PDA

View Full Version : How long?

Readmarx
06-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Three weeks ago I came off my track bike and fractured my collarbone. I had a session in the fracture clinic two days ago (no x-ray), but the doctor says it's not bad. I've got good mobility back and my arm's out of the sling and I can put some weight on it and I'll start gentle exercise again tonight.

Have you broken/fractured a collarbone before and if so how long was it before you were riding/steering/leaning/braking as normal?

RFM
06-07-2006, 12:26 PM
I took a tumble when a car pulled into me whilst turning left. I was out for six weeks, and then about 20 rehab sessions were provided through insurance. From my experience, those were crap- do this with an elastic band, and do this with a 2 1/2 lb weight. They offered Yoga at the gym though, and that has been invaluable. Full mobility without soreness, and many lovely young ladies to keep the motivation up.;)

Readmarx
06-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Yoga sounds good...

http://www.funbay.com/members/dir04/0308/pc0194sc/page1.html

Start at page 1 and progress gently as stiffness increases?

p.s. Don't open at work/home/kids

I'll get back onto my cycle tonight (static rollers) to get some cardiovascular strength back, but what I miss is not being able to get on my rowing machine - I can feel my shoulders wasting away:pissed:

RFM
06-07-2006, 03:01 PM
I must be in the wrong class. It works though- with rollers, yoga, lifting, rollerblading, and mountainbiking I went from 220 and lethargic to 185 and just did a triathalon last month- with no soreness in the wrists or shoulders(crash broke collarbone and both wrists).:)

Readmarx
06-07-2006, 03:08 PM
I went over the bars to the side as the bike went down on the grass and instinctively reached out....

How did you do both collarbones and wrists? Sounds nasty.

Silver-Bolt
06-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Seems like my last collar bone was about 6 weeks to get about 75% stregth back. Pain free and back 100% hasn't happened yet (10 years). LOL

RFM
06-07-2006, 03:16 PM
I went over the bars to the side as the bike went down on the grass and instinctively reached out....

How did you do both collarbones and wrists? Sounds nasty.

One collarbone and two wrists. Did it when a guy late for a dentist tried to turn left quickly before the approaching truck- completely oblivious to the motorcycle in front of it.:confused:

Readmarx
06-07-2006, 03:34 PM
6 weeks sounds about spot on from what I'm hearing, Silver. I've just gotta get used to it:whiner:

They do that over here aswell RFM. Except they turn right in front of you whilst talking on their phones.....

chsnprodigy
06-07-2006, 03:39 PM
I dislocated my colar bone from a high side on the track. It took around 1 month to get back to strength. But even now its still sore when it gets cold out.

RFM
06-07-2006, 03:42 PM
6 weeks sounds about spot on from what I'm hearing, Silver. I've just gotta get used to it:whiner:

They do that over here aswell RFM. Except they turn right in front of you whilst talking on their phones.....

Very familiar with the concept. I learned to drive stick on an A reg. BMW 316, with my family being from Wednebury- your neck of the woods. Still have family in Cannock and Walsall.:cheers:

Chuck B
06-07-2006, 04:17 PM
That particular bone I'd wait at least 6 weeks before return to normally scheduled programing. I know too many who re-injured early and have since had daily pain/stiffness. When I cracked the Navicular in my wrist/thumb, Dr put me in one form of a cast or another for nearly 5 months. The first cast went all the way up into the shoulder. When he saided no movement in the wrist area he meant NO movement at all. I cracked it jumping a 30ft ravine. About the 12th time across I came up a foot or so short.....smack right into the side of the cliff! Bent a set of Renthals downward with my hands just from the impact. Now a days I keep the wheels on the ground...as much as possible anyways!

Jet City Racer
06-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Now a days I keep the wheels on the ground...as much as possible anyways!
No kidding, when I was 25 I would fly well over 100ft and flat land w/o a problem. Now a days, a 15 foor double scares me. :crybaby:

Readmarx
06-08-2006, 07:32 AM
chsnprodigy wrote: I dislocated my colar bone from a high side on the track. It took around 1 month to get back to strength. But even now its still sore when it gets cold out.
I know what you mean. I broke my Tibia years back doing a prachute jump and get the odd reminder during the deep/dark winter after a long ride.

RFM wrote: Very familiar with the concept. I learned to drive stick on an A reg. BMW 316, with my family being from Wednebury- your neck of the woods. Still have family in Cannock and Walsall.
I moved up here from London via Oxford & Hereford (meaningless to you guys as it's like moving around in one state), but the people up here are very friendly/genuine. Drop in for a pint next time you're over:cheers:

JCR & Chuck B sounds like you enjoyed getting some good airtime:)

williamr
06-08-2006, 09:50 AM
I seem to remember about six weeks - no rehab, but I haven't broken one for a long while now.

Rob

cavender
06-08-2006, 03:02 PM

How did you do both collarbones and wrists? Sounds nasty.be glad you didn't tear your labrum like I did when reaching out on the way down. I'm 5 months out of surgery and still not back to 100%. hard not to reach out to catch yourself though when falling.

cavender
06-08-2006, 03:04 PM
No kidding, when I was 25 I would fly well over 100ft and flat land w/o a problem. Now a days, a 15 foor double scares me. :crybaby:whimp! and to think you did gravity cavity. http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/cavender/gap.gif

Readmarx
06-08-2006, 03:16 PM
I looked up 'labrum.' Sorry to hear that. Instictive reaction's a cruel bastard sometimes:rolleyes:

Glad to hear you're keeping out of trouble, williamr:)

Readmarx
06-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Three weeks & 4 days I'm now back on my road Yamaha (XTZ/TDM hybrid). Riding's fine - no pain - so long as I don't fall off. Fracture clinic said the bone's healed very well. X-ray next week to confirm, but I can put full weight on it - though I'll still not get on my road/track sportsbikes for another three weeks to be sure. I've started cycling to get my cardiovascular fitness back up and will start rowing again in 10 days to get the strength back into the joint. It feels fantastic to be back on 2 wheels:happy: