PDA

View Full Version : Can you drift?

IK_25
08-05-2005, 11:05 AM
I saw a video of a bike (Kawasaki....it was green) going into a corner and then through it with the back end spinning up with smoke as it held a line with the front pointing diagonally.

I've also seen a video of an S14 drifting around cones for about a minute without ever having traction for the duration...Looked well smart.

My question is, can this kind of thing be done a bike, constant drifting?

schnitzer
08-05-2005, 11:10 AM
i should think so altho bit dodgy if the tyre bites lol...takes a bit of practice in a car and feels right weird but its a proper awesome feeling :lover:

NickRS250
08-05-2005, 11:16 AM
hoo yeah i remember that vid, its of a kawasaki ZX-RR moto gp bike when they were first releasing it to show it off, i think its alex hoffman riding but it could be garry McCoy, fucking awesome

Its does look cool but takes alot of practise, skill, and power, you got to hold the clutch and throttle at just the right revs so that the wheel can spin but still maintain forward momentum, but steer to make the bike go sideways (known as backing it in) eats tyres, wrecks clutches, but looks so cool!!

Watch Nori Haga on WSB hes brilliant at it, 'the samari of slide'

IK_25
08-05-2005, 11:18 AM
I was practicing last night on the R6....

Ever since I upgraded the electrics and clutch, it feels more powerful...I got the back wheel spinning up just by pulling away hard...Not even clutching the power :cool:

I was a bit to scared to try it whilst cornering though, but I have had the backend slide out once by accident....Thankfully I managed to save it :rolleyes:

Have you got your R1 yet Schnitzer?

schnitzer
08-05-2005, 11:20 AM
nah man not just yet lol

JJonth
08-05-2005, 02:20 PM
On the aprilia you can do it in the wet quite well or when its damp and greasy its a bit easier. You don't really need to do anything with the clutch, just a low gear corner and just put on the power while your still leant over and straightening up. Back kicks out and slides until you are completely straighened out and it will catch grip again. In the dry its a bit harder and it needs to be a proper 1st gear corner and its always just a small spit second slide. Worse (or better?) ones I had were at brands hatch where I had a knackered tyre on the back, imagine this, around the first left handed bit of the esses, your sliding your knee and you just get on the gas a tiny bit more and it just drifts the rest of the corner until you straighten up again, it was mental really because its a fast corner too, I had just got past someone and when he saw me he though I was just gonna go down lol. I must of done that about 2 or 3 times and a couple down and out of Paddock Hill bend (not quite as bad mind). I went around the tyre shops and they had all sold out of 125 slicks, so I went to see my m8 who was also there and he had chucked some nice partly used Dunlops away, so I went skip ratting for them and they were awesome. Never had another slide all day and took another 0.5s off my time, 2nd ever time there and I did a 53.2 at the end of the day.

NickRS250
08-05-2005, 04:08 PM
On the aprilia you can do it in the wet quite well or when its damp and greasy its a bit easier. You don't really need to do anything with the clutch, just a low gear corner and just put on the power while your still leant over and straightening up. Back kicks out and slides until you are completely straighened out and it will catch grip again. In the dry its a bit harder and it needs to be a proper 1st gear corner and its always just a small spit second slide. Worse (or better?) ones I had were at brands hatch where I had a knackered tyre on the back, imagine this, around the first left handed bit of the esses, your sliding your knee and you just get on the gas a tiny bit more and it just drifts the rest of the corner until you straighten up again, it was mental really because its a fast corner too, I had just got past someone and when he saw me he though I was just gonna go down lol. I must of done that about 2 or 3 times and a couple down and out of Paddock Hill bend (not quite as bad mind). I went around the tyre shops and they had all sold out of 125 slicks, so I went to see my m8 who was also there and he had chucked some nice partly used Dunlops away, so I went skip ratting for them and they were awesome. Never had another slide all day and took another 0.5s off my time, 2nd ever time there and I did a 53.2 at the end of the day.

When the level is at WSB, and moto gp sliding isnt wanted though as it actually slows your lap time and increases tyre wear, why was you going faster? :S

RSheale
08-05-2005, 04:12 PM
http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/2891.jpg

is what i meant!

schnitzer
08-05-2005, 04:14 PM
http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/2891.jpg

im now lost....sideways is always slower car or bike

NickRS250
08-05-2005, 04:16 PM
i think he was looking for a reason to put up that pathetic picture, and he unwittingly posted it to something he knew nothing about.

in the voice of roy walker: ''what a numpty''

RSheale
08-05-2005, 04:19 PM
dont be a fruit about it mate chill mate i clicked the wrong quote!

NickRS250
08-05-2005, 04:22 PM
fwof man fwof, i say fwof man fwof our ashley

RSheale
08-05-2005, 04:24 PM
fwof man fwof, i say fwof man fwof our ashley

o great candle in the wind just came on my mp3 player :funnypost

RsOne2Five
08-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Why have you got that sort of music on your mp3 player? Is there something you havnt told us about yourself yet?

dowzerr
08-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Sideways is not always slower, its a way of tightening your line in a corner, why do you think all the rally drivers do it? Even on tarmac they do it.
The use for it in bike racing is when your tyres are spent, you can tighten your line by spinning up the rear.

JJonth
08-05-2005, 07:04 PM
they were unintentional and more offputting than anything, im still learning the track and the bike really, you can't really compare how the lap times change at MotoGP to how they change with me lol.

