PDA

View Full Version : tuono 101...

repoe3
11-14-2005, 08:58 AM
so with only 1200 miles under the belt with the tuono, i worked out a airbox replacement kit (carbon plate, hi-flow foam filter over intake trumpets) and swapped the 17T sprocket for a 16T. holy schmokes.

buttoned her up on friday but didnt happen to try her out until saturday and even then it was only for 5 minutes.

took it down a service road adjacent to a local highway. ran it down one side and noticed the lovely intake noises borne from the new air intake setup...very nice. turned a u-turn, as soon as i was upright, i rolled on the throttle with some enthusiasm. the road starts downhill and with the upright ergos, the bike felt normal, albeit witha lighter than normal feeling front end. it wasnt until the bars had lifted even further did i realize i was about 2 feet off the ground with the front wheel. it did it so effortlessly, without warning, but without any jerky or twitch, it was rather surreal.

now make now bones about it, i liek to ride fast, but i have (had) never wheelied before...aside from getting a bit of a light front from a strong drive out of a corner on the track. even then, they are minor crossed-up wheelies. not that there is anything wrong with wheelies, just never added the to the list of riding skills. well having realized the front was on its own, i chopped the throttle and made a less than graceful landing promptly crunching my left nuticle on the tank. the pain was rather numbed against the increased heart rate at the realization of what this bike can do.

this thing is bone stock aside from the 16T countersprocket and the intake setup. can't imagine what she will be like with a pipe and chip or PCIII tuned.

the airbox replacement kit is something we (firebolter and i) whipped up and looking to spead the love to interested folks. we wont have everything completed until december some time, but its a domestically available kit that should make some aprilia owners happy. will post more info as we make more progress. the unit on my bike is the first prototype and i may not change anything on mine, but for the production models, we will tweek a few things. next thing to add is the shorter intake trumpets. hidden bling with more go to boot. :cathat:

repoe3

windy
11-14-2005, 09:20 AM
r3

Read my post titled "sorted" spooky coincidence.

MF

repoe3
11-14-2005, 09:39 AM
r3

Read my post titled "sorted" spooky coincidence.

MF

yeah, read that right after writing mine. this bike rocks.

repoe3

CarlosT
11-14-2005, 10:32 AM
No heated grips though, Repoe :D

repoe3
11-14-2005, 10:38 AM
No heated grips though, Repoe :D

yeah, i got ready to do that, but something tells me i will be holding off on that for a while...but i wont lie...i have a pigtail off the battery for heated vest and or charging the ipod :D

repoe3

CarlosT
11-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Did that before the bike even rolled outta the showroom :D

So the topic is...Winter Bikes...Tuono or S? :D

I've been digging the safety and low HP of the S recently in the more slippery days...

repoe3
11-14-2005, 10:56 AM
Did that before the bike even rolled outta the showroom :D

So the topic is...Winter Bikes...Tuono or S? :D

I've been digging the safety and low HP of the S recently in the more slippery days...

the S, hands down. rode the tuono in today...but its the S the rest of the week. the added weight and the amount of saddle time i have on that thing leaves me with more confidence in less than sticky road surfaces. plus i can bounce off things a little better when on the S :cathat:

repoe3

mikeodial
11-14-2005, 12:49 PM
the S, hands down. rode the tuono in today...but its the S the rest of the week. the added weight and the amount of saddle time i have on that thing leaves me with more confidence in less than sticky road surfaces. plus i can bounce off things a little better when on the S :cathat:

repoe3

What is the S you use in the winter?

repoe3
11-14-2005, 01:01 PM
What is the S you use in the winter?

BMW R1100SBX...been riding on since 1999. have over 50-60k miles in the saddle on three different examples. love the bike. do-all kinda thing, but sprive to boot. nothing like a proper sportbike, mind you, but stable when the weather blows and plenty of strage with bags mounted. i can make her move too. never got comfortable on my R6. i could out pace myself on one of our local smaller tracks with the beemer versus the R6. but it was a learning experience to appreciate a 4 cylinder 600. they are worth the money for that purpose. but i love twins and the tuono is perfect for the second bike in the paddock.

of course riding season about over in the next couple weeks, i can see it. the S is my primary ride no matter what time of the year. 'bolter and i did a coast to coast blitz for the motoGP back in july. DC to CA in 3 days!!!

repoe3

mikeodial
11-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Was wondering if it was the new K1200S. I have an 2002 KRS and that thing is also bulletproof in all weathers, however is also a fat pig, which has got me considering a Tuono as a stablemate.

repoe3
11-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Was wondering if it was the new K1200S. I have an 2002 KRS and that thing is also bulletproof in all weathers, however is also a fat pig, which has got me considering a Tuono as a stablemate.

after bridging the gap of "if i can only have one bike" with the R1100S, once i got a second bike that was honestly more of a play toy, but would also be used on the occasional commute to work to spice things up, i could not be without a second bike. i am lucky to drive 5k miles a year and bikes rule the day for me. had an R6 for year and a half. so when i sold it, the requirements were, chain drive, 100lbs+ lighter than the beemer, had to be a v-twin and HAD to have 100hp+ AT the rear wheel (and also italian). so ruled out all but two bikes. rode a monster S4, ruled it out, figured the S4R would do the trick, but got a killer deal on the tuono. the rest is history. i rode the tuono for 725 miles from KY back to VA the day after i picked it up. so it does EVERYTHING about as equally well as the S. But there is something about having that added weight when the weather gets blustery.

repoe3

mikeodial
11-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Very similar to my circumstances. I do not plan to get rid of the KRS at this stage for similar reasons, and have sort of got used to "bullying the pig" around corners, it does track like a gyroscope, but is certainly not flickable. In bad weather, huge rain, it behaves like a watercraft.

