PDA

View Full Version : Derestricted advice

teej710
06-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Hi all,

Need some advice on a derestricted sxv5.5. Had mine derestricted yesterday by a main aprilia dealer. When it is restricted it ticked over at 2800rpm +-100, when hot. I told the dealer this seemed high. They said it would be sorted by the derestriction.

After the derestriction, in neutral the tickover was 2400rpm +-100, but once ridden for 20 miles the tickover was now 3500rpm !! once stood for a while (engine off, but still warm) the tickover was back to 2400rpm +-100. The dealer (via telephone) suggested turning the knob on left hand side of air box slightly to reduce standing tickover. I reduced it to 2000rpm +-100, while warm. The next morning the bike wouldn't start, just kept cutting out. I adjusted the knob back and it finally started running again. PS. The choke button seems to do very little.

Is this normal behavior ? if not, how can it be fixed ?

All sensible help apreciated.

cheers

bounty
06-18-2006, 04:24 PM
you need to adjust the slack in the throttle cable for the yellow cold-start button to be effective.

With the motor hot, adjust idle rpm at 2'000 as you already did with the knob on the air box. Then engage the yellow cold-start button and adjust the slack in the throttle cable to over 3'000 rpm.

Check the settings the next morning.

teej710
06-19-2006, 02:46 PM
thanks, I'll give it a try

teej710
06-29-2006, 04:20 PM
well, couldn't get the suggestion to work, so the bike went back to the dealers. Dealers say the bike is working fine and they're all like it (see original post). Apparantly, the choke button doesn't work, its a design fault ???? which seems very strange to me.

does anybody elses choke button work???? and what exactly happens when you press it ?????

SbikeMotard
07-04-2006, 01:38 AM
i asked about the de-restriction to my future sxv dealer.

i told him about the throttle re-mapping after the restriction remove.

they will set up everything he said..

must be an Axon hardware or can be a similar hardware too?
i don't know if they got that Axon.

i'm afraid they just remove the throttle restriction without remapping or remapping wrong everything.

so after that, how the engine must go and run, how many rpm on the tickover (without the restriction) with cold and hot engine?

i understand how to regulate the idle with hot engine, but not with the cod engine start ( choke - yellow assisted accension function )

thanx

Matthew Roche
07-04-2006, 08:12 AM
The so called choke is simply a mechanical latch which hooks onto a recess on the throttle barrel and hold teh throllte open a little.
Another brilliant piece of Italian ingenuity.

SbikeMotard
07-04-2006, 11:34 AM
i'm Italian :O

LOL

:cheers:

LuKe450
07-10-2006, 08:11 PM
After mine was de-restricted it was re-mapped.
It idles at 2200rpm & I was told by the dealer that at the 300km 1st service they will again re-map it & it will idle lower again...

teej710
07-11-2006, 07:41 AM
Hi LuKe450,

No mention of re-mapping mine by dealer, do you know what the new mapping is going to give you ??????

Does yours start OK when cold ?, not that it actually gets cold in Oz...LOL

LuKe450
07-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Hi LuKe450,

No mention of re-mapping mine by dealer, do you know what the new mapping is going to give you ??????

Does yours start OK when cold ?, not that it actually gets cold in Oz...LOL

Since collecting it from the bike shop I have only ridden mine once in a 110km round trip through the mountains near my home & the fuel light came on after 105kms from a full tank. It started ok cold in the morning. It was 8 degrees so it was wasn't warm weather. I will be contacting my dealer today as it doesn't seem to rev cleanly. It has only completed 125kms in total & the engine must still be tight but my current Husky TE450 enduro bike would put this thing to shame. At the moment it feels as though its not getting enough fuel down low in the rev range as it doesn't feel very stong off the bottom...

Mine was the first one out of the door from this bike shop so I doubt they know much as yet. Will keep you updated of my findings !

OK. Just got off the phone with the dealer. My bike is booked in today for a re-map. What they did say they did before I took delivery was ONLY the throttle balancing not a re-map. Thank God for that!! I told them about the different fuel maps one of the guys on here has spoken of & they said they knew alllll about the various fuel maps & will set mine up accordingly. Will let you know how it goes after I collect it.

LuKe450
07-12-2006, 05:42 PM
OK.

Yesterday my SXV450 was re-mapped with the latest mapping. They didn't have time to take the cones out of the exhaust system - this will be done tomorrow on the first service then all should be how it's supposed to be.

I took it out for a 70km run through the hills near my home after the 'upgrade' & now it feels much better however there is a slight hesitation between 6800-7200rpm... I was told this will disappear after the cones are taken out & I have them re-map it to the Termignoni map setting. The bike still feels like it is choked up a bit. My current 2005 model enduro Husky TE450 would blow this thing into the weeds engine wise right now...

I can't wait for tomorrow afternoon to come around. Looking forward to experiencing what I expected to have straight out of the shop. Hopefully all this messing about will be worthwhile :burnout:

I have a ride planned with a mate of mine who has a FE501 Berger with motard set up through the hills this Saturday morning for a couple of hours & I don't need him to show me up...

