PDA

View Full Version : Any future RS125 or RS250 for US streets?

F1fan
07-23-2002, 09:38 PM
When will we see one of these for our streets? Any chance of '03 or '04?

Josh
07-25-2002, 09:14 AM
Sure,
If they made them as a 4-stroke. But then the whole bike would be totally different. Aprilia would gladly sell those bikes here right now, but the US standards for emissions won't allow it. Pretty soon, they won't even be able to sell RS50s even. But I already have one!! hahahaha!

Josh

F1fan
07-25-2002, 02:41 PM
I was wondering because I'm about to buy a RS50 but would wait 'til spring if I could get a little more power. I already plan to bump it when I get one. Hopefully very soon!!! There is a very cool RS250 STREET on Ebay right now though. Too pricey or I'd own it.

ed apriliaforum com
07-25-2002, 03:55 PM
anything bigger than 50cc will probably never be legal in the USA. Two-strokes just pollute too much for our strict EPA/DOT society.

We have two RS125s that will be for sale soon. They can only be sold "for off-road use only". They have all the lights and mirrors. I, however, cannot help with registering it for street-use, since that would be a violation of Federal law.

www.apriliaforum.com/news...5rs125.htm (http://www.apriliaforum.com/news/RS125project1/95rs125.htm)

www.apriliaforum.com/news...3rs125.htm (http://www.apriliaforum.com/news/RS125project2/93rs125.htm)

Both will be priced under $5K.....dont know an exact price yet, since they are not quite finished with all the new parts they are getting.

Both are getting:
new Pirelli SuperCorsa SC1 super-soft tires
new DID racing chain
new battery
new fork seals and fluid
new front brake pads
new fluids---fork, coolant, brakes, gearbox, 2-stroke oil
detailed cleaning and test ridden.

F1fan
07-25-2002, 09:57 PM
I found a 97 RS125 on cycletrader for $6k. It is on the street in Cali. Not sure about condition but looks good by photo. I may just start with a modified 50 and may look into one in a year or two but if the price is close I'd probably do a 125 which I think would be perfect for me. Just some fun riding. We'll see. All opinions are welcomed. Thanks.

BikerGeek
07-29-2002, 03:37 PM
I too have been interested in an RS250 for the street here in the USA. I talked to Aprilia dealers about it. They stated that the 2-stroke regulations will make it impossible for Aprilia to make the RS250 street legal. With Aprilia, it was also an issue of price. To offer a street legal RS250 with lights, mirrors, et.c., the bike would need to be priced in the $9K range. Aprilia didn't think a small displacement race rep bike would sell in that price range with 600 supersport bikes going for $8K or less.

If Aprilia was smart they would develop and sell a 500cc or 650cc single/v-twin 4-stroke to compete with the popular Suzuki SV650. How about an Aprilia Supermono with a Mille engine with a counterbalancer replacing one of the cylinders. This 500cc mono with some tweaking could easily develop 60 horsepower. In a lightweight RS chassis(300lbs), the bike would be killer.

Sign me up!

Ride safe.

PS

Although it would be highly illegal, I have thought about buying a used RS250. Then I would take the street legal equipment from my RS50 including the plastic and VIN tags and license plate and mount them to the RS250. From the outside, the bike would look like the RS50 with plates and registration from my 50. The RS250 bodywork and compatible parts would be thrown on my RS50 for slow track rides. As far as I can see, the only issues would be insurance. If I crashed the bike on the road, the insurance company would reimburse me for RS50 parts and pieces.

Any thoughts?

Ricky J
07-29-2002, 04:56 PM
Very clever! I wonder what percentage of the
prison population are clever people? Remember
the old saw: "The trouble with trouble is it
always starts out as fun."

none
12-07-2002, 11:19 AM
It was interesting to read about USA law on 2 stroke bikes.
I ride Aprilia RS125 and I live in England. I will be taking my RS125 over to Florida next month as I am going to study at a college there. Lucky for me I can ride my RS125 over in Florida cos my bike is on British reg and exempt from U.S law :) But I got to export my bike back to England in the summer when the college closes! If you see me riding my aprilia RS125 around in East coast of Florida, give me a wave! Rossi replica, easy to spot me cos different licence plate, British!

See ya!

stijnvdd
02-08-2003, 08:45 AM
Looks like soon it won't matter where you live in the world. The RS250 isn't fot sale anymore in most parts of europe, this year, because of emision laws getting more strict. And according to the french importer of aprilia, the RS125 is following next year. The importer also said that there is a large intrest in producing a 600cc bike. No specifications were mentioned do.

Smoke Eater 41
02-11-2003, 03:16 PM
That "street legal" RS250 has bounced around eBay for a long time. As far as I know, you can't register it. Lights and turn signals aren't the problem. Its a 2-stoke over 49cc.

aprillaboyz
04-17-2003, 09:05 PM
HEY EVERYONE MINE RS250 IS STREET LEGAL I JUST DRIVE IT AROUND WITH OUT LISENCE PLATE

Cannon Fodder MOO
04-20-2003, 07:42 AM
I'm told they'll still be racing them down under, this season and the next. There was a rumour that we weren't to get more later this year but aprilia put a note on their au website to say they still had plenty. It's rumoured that we'll get them for 2 more years....

then again as a backwater we could be getting the last of them.

gabriele bigoloni
04-23-2003, 08:55 AM
If anybody lives near the Canadian or Mexican border, you could register and insure it there, then simply ride it across... just my 2 cents.

JoshkDry
04-27-2003, 06:32 PM
wouldn't that cause some problems if you were stopped for speeding or something? Any reasons why someone couldn't do this?

I have an RS 50 (75cc), thats modded and i plan on riding it for a few months and then look to buy a 250. If i cant find one for the right price im just going to buy a CBR or something.

astroboy
05-06-2003, 03:58 AM
Aprilia has there ditech system for the scoots and it works dam well, ive ridden one of the sr50 and it went like stink for such a lil thing and was WAY smoother than my rs125. lets all hope they apply it to the 125 and 250. long live 2strokes.

breif exp of ditech
www.aprilia.com/portale/eng/depth4.phtml (http://www.aprilia.com/portale/eng/depth4.phtml)

doc wat
05-19-2003, 05:48 PM
I'm sure that ditech is the answer, maybe if we all swamped aprilia with letters & e-mails they might progress with it more and reliase there still is a market for 2strokes. Just cause Mr.Honda says we should all own 4strokes, why should we?:mad:

Webdev511
05-24-2003, 11:53 PM
Well I just purchased an RGV250 (Same Motor as the RS, just not as good or pretty a frame :( ) My insurance company has it covered, but with liability only.

I had comptemplated mounting a licence plate frame and one of those paper dealer ads they put in new bikes before they get plates. At first glance, it would look like a bike that got bought and has no plates mounted, rather than just no plate at all.

On the other hand If I got stopped, I would have insurance, but no Reg. Now, that could be a problem. Let's face it, a loud Harley doesn't even draw the slightest head turn from most police officers, but the ring-ding-ding-ding and smoke of a two stroke sure would.

I don't know that I want to take the risk of losing my little 250 just for a spin around the block or up the hill. It's not like they're any good in town anyway. I'll just leave mine prepped for the track and take my SRX up the hill instead....

astroboy
05-25-2003, 01:59 AM
my dad put a rd350 motor in a tz350 post classic gpbike... stamped the rd frame number in the tz chassie.......
got rid of the rd frame.......
now blats around canberra on a kenny roberts replica tz350.
Some times we have it too easy here in aus, rego inspectors didnt look twice at it. jeez thats a small bike mate... stamp. :rollin:

doc wat
05-25-2003, 11:43 AM
We may have crap weather in the UK but at least we're lucky enough to be able to ride our 2strokes on the street.:D You guys from the US & Oz seem to have a lot of agro off the 'Old Bill'

astroboy
05-29-2003, 05:18 AM
not in aus we got very lax laws on 2strokes. the us from what i know didnt even get rd's or rz's. and that was back in the 80's.

Bill in OKC
05-29-2003, 12:41 PM
/24/2003
Jensen Wins On Tul-aris At Mid-America Motorplex

Copyright 2003, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

Robert Jensen rode the Tul-aris 800cc prototype to a hard-fought victory in the CCS GTO race Friday at Mid-America Motorplex, just south of Omaha, Nebraska.

Jensen jumped out to an early lead in the 30-minute event but was pursued by the Arclight Suzuki's Dave Stanton and Scott Harwell. Riding their Formula USA Superbike-spec GSX-R600s, Stanton and Harwell made steady progress, closing the gap to Jensen and his more powerful machine.

Just before the halfway point, Stanton stuffed his Suzuki up inside Jensen going into turn 8, which leads onto the pit lane straightaway. Harwell remained in third but also looked for an opportunity to pass Jensen as the leaders began to encounter the Amateur back markers.

Harwell managed to get by Jensen in traffic, but Jensen was able to power back past the Arclight rider, “put his head down” and close back up on Stanton. “I got Stanton coming on the front straight,” said Jensen. “A lapper got in there. He (Stanton) went to the outside, and I went to the inside. He got held up and I was able to get past. And the Tul-aris has got a lot right out of the hole and gets up to speed quickly, so I think that’s where I ended that one.”

Jensen said he was slowed by jetting problems on the liquid-cooled, parallel-twin, 800cc, 150-horsepower two-stroke that prevented him from getting on the gas “in the crucial corners.” Dr. Rob Tuluie, creator of the Tul-aris said the problem was a power valve “fluttering” instead of opening and closing cleanly.

Jensen won with Stanton second; Harwell was third with CCS Regional Champion Kevin Gordon fourth, Dave Ebben fifth on a Suzuki GSX-R1000 and Celtic Racing’s Des Conboy sixth on a Suzuki GSX-R600.

Jensen started the day by giving the MotoDynamics Tul-aris 800 prototype its first national-level race win, topping the Unlimited Grand Prix field despite an early challenge from Yamaha YZF-R1-mounted Conrad.

Kevin Gordon finished third in Unlimited Grand Prix after a race-long battle with Dave Ebben ended with the two colliding and Ebben falling in turn seven late in the race. Ebben was leading Gordon, who said he unintentionally hit Ebben from behind when Ebben “changed his mind” and checked up behind a lapped rider. Ebben was upset but not injured.

Unlimited Grand Prix Expert: 1. Robert Jensen (Tul-aris 800); 2. Shawn Conrad (Yam YZF-R1); 3. Kevin Gordon (Suz GSX-R750); 4. Alex Barrera (Suz GSX-R1000); 5. Matt Malterer (Suz GSX-R750); 6. Rich Deeming (Suz GSX-R1000).

dowzerr
05-29-2003, 01:30 PM
this is a truly remarkable bike.