Anyway, am looking at a Tuono, would be interested in what sort of price I might be looking at, for differing years/configuration. I am sure there will be some good 05 deals out there soon.

I do a few track days every year, but would be using the Tuono mainly for fun local rides up to 150 miles.

repoe3
11-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Very similar to my circumstances. I do not plan to get rid of the KRS at this stage for similar reasons, and have sort of got used to "bullying the pig" around corners, it does track like a gyroscope, but is certainly not flickable. In bad weather, huge rain, it behaves like a watercraft.

Anyway, am looking at a Tuono, would be interested in what sort of price I might be looking at, for differing years/configuration. I am sure there will be some good 05 deals out there soon.

I do a few track days every year, but would be using the Tuono mainly for fun local rides up to 150 miles.

heck there are stil 04's out there. call the guys at rollinfast.com in NJ...heard they are looking to get rid of 05 tuonos for 9500 OTD. got an 04 leftover for 9300.

repoe3

repoe3
11-30-2005, 07:59 AM
thought i would revive this thread with a couple pics of the final intake kit:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/738105/DSC02265small.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/738105/DSC02268small.JPG

repoe3

Firebolter
11-30-2005, 08:06 AM

Carlos, loving the Donkey bike again heh? ;)

CarlosT
11-30-2005, 10:42 AM
Rode it to work today...it's slow and sometimes that's just what the doctor ordered :D

TuonoR6
11-30-2005, 05:32 PM
What kit is that and how much me likey. Damn if I get that it will be back to Clarkie for more tweaking.

The Dr.Jon
11-30-2005, 06:20 PM
Rode it to work today...it's slow and sometimes that's just what the doctor ordered :D

Nah, the Doctor says ride it like you stole it!;)

repoe3
11-30-2005, 07:09 PM
What kit is that and how much me likey. Damn if I get that it will be back to Clarkie for more tweaking.

that is a kit firebolter and i worked out. it is a carbon fiber baseplate with carbond riser plate mounted to the intake manifold with an aluminum collar that inserts into the intake boot. hi-flow foam filter gives more air through and with it being directly over the velocity stacks, no contaminated air.

we are only making a run of 10, one for firebolter and one for myself. so far it looks like the other 8 are spoken for. however, if you are interested in it and come up with the $215+$15 for domestic shipping via paypal, then we can score you one. but right now the serious buyers are the ones to get them. so let me know.

repoe3

spencer
12-01-2005, 09:14 AM
What are you doing with the breather vent? If yours is like mine you will accumulate a little oil between each change. Have you designed a catch can?

Spence

repoe3
12-01-2005, 09:52 AM
What are you doing with the breather vent? If yours is like mine you will accumulate a little oil between each change. Have you designed a catch can?

Spence

we add a length of hose to the crankcase vent and run it to the chain, just before it goes under the sprocket cover. any weeping gets dropped onto the chain. we have seen this kind of set up work fine for over 10k miles, 6500 of them on a trip from the east coast to the west coast and back over 7 days of riding.

a catch can could be used as well.

repoe3

spencer
12-01-2005, 02:24 PM
we add a length of hose to the crankcase vent and run it to the chain

Fantastic idea, do you get much overspray on your bike?

spence

repoe3
12-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Fantastic idea, do you get much overspray on your bike?

spence

nope, you talking at most a tablespoon or so of oil. i havent had any weep since the relocation, but after looking at the falco that has been running it for some time now, it is no worse than too much chain lube and the gook it throws everywhere, only to collect every molecule of dirt and grime off the street :P

repoe3

spencer
12-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the idea, I am sick of cleaning out my air box. I am going to "steal" your design. (vent tube)

Thanks again,

Spence

repoe3
12-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the idea, I am sick of cleaning out my air box. I am going to "steal" your design. (vent tube)

Thanks again,

Spence

not my brainchild. i have seen it on other bikes and its what is done for the renegade kit, etc. some people put filters on the end of the tubing, but honestly, i think that is asking for trouble in the long run. might want to consider a fine mesh over the end or something just to kep pebble from kicking up into it. we havent done that to the falco...just an idea.

repoe3

RSV4ME
12-02-2005, 09:45 AM
So did you guys do anything different from the Rene kit?

repoe3
12-02-2005, 10:12 AM

not sure i know how to answer your question. perhaps checking the thread on the falco board would be better.

repoe3

Firebolter
12-02-2005, 12:22 PM

Functionally, NO

Quality wise, yes. We are using full 2 sided carbon, 2x2 weave. Each one is fitted to a bike before it goes out. We are not mass producing these so the individual quality and fit should be as good or better than anything of this design out there.

The Rene uses a Pipercross filter that has a small metal cage inside. The ITG we use has a full plastic cage inside the filter. Personally (not scientific or otherwise) I think the ITG is a slightly better filter. Not from a filtration perspective, but from a detail perspective.