Quix
07-12-2006, 07:04 PM
It's a new bike and "maybe" the shops don't know about them? Really is this acceptable? Surely the bikes come in get all the derestricting work done, remapped and that's it?

I can't believe the amount of fiddling that seems to be going on just to get these thing running correctly.

Nor can I fatham why they were released for the road at all. A $AU16,500 bike that if kept in restricted form has a 24 month warranty. Why would you pay $AU16,500 for a bike that pulls as hard as a Vespa in restricted form?

You derestrict it to get some value for money and you get no warranty at all!

1st model and no warranty sounds like a dodgey decision to me. These ARE race bikes so why make them streetable at all?

LuKe450
07-12-2006, 08:01 PM
It's a new bike and "maybe" the shops don't know about them? Really is this acceptable? Surely the bikes come in get all the derestricting work done, remapped and that's it?

I can't believe the amount of fiddling that seems to be going on just to get these thing running correctly.

Nor can I fatham why they were released for the road at all. A $AU16,500 bike that if kept in restricted form has a 24 month warranty. Why would you pay $AU16,500 for a bike that pulls as hard as a Vespa in restricted form?

You derestrict it to get some value for money and you get no warranty at all!

1st model and no warranty sounds like a dodgey decision to me. These ARE race bikes so why make them streetable at all?

I agree with you TOTALLY here. However, the shop where I purchased mine has never once mentioned that the warranty will be void if the bike is unrestricted. Furthermore I believe I did buy a race bike for the street & if it doesn't perform to my expectations it will be posted on the internet For Sale & I'll buy a FS650 Berger the next day...

Quix
07-12-2006, 08:34 PM
However, the shop where I purchased mine has never once mentioned that the warranty will be void if the bike is unrestricted.

Call them now. No warranty was a major reason I cancelled my 550.

Post back what they say. Husky offer 24 months on their 510 SMR!

amauri
07-12-2006, 11:38 PM
What I'm seeing so far on these bikes is that most of the Techs working on them come from a single cylinder & carburetor Supermoto/Motocross background.

Some donít understand multi cylinder Throttle Body synchronization, Fuel Injection or ECUís.

Using the AXONE to update maps, adjust the idle mixture, reset the TPS and diagnose problems is a mystery to most.

There will be a steep learning curve before the bikes run the way they should.
In my experience, once they are correctly setup, they perform flawlessly.

Matthew Roche
07-13-2006, 07:54 AM
Hello Amauri,

Do you race your bike or use it for the road? What have you done to your bike to make it perfect and competitive? I am all ears!!!!!!
I agree with previous comments that the SXV is a race bike and that is what Aprilia promised. You do not buy one of these for the road as they are quite a 'tight' engine.
:bangwall: I am also going to alot of effort to bring my SXV450 up to par with my current Honda CRF450. I was led to believe that the SXV would be leaps and bounds better than a single cyl 450, alas, after all the work it will probably just be the same, and for a hell of an extra cost.
I have posted info regarding mapping numbers on another thread in this forum previously. I am racing in a round of the British Champioship next week and the day before racing I am getting the bike re-mapped........again, throttles balanced and air box re-instated (after i was previously informed to cut holes in it everywhere to make more bottom end).

FORZA
07-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Use RXV cams in a 450.

Dave

LuKe450
07-14-2006, 02:42 AM
I just collected my bike from its first service. All the restrictors, cones etc have been taken out & the Termignoni mapping has been installed.

This thing has gone from tame to scary!! I love it!! My hands are still shaking...

Thanks Aprilia - what a bike :worship:

Quix
07-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Luke how'd you go on the warranty question? Can you report back please.

LuKe450
07-16-2006, 07:32 PM
Luke how'd you go on the warranty question? Can you report back please.

I have a service receipt that states 1st service plus details on how the restrictors / cones were taken out as "part of the pre-delivery" at no charge.

I questioned the warranty verses restrictors & the service manager stated the only reason the restrictors are in there is to pass them through the Australian ADR laws. He likened it to any other bike that comes in with restrictors...

So long as I have the required services & have my warranty book stamped my 2 year road warranty is safe. If I were racing it though it may be a different proposition but I didn't ask about that

SbikeMotard
07-17-2006, 03:36 AM
i just bought a SXV 550 and i 'll use it on the road, no track.

i've never rode a bike before, just 50cc scooters.

the bike is quite usable on city too !

it must be driven just with more attention, but, a city use IS POSSIBLE :), just paying a littel attention at the traffics lights cause many stops are heavy and hot for the engine.

no problems till now, apart a stupid fuse broken;the one for the battery recharging.

so, i'm fully happy with it

and when you want to open the gas with free and open road you wil be very happy as i am ;)

a very good bike, easy to use and powerful.

i don't think i will change exaust or similar things at the moment, it's perfect and i have to learn drive it at 100%

Ciao!

teej710
07-17-2006, 12:08 PM
hi luke450,

Obviously, dealerships in oz have a different set of rules to the UK. My dealer has stated in no uncertain terms, that derestricted aprilia will not honor any warranty. I don't get a free 1st service either :bangwall:

LuKe450
07-17-2006, 05:50 PM
hi luke450,

Obviously, dealerships in oz have a different set of rules to the UK. My dealer has stated in no uncertain terms, that derestricted aprilia will not honor any warranty. I don't get a free 1st service either :bangwall:

I should have been a bit clearer. There was a fee charged for the 1st service however there was no extra charge to complete the de-restriction which was mentioned on my service receipt that it was part of the pre-delivery.

Quix
07-17-2006, 08:03 PM
hi luke450,

Obviously, dealerships in oz have a different set of rules to the UK. My dealer has stated in no uncertain terms, that derestricted aprilia will not honor any warranty.

I'd like this cleared up by Aprilia Australia. The MAIN reason I didn't buy the one I ordered was that it had no warranty when derestricted. :WTF:

Man, they are a piece of art, they are high tech and they should go like a scalded cat! WHERE'S THE WARRANTY!!

LuKe450
07-17-2006, 08:17 PM
Man, they are a piece of art, they are high tech and they should go like a scalded cat! WHERE'S THE WARRANTY!!

Mine certainly goes like a scalded cat !! :burnout:

OZRS
07-17-2006, 08:40 PM
very impressed with my SXV550 and can't wait to get it de-restricted. I have a couple of questions though.

Is the only way i can check the engine/coolant temp with the Axone?

There appears to be delays on the neutral and redline lights, has anyone else experienced this?

Does the cold start/idle problem disappear upon derestriction?

LuKe450
07-17-2006, 09:17 PM
very impressed with my SXV550 and can't wait to get it de-restricted. I have a couple of questions though.

Is the only way i can check the engine/coolant temp with the Axone?

There appears to be delays on the neutral and redline lights, has anyone else experienced this?

Does the cold start/idle problem disappear upon derestriction?

Firstly, if you're impressed with your SXV550 now you'll be scared once they have de-restricted it !! :cheers:

Can't help on the temp question.

RE: The delay on the lights. Mine is the same

The cold start idle 'issue' disappeared once mine was fully de-restricted

Hope this helps..

OZRS
07-17-2006, 11:28 PM
I just collected my bike from its first service. All the restrictors, cones etc have been taken out & the Termignoni mapping has been installed.

Stupid question but what exhaust are you running. Are you running the standard system with the termi mapping? I got told the Termi exhaust isn't available in Aus yet. I have ordered a Sil Moto like what the Aprilia Aus racing team is using, but they aren't due to arrive for about a month.

LuKe450
07-18-2006, 01:30 AM
Stupid question but what exhaust are you running. Are you running the standard system with the termi mapping? I got told the Termi exhaust isn't available in Aus yet. I have ordered a Sil Moto like what the Aprilia Aus racing team is using, but they aren't due to arrive for about a month.

No question is stupid.

I'm running the standard exhaust system on my SXV450 with the "Termi" mapping. I would consider the Sil moto if I gave performance gains however I don't want it to be too much louder.

I have just been out on it now for a quick blast. It revs up like a 2-stroke after about 4500rpm... I still haven't reved it past 9000rpm & it leaves everything else (I have come across so far) on the road for dead... Mono's off the throttle away from the lights beautifully !!

SbikeMotard
07-18-2006, 01:35 AM
i got mine brand new and de-restricted cause i wanted the real engine and i know the engine suffer restricted.

my warranty is still active.

i asked my dealer and he answered me the warranty would remain removing the rerstrictions too in my case.

teej710
07-18-2006, 02:55 AM
my SXV5.5 still has problems starting when cold after derestriction. Don't know what map its running tho.

I also have the delays with neutral light delays.

In the UK, the difference between the restricted and derestricted 5.5 is unbelieveable. So as Luke450 says "you'll be scared once they have de-restricted it". To be quite honest, u soon get used to the power.

OZRS
07-18-2006, 03:09 AM
i'm glad everyone else is experiencing the same thing with the delay on the lights. I'm not really worried about the nuetral light, its surprisingly easy to find neutral on the bike. Alot better than KTMs. The delay in the redline shift light is a concern though.

SbikeMotard
07-19-2006, 12:42 PM
i'm glad everyone else is experiencing the same thing with the delay on the lights. I'm not really worried about the nuetral light, its surprisingly easy to find neutral on the bike. Alot better than KTMs. The delay in the redline shift light is a concern though.

i'm new on bikes - manual gearbox.( i used to drive 50 cc scooters )

is it possible to find the neutral from the 2nd gear ?
or every bike need to go down till 1st then to neutral?
thanx

OZRS
07-20-2006, 01:04 AM
Here's a free tip - never own up to the fact you used to ride a scooter. How does that saying go - Vespa's are like fat chicks, they're fun to ride, but don't let your mates catch you on them.

you can select nuetral from second, but on most bikes it generally easier from first.