PDA

View Full Version : Do you like your SXV?

blow03ss
08-20-2006, 01:12 PM
OK now that you guys have had the weekend to ride your new bikes tell what you think. I have read this review and that one, but tell me if you would reccomend the bike. What are your complaints thus far and are you looking for more HP or is it plenty as it is? I know that the bikes are in break in phase but for the most part you can tell if your going to need some more HP to have fun. While I plan to race mine I want to get started on getting packages (gearing, exhaust, mapping) set up for the owners. Like I mentioned before the dealer and myself will use my bike as a test mule for all sorts of tunning and set up.

waxxer
08-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Just got my real first ride in this AM.There is a road in Santa Clara County that is the perfect test location: Page Mill road is best described as a 2 lane (narrow) paved fire road. It is so tight and steep in some areas that lots of bikes go down, cars bottom out in dips followed by sharp rises that makes most people sea sick. This is Supermoto heaven.

Before I took on the gauntlet I added some additional heat shielding around the exhaust. I believe the plastic will start to melt or at least discolor around the pipe stingers. This is a great area for the first after market carbon fiber producer; replace the aluminum heat shielding with something that does not conduct heat--at all.

Up Page Mill without exceeding 7000RPM. The 550 was very nimble. Then again I am used to throwing around a Duc or my Tuono R. The 550 is truly back to the dirt feel for me. I could easy loft the front end out of turns and change lines effortlessly. After about 3 turns I started to push the 208s a bit. The bike stuck fine. THe suspension also appeared to work well in this first ride. I stayed seated (ouch, know what Monkey bitt is??)the whole way up the mountain. I took the pot holes dead on. I never backed off when encountering bumps in turns. The bike is a bit twitchy almost like a CR250 Honda.

The power is smooth and fairly linear under 7000K. I had no issues with vibration. After about 30 miles of mountain twisties my face was sore from smiling. I had a complete riot.

Around town the bike is OK. It is not meant for droning along. It would be aweful to ride on long straights or freeways.

Hand guards are going to a total nightmare to mount. Aprilia used to different manufacturers or at least parts that dont match from left to right.

Anybody have any suggestions on the remedy for hanguards??

For supermoto i would stiffen the suspension up a tad.

I hope this information helps.:cheers: :cheers:

RZRob
08-21-2006, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the detailed summary Waxxer,

I'm glad you're happy with the bike so far. I can really imagine the type of road you were on and the fun you must have been having. I think I might have done that road before on one of my NorCal trips.

I was recently in Sonoma and had my RS250 on some back roads up there. It was a blast, but a little effort to throw around. Based on your summary, I can imagine the SXV would be ideal.

I hope someone posts solutions to the handguards and exhaust heat issues. What dealer did you go through?

RZ Rob

geoff
08-21-2006, 10:12 AM
My Acerbis handguards fitted a treat - used the fat bar kit. I went for a red set and the red is slightly different to the Ape red. Will buy a black pair when I get round to it.

As for the bike. Love it, went from a 500cc Husaberg, so I'm used to supermoto. This one rocks though, stoppies and wheelies are done with too much ease.

Just need a better exhaust and a custom mapped PCIII(if they ever make them) and I'll be set.

Spend you money on not only one of the best handling supermotos, it has to be the best looking one.

waxxer
08-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Do the Acerbis have the aluminum frame behind the plastic protection?? I want to mount the "Bark Buster" style that either mounts to the bar end and upper triple clamp or bar end to bar just past the lever purch.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Dcups
08-21-2006, 02:41 PM
I just order Pro Tapers w/triple tree mounts... should be here by end of week.

aslo Cycra hand guards the slim and fat ones aswell...

RSV1000RnAZ
08-21-2006, 03:50 PM
Just got my real first ride in this AM.There is a road in Santa Clara County that is the perfect test location: Page Mill road is best described as a 2 lane (narrow) paved fire road. It is so tight and steep in some areas that lots of bikes go down, cars bottom out in dips followed by sharp rises that makes most people sea sick. This is Supermoto heaven.

Before I took on the gauntlet I added some additional heat shielding around the exhaust. I believe the plastic will start to melt or at least discolor around the pipe stingers. This is a great area for the first after market carbon fiber producer; replace the aluminum heat shielding with something that does not conduct heat--at all.

Up Page Mill without exceeding 7000RPM. The 550 was very nimble. Then again I am used to throwing around a Duc or my Tuono R. The 550 is truly back to the dirt feel for me. I could easy loft the front end out of turns and change lines effortlessly. After about 3 turns I started to push the 208s a bit. The bike stuck fine. THe suspension also appeared to work well in this first ride. I stayed seated (ouch, know what Monkey bitt is??)the whole way up the mountain. I took the pot holes dead on. I never backed off when encountering bumps in turns. The bike is a bit twitchy almost like a CR250 Honda.

The power is smooth and fairly linear under 7000K. I had no issues with vibration. After about 30 miles of mountain twisties my face was sore from smiling. I had a complete riot.

Around town the bike is OK. It is not meant for droning along. It would be aweful to ride on long straights or freeways.

Hand guards are going to a total nightmare to mount. Aprilia used to different manufacturers or at least parts that dont match from left to right.

Anybody have any suggestions on the remedy for hanguards??

For supermoto i would stiffen the suspension up a tad.

I hope this information helps.:cheers: :cheers:

So your bike is street legal? How did you do so?

waxxer
08-21-2006, 05:55 PM
So your bike is street legal? How did you do so?

I plead the fifth amendment.:burnout:

waxxer
08-21-2006, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=Dcups]I just order Pro Tapers w/triple tree mounts... should be here by end of week.

Who makes the guards and do you have a part number?:worship:

mnm222876
08-21-2006, 07:16 PM
I plead the fifth amendment.:burnout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdqTFBvmsOk

waxxer
08-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Fuck!! I love Dave Chapelle. This is one of favorites of DC!!! I also enjoyed the race draft among others.

Good stuff!:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

geoff
08-22-2006, 01:13 AM
Acerbis has ali frame, and a mount to go near the levers. Acerbis Rally Pro handguards, with the Fatbar fitting kit.

http://www.missionmx.co.uk/acatalog/Mission_MX_Shop_Acerbis_Handguards_44.html

the shop in the UK where I got them.