PDA

View Full Version : Removing front mudguard bolt

jrb1512
04-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Hey guys, i have to drill the head off a bolt for the front mudguard when i had the new respray as it was siezed on, whats the best way to get the thread out? pliers you reckon?

Fusian
04-23-2006, 11:42 AM
Pliers if you can, or drill small hole, tap an old screwdriver into the hole and turn!

You can get special bits to remove them but i assume they will be expensive, try not to damage the thread or you will need to cut a new one which is not fun - did it on motorsport course at uni on a cylindor head once for same reason.

jrb1512
04-23-2006, 12:10 PM
it took 5 hours drillin to get the head of the bolt off, i had to use this massive drill off the boss in the end n take the afternoon off to get it off as me paintwork was goin in next day, never doin that again lol. wish me luck, ill b back if it dont work he he

Brain_stew87
04-23-2006, 12:18 PM
you need a tap n die set, drill a hole thru current bolt , make sure its straight as it goes thru n redo the thread inside, isnt to hard i had to do it in a few areas on my bike

jrb1512
04-23-2006, 12:26 PM
i havent done it yet going to do it in week, had a smoke n too chilled out now. it was seized on so gonna take it easy with the pliers.

anyone know the sizes of the fairing bolts and the ones for the lower panel over the side stand so i can order some?

aprilakias
04-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Fairing bolts are M5.Not sure for the ones with smaller head over the stand.Can't remember if they also have thinner thread.In case they do, type is M4

-------------
Check first page of my sales topic,pics are on!

Brain_stew87
04-23-2006, 05:48 PM
or do what a mate just did to his bike about n hour ago, change the bolt size up a few