Sorry, just read through that first post and it does sound like one of them bullshit posts lol :blah: :bangwall: Deleting it won't help much either seen that its been quoted about 10 times.

Anyway i was just telling you some more boring racing stories, im not trying to say that im a riding god or anything and heres the proof lol :p:

dowzerr
08-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Here (http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/clickit/search?r_aid=D2E77CF6691644F7BFA39A1B0CEBC660&r_eop=1&r_sacop=1&r_spf=0&r_cop=main-title&r_snpp=1&r_spp=0&qqn=yS-kihD_&r_coid=372376&rawto=http://www.superbike.co.uk/content/movies/Gary_McCoy.wmv) is a clip of McCoy sliding the Kwak.

hixxy
08-06-2005, 06:49 AM
very nice clip,shame it wasnt the whole clip
?

ian
08-08-2005, 08:23 AM
I was practicing last night on the R6....
trying to 'back it in' on a 600 on UK roads is pretty idiotic IMO. bumps, spills, grease, gravel.. blah blah - it will all end in tears!!!!

if you're just on about spinning up the rear under straight line acceleration - that's cool (easy on cold tyres), but i wouldn't try drifting around bends.. save it for the track!

IK_25
08-08-2005, 09:19 AM
READ IAN! :rolleyes:

I said I was too scared to try it whilst cornering :cathat:

Up for a bit of RWYB mate?

I want <cough> a <cough> go on yer <cough> gixxer. :cathat:

Might be looking at a Gixxer 750 someday....I'll put R1 panels on it so it actual looks as good as it rides ;)

Joking...

NickRS250
08-08-2005, 10:13 AM
i can back it in on a minimoto, them things are so powerful, :D PMSL

ian
08-09-2005, 02:38 AM
IK_25 i know you said you were too scared on that occasion.. but you might have tried at some point. you were obviously curious about the whole thing. i was just recommending not too, coz you might get hurt mate. that goes for us all too.

dragstrip sounds fun. i think i'll be doing a pilgrimage to the Crescent open day this sat/sun though. [ linky ] (http://www.crescent-suzuki.com/Contact/newsitem.asp?id=84)

after a go on my gixxer mate :worship: , you'll weep with joy and fear at the same time. and then you'll weep some more when it sinks in that you bought an R6 instead :rolleyes: hehehe :)

LandanSam
08-09-2005, 06:36 AM
When the level is at WSB, and moto gp sliding isnt wanted though as it actually slows your lap time and increases tyre wear, why was you going faster? :S

Well how come when Gary McCoy use to slide on his Red Bull Yamaha 500 through every corner he still came out with the best times and winning races (till he crashed) They also discovered that sliding with slick tyres reduces the wear of your tyre overall as instead of heating the whole tyre and it being reduced quicker than spinning/sliding as that only heats the top layer of the tyre making it last longer through the race. Back on ye'olde 2 stroke red bull yamaha Gary was immense! If he hadn't crashed he'd have most probably gone all the way that season. Shamefully having a big metal pole in his leg now he seems to struggle with corners as he cannot pull him self up quite as quickly. But with Moto gp now it seems to be who can get the bike sitting up as quick as possible now with the massive acceleration and speed on the straights you don't need to carry more corner speed as long as you can sit the bike up quicker than the guy behind/infront just for those extra 10 metres of pure acceleration...

IK_25
09-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead...But this is drifting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PkW2zOO010&NR

aprilakias
09-19-2006, 07:25 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship:
his last turn!!!!
Watched both last GPs , Rossi Capirossi fight was top of the top!

stonedoncalpol
09-20-2006, 06:22 AM
decked my old zxr attempting to back it in through a roundabout got it onto it but couldnae pick it back up in time. and yes it was stupidly early morning not liek school run roundabnout.

SkunkcapFreddie
09-20-2006, 07:04 AM
i've managed it about 3 times only on this section of road in the wet on the way to work.

and when i say managed (purely by accident lol, only manged not to come off)

williamr
09-20-2006, 07:09 AM
Watch speedway.

Rob

IK_25
09-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Watch speedway.

Rob

Totally different...They don't ride 260 BHP bikes.

OldSkool
09-20-2006, 11:22 AM
WOW blast from the past remember all them names lol all us old-skool members.

IK you seen the nicky hayden supermoto video where he's sliding it into bends with his knee down looks sweet!

IK_25
09-20-2006, 11:23 AM
That's an awesome video mate.

kev13
09-20-2006, 01:23 PM
Totally different...They don't ride 260 BHP bikes.

there is a speedway rider i no and fuck me he is good at doing it on any bike

i have been playing at getting my supermoto side ways round corners got the in part sorted just the out bit keep coming off lol good job its a supermoto 0 damage every time :D

VickersUK
09-20-2006, 01:25 PM
i have been playing getting my supermoto side ways round corners got the in part sorted just the out bit keep coming off lol good job its a supermoto 0 damage every time :D

Thats what makes them so attractive, come off a full faired bike and your looking at new plastics or an expensive repair, come off something like an SMT few scrapes on the handguard and thats about it!!!

arfeds
09-20-2006, 01:26 PM
i got my bike sideways couple times the last time i done it was to evade a car really fast ended up on a grass bank but i kept on the bike and kept it running lol was quite good