PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia Racing SuperMoto at Infineon (Sears Point)

Suiryu
05-21-2006, 02:21 AM
I spent the day at Infineon today watching the AMA SuperBike races, and while I was there discovered that Aprilia is taking part in a round of SuperMoto (club races, not AMA) on a nice little side track. I spent some time in the paddock harassing Robert Pandya, Darryl Atkins, and the gang. They're a nice bunch, and the bike looked fantastic. Darryl rode a great race, holding off a couple of seriously fast guys until the very last lap when he was balked by a lapper in the dirt, and had to settle for second. It was the best race I saw all day!

Anyway, I snapped a few pics that I thought you guys might enjoy.

BTW, they'll be running again tomorrow (5/21) assuming they don't get totally rained out. Who knows, maybe they'll run anyway.

duc slayer
05-21-2006, 10:37 AM
sweet thanks for the pics :cheers:

NeoGeniX
05-21-2006, 05:52 PM
Woah nice pics !:plus:

Quix
05-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Why is the front caliper blue? Is that standard USA of was it changed?

NeoGeniX
05-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Think it was changed...looks like some kind of beringer kit.

Suiryu
05-21-2006, 11:25 PM
That's right, it's a Beringer piece.

Matthew Roche
05-22-2006, 03:51 AM
Hi,

Great photos! He seems to have removed the silencers? Or is this the race exhaust system? I would still have expected to see silencers out teh back though.

Also, he is running a narrower rear tyre. Is the SXV450 experiencing difficulty 'pulling' the 180 rear??

Matt

:confused:

Quix
05-22-2006, 08:01 PM
That's right, it's a Beringer piece.

I didn't even notice the disc had been changed. Doh!

OZRS
05-22-2006, 10:35 PM
prices for beringer gear etc here http://www.apriliasupermoto.com/index.php?f=data_spares_$_accessories&a=1

R Pandya
05-23-2006, 01:20 AM
Never seen my tail feathers like that...not sure I want to again!

Thanks for posting the pix - I have submitted the race reports and my pix - just need to get posted to the apriliausa.com website.

I really enjoy working with the team - what you do not see is the effort that everybody makes - even for a club race. Heather Atkins cooked lunch for us; Steve Mora drives that honking big rig back there. Mark Render our regional manager helped put up the tent etc. It all lots of work and designed to look great for the fans. We (Aprilia USA) did a lot to get the program in place - but I have got to than Darryl himself and Tim Saunders of Corona / Pacifico for the extra effort in the presentation of the team. Aside from the 1.5 inch thick mud most of the weekend ruining our day Sunday and making Friday a total mess, there are always challenges that come up. I cannot say how proud I am of the efforts of big Ed, Chuck, and everybody who has touched the program.

You all know it has been years for us to get on the race track - I do hope you all make the effort to attend a race, and thank the team for the hours of hard work that lead up to a race. Support those who support our team - Suzuka, Dunlop, Abandon Wines, Pacifico beer (every time you go out!), Thor Gear, and the rest.

It takes epic effort to race, and if you simply approve of the fact that we are racing, let Darryl, Aprilia USA and all you friends know.

And yes- Supermoto race 2 WAS the best race of the weekend!

Second place did not indicate how strong Darryl was all weekend. I'm looking forward to Wisconsin (Mom lives only a couple hours away too - home-cooked meals!) and I hope you nearby can make it - that is one of the most spectacular tracks in the US - and the mix of superbike and supermoto is way cool. www.amasupermoto.com

Also those of you who make the Springfield Mile next weekend - be sure to swing by the paddock and shake the hands of Henry Wiles and the Lloyd Brothers. These guys are David vs. Goliath personified. They too are heroes in my book. www.amaflattrack.com

Rock on -

Robert

R Pandya
05-23-2006, 01:30 AM
He seems to have removed the silencers? Or is this the race exhaust system? I would still have expected to see silencers out teh back though.

Also, he is running a narrower rear tyre. Is the SXV450 experiencing difficulty 'pulling' the 180 rear?? :confused:

That Muffler is the Silmoto Aprilia Produced race can. Single outlet under the saddle. It is a Ti system. But will be updated in several months. The FMF prototype system was built in a couple days with fairly standard parts and helped build more Hp for the 550 (the bike last weekend was the 450) but the Aprilia system offers better performance off the bottom - critical for Supermoto.

The tire is not a 180 - but a 160 (ish) that provides quicker turn-in. The Brakes are incredible according to Darryl. Full race system for the French Beringer company. Awesome. The bike also features some Works connection bits and graphics from ZLT.

Support the sponsors. Go buy some stuff!

Rp

duc slayer
05-23-2006, 11:31 AM
I've already started my buying list now we just need some bikes :cheers:

are there any races scheduled for the north east and do you know of any upcoming tv coverage?? I'm dying to see that bike run

Matthew Roche
05-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Thanks for info RP,

Always good to have some clear and accurate information.

What hp was the 450 putting out at the rear wheel in stock mode, and what is it putting out now?

My 450 is going for a Dyno test next week and it would be interesting to have a bench mark to measure against.

Also, a simple but importatnt question about sprocket sizes.

Any given track here in Ireland are a mixture of flat out 120mph straights and tight almost stopped 180 Deg corners. The track I am racing on in 2 weeks time is being used to stage the Supermoto Des Nations, 'Bishops Court', and was used for a round of the World Championship last year.

What would you recommend for this type of track as you have now had a few races. I know that it is a matter of just being below the limiter flat out on the straight but I am more concerned about adequate grunt out of the corners. There is a bit of a compromise here. I have a 15/48 setup at the moment.

Thanks

Matt:happy: