Duc GT and like them a lot, so might go that direction.

I thought too that I would surely change out the exhaust can, but as I put miles on it the tone has deepened, and that combined with the intake make it a pleasant sound. Mr. Roper warns of an open exhaust leaning an already lean bike, and that gives me pause as well. I keep thinking I'll drill out the stock can's rivits and remove some of the packing to give it a little more 'rumble' without any less restriction, but instead I jump on it every day for the ride to my office.

I have a loud rattle now and then from the headlight / fairing area too and can't decide where exactly it's coming from. Also and oddly enough, I recently had the low beam headlight bulb go out. Turns out it's a standard item easily bought at the local auto parts, but if it had gone at night I'd have had a tough time on just the high beam. The headlight works well though, putting out a good broad band of light.

The 1200 fairing you put on your Breva didn't have the same rattle?

OZSLR
09-05-2011, 08:15 PM
No rattle on the Breva no. It is a definite and strong vibration at only specific revs and I suspect it is within the headlight housing so I am going to pull it apart on the weekend and investigate. Will let you know what I find.

JAndrewG
09-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Well that is interesting your Breva didn't rattle. I thought when I pulled the headlight bulb to change it that I would find something loose in there... but didn't. It was a bit of a project to change too. The bikini fairing has to come off, then the headlight 'bucket' so you can get to the back of it.

Yes please, if you find where it's coming from please let us know.

By the way, a buddy of mine is from 'Tazzie' (as he calls it). He's been here 30 years, but his brother came up for a month in July for the first time and went with us on a 1000 mile ride to Laguna Seca for the MotoGP races. Those two were great fun on the trip. Never met an Aussie that wasn't a real character... :)

Have fun with that new Sport. Rode mine today again...

pete roper
09-06-2011, 03:11 AM
Dont forget that with a change of pipes and airfilter, Guzzis respond well to these things!!
:cheers:

Actually Ross the W5AM equipped bikes don't. Opening up the air filter and puting on a free flowing pipe will just result in a horrific hole in the midrange and lots of backfiring on the over-run. the whole way these things fuel up is very different to the earlier M15 bikes, even the RC's.

Yes,you can tackle the problem, but it is mostly marginally effective band aids or a full-house, very expensive, fully adjustable with reflashing upgrade for the original 'pooter. It all depends on how deep your pockets are and how important it is that you make a noise.

OZSLR
09-06-2011, 04:18 AM
I agree Pete, the Sport1200 engine feels a marked improvement over the Breva 1100 I had and I've yet to stretch it's legs. The power feels relatively linear and for the first time ever in 30 odd years, I am relatively happy with the standard pipe.

SF2DieHard
09-06-2011, 11:39 PM
I agree Pete, the Sport1200 engine feels a marked improvement over the Breva 1100 I had and I've yet to stretch it's legs. The power feels relatively linear and for the first time ever in 30 odd years, I am relatively happy with the standard pipe.

? I'm confused. ? j/k

DM

OZSLR
09-18-2011, 07:48 PM
I have a loud rattle now and then from the headlight / fairing area too and can't decide where exactly it's coming from.

I pulled the front fairing off 2 weekends ago to fit up a set of Renthals and to do some re routing of the cables, and found the LHS fairing mount where the bolt goes through into the headlight bracket, shattered and holding nothing. After taking it in for inspection and a warranty claim lodged, I rebuilt it with araldite and now no audible vibration.

I also tightened up the oil filter which after getting home from the first day out, left a small pool of oil on the shed floor. Got to love the dealer pre delivery checks!

I've also noticed some slight weeping around the join on the Carc assembly and also on one of the front oil lines out of the cooler.

600k's on it now and it will be going to a trusted mechanic for it's first service and a good look over!

Still happy with the standard pipe. Just enough noise from the can and the induction sound is a treat.

Pillion pegs were replaced with Norges and the rider pegs will go to Brevas shortly. The standard ones are too short IMHO and dangerous with a wet boot sole.

Aside from that, I just love it!!!

JAndrewG
09-18-2011, 10:55 PM
I pulled the front fairing off 2 weekends ago to fit up a set of Renthals and to do some re routing of the cables, and found the LHS fairing mount where the bolt goes through into the headlight bracket, shattered and holding nothing. After taking it in for inspection and a warranty claim lodged, I rebuilt it with araldite and now no audible vibration.

Interesting. When I changed the low beam bulb in mine, one of the bolts was cross threaded a bit and loose I thought. Though I didn't change it (was too late in the day to chase one) I put anti seize on it and made sure everything was snug/tight. No rattles since.

I also tightened up the oil filter which after getting home from the first day out, left a small pool of oil on the shed floor. Got to love the dealer pre delivery checks!

I've also noticed some slight weeping around the join on the Carc assembly and also on one of the front oil lines out of the cooler.

One of the cooler lines on mine is weeping a little and I need to check it. Seems to be where the 90 degree fitting comes out of the block and crosses over to the left side of the bike.

600k's on it now and it will be going to a trusted mechanic for it's first service and a good look over!

Still happy with the standard pipe. Just enough noise from the can and the induction sound is a treat.

Pillion pegs were replaced with Norges and the rider pegs will go to Brevas shortly. The standard ones are too short IMHO and dangerous with a wet boot sole.

Yeah, the stock pegs are slippery when wet for sure. The Brevas are longer and have better grip? I thought about running a rasp along the top of my pegs to rough 'em up a little.

Aside from that, I just love it!!!

Thanks for the input. Helpful, glad you like it! I really notice with mine that it seems to loosen up and feel stronger as I put miles on it. Sadly, after a full year now, I've only got 3500 miles on her. I split time with the other Italian steeds in the garage and took the Aprilia on the long trip this year to Laguna...