PDA

View Full Version : Tracking/alarm system for my bike

zoltakz
02-05-2003, 11:14 PM
After I had my first bike stolen, I was thinking of ways to prevent this from happening again, or giving me some power to do something about it. Now I have an RS250 which I use for track and street, still vulnerable to theft. I chain it up every night, but we all know that this doesn't stop them. I worry about my bike every day.

I'm in the process of designing a lightweight motorcycle tracking system/alarm suitable for even the smallest of bikes. I was hoping I might get some FEEDBACK regarding features and or requirements for this sort of device. I could make a system to let you know if your bike was being tampered with and tell you the exact location of your bike wherever you are. You wouldn't have to be near the bike, although it would work the same if you were. Your bike's location could be reported in real time - in the case where it's moving. No alarm can eliminate 100% chance of your bike being stolen, but with this at least you could track em down and beat the crap outta them :evil: . I'm not looking at an expensive solution either. Something affordable that works.

When my bike got stolen, I wished I had designed this sooner, but I'm always so busy. If I had the system today, I could have gone down there, recovered my bike and shocked the hell out of them when I brought the police.Wishful thinking, but then I can see the reality in designing this and even selling it if people want it.

I'm a hardware/software dude 8o so have the means to create such a device. I just wanted to know if there were any others interested in this too and if you guys think it's work putting some serious time into. Any feedback about features/costs or other useful info would be appreciated.

Damon Slowpoke Baumann
02-06-2003, 02:04 PM
I was always wanting a LoJack type system for my bike..Is that what your looking to do?

Z o l t a K Z
02-06-2003, 06:39 PM
Yes, it would be similar to the LoJack products in functionality with the sound difference of network coverage and primary design for a bike (compact/light). Also, there would be no need for a central agency, unless required by the user since you'd be able to receive the tracking info directly, no third party to know where your bike is. Just you.

Currently, LoJack only covers about 9 or so States (entire state coverage) and about 12 other States in metro areas only. So you're screwed if they manage to get the bike out of the network area, or you live in an area they don't support. With my solution, network coverage would be the *entire* continental US+Mexico. I also have plans for other countries and networks.

-UPDATE-
Last night I discovered that my car had been broken into. Luckily they couldn't get in since the door won't open from the inside after it's been electronically locked. Just a pool of smashed glass. I have ideas on a camera alarm system for my car too.

Thanks for the post DSB

Chooky
02-07-2003, 12:03 PM
Youch... Where do you live Zoltakz? I'm sorry to hear you just got your car broken into. That sucks...

Z o l t a K Z
02-09-2003, 07:08 PM
Hey Chooky,

I'm down in Melbourne Australia. My car was in my apartment complex carpark. Disheartening, but at least it wasn't worse. Have you had similar things happen to you? I'm going to get this intrusion detection stuff sorted out ASAP

Drt Boy
03-26-2003, 09:36 PM
Check out lockdowntracking.com they offer a very good system and it sounds like what you are working on. Wanna get together and open the Australian market???

DB

zoltakz
03-26-2003, 09:54 PM
Sounds good. Just email me at zoltak@cyberspace.org

TASHLAD666
04-21-2003, 11:12 AM
would this tracking device be available in the UK and could you put like 1 transmitter on your bike, 1 in your car and some more elsewhere and still be able to receive it on 1 thing what you keep.

Tash

dannyag
05-21-2003, 05:48 AM
I had a Fatboy stolen from me a year ago. After what I went thru mentally and financially, I decided that my replacement bike, a 2003 Indian Chief, would NOT get stolen and I would NEVER go thru that BS again. I ordered and installed the "Lockdown tracking" system.

Installed, the unit went for close to one THOUSAND dollars plus a $10.00 a month fee!

A: You need a phone that has access to the internet.
B: So far, I tried to view a mapped out location of my bike in real time and both times, I was unable to see a map.
C: The last time I tried to track my bikes location, it was unable to locate it. I know for a fact that it's parked outside my other house!!!
D: This system is a TOTAL waste of time and money!!!