PDA

View Full Version : brake fluid

falco03
05-27-2005, 04:23 PM
one thing i have to do to my bike is fill the front brake reservoir and bleed it out.
my question is (because i don't have an owners manual): what type fluid is recommended?
and how do i fill the M/C? do i just pour the fluid in, crack the bleeder, pump, close the bleeder......etc?
do i have to remove ALL of the existing fluid?

twinkiethekid
05-27-2005, 04:52 PM
I have this stuff (http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=51) in my lines.

What I did was open the reservoir, put the bleed tube on the valve, open the bleed valve up and let Sir Issac's theory run its course. I do this for both calipers.

I then fill the reservoir and open the valve on one caliper. I wait for fluid to flow and close it. Repeat on other caliper.

The lever was still total mush, so I put the bleed tube on the master cylinder valve, opened it until fluid flows (mere seconds).

End of job.

I've been "braking" like this since.

Firebolter
05-27-2005, 04:53 PM
DOT 4 is the recommended

OPen res, pour in Fluid to fill mark or a little past it. Pump the lever, slowly open valve to let out air, close quickly. Pump lever again repeat till no air comes out. It is much easier if you have some one with you.

Order Speed Bleeders for the front brake, then you can open the valve and just pump and add fluid till all the air is out as the speed bleeder doesn't let air back in like the stock one.

falco03
05-27-2005, 08:42 PM
that seems easy enough. i'll be doing it tomorrow.
thanks for the heads up on it, guys.........you 2 are the smartest guys on the forum. :worship:

:cathat:

twinkiethekid
05-27-2005, 08:56 PM
that seems easy enough. i'll be doing it tomorrow.
thanks for the heads up on it, guys.........you 2 are the smartest guys on the forum. :worship:

:cathat:

Whaddaya think FB? Shall we start charging for all of our sage advice? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Firebolter
05-27-2005, 09:11 PM
you 2 are the smartest guys on the forum

Well that's a bit of a strech, I prefer, I've been there and done that.......

CarlosT
05-28-2005, 09:31 AM
The Valvoline Syn stuff 4.1 is very good and it's cheap and available at Peppy Boyz :D

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=51