PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia in AMA Superbike!!!

BikerGeek
08-01-2001, 03:13 PM
Did anyone happen to notice that an Aprilia landed in 21st place at the Breinerd AMA Superbike race? Does anyone know anything about the rider? I would assume he is a privateer racing a Mille.

IMDABOMB
08-01-2001, 05:44 PM
I believe the rider's name is Trey Batey. I think tht was his name.

micah apriliaforum com
08-01-2001, 07:47 PM
There are several competitive bikes in the USA. 11 SP's have been sold here and I know of 2 on the track and a 3rd to come. There are a dozen or so comptetitve level base and "R" bikes out there, one was seen on the dyno at Virginia F-USA round with 142 bhp. (Blackman's Cycles...rider: Tray Batey)...Arron Clarke has won WSMC Unlimited Superbike at Willow Springs on a Mille "R" (about 137 bhp)...a front running Aprilia will need about 160 bhp at the tire for AMA Pro Racing success.

rickyj
08-01-2001, 10:31 PM
I caught what appeared to be shotgun exhausts
on a bike being lapped by leaders Hayden, Du-
Hamel, and Roberts. It had the black and ora-
nge paint too. Afterwards they showed a Steve
Johnson in 21st on an Aprilia. The AMA says a
standard or R model is legal, but not the SP.
I overheard Aprilia's World Superbike manager
Mr. Bernicchia stating it made no sense ente-
ring the AMA series if they had to build som-
ething quite different to their WSB racer.

IMDABOMB
08-02-2001, 04:58 PM
Why not the SP? They allow the R7 and the Ducati SPS to run.

micah apriliaforum com
08-02-2001, 05:54 PM
Perhaps they fear the SP??? I doubt it but there seems no good reason not to allow the Mille onto the AMA track events.

rickyj
08-02-2001, 08:56 PM
...is the Harley VR1000's legal. Given their
(AMA) record with things H-D, maybe it's NOT
so surprising...

micah apriliaforum com
08-03-2001, 09:27 PM
Other interesting rumors about WSB...both Bostrom brothers maybe? That rumor appeared in an online mag recently and would make good sense for Aprilia...it would be good for US recognition also.

Ricky J
08-27-2001, 06:47 AM
www.amasuperbike.com today talks more about a
possible AMA superbike Aprilia for 2002, and
a linkup with HMC, the guys currently running
Ducatis. Interesting.

micah apriliaforum com
08-27-2001, 11:08 AM
Supposedly the reason Aprilia's RSV SP is not allowed into AMA Superbike is that they produce a total of 330,000 bikes per year (since scooters count as bikes) and only about 200 SP's were made...too small a percentage of their total sales. This makes no sense when you consider bikes out there like the VR1000 Harley Davidson are allowed to compete when there are only a handful of them in the whole world and only a few (less than 20 I guess) here in the USA. Harley sells about 200,000 units per year and none of those are VR1000's.

Big Daddy
08-29-2001, 06:51 AM
Personally I would love to see a factory supported Aprilia team in AMA, it would certainly be much more competitive than the Iron Horse(H-D):lol:

BD

Ricky J
08-30-2001, 08:00 AM
With the official announcement of H-D withdr-
awing from AMA superbike I wonder if the AMA
will act positively towards getting another team (i.e. Aprilia) into the series? Then ag-
ain we gotta remember who's running the show,
won't keep my hopes up. Hey Big Daddy, were you at Laguna Seca back in 2000 for WSB week-
end? I was chatting with a fellow Aprilia ad-
mirer in the parking lot, a massive guy sized
like a football player who used the same nick
name. Nice gent who could probably lift a Mi-
lle off the garage floor to sweep under it...