PDA

View Full Version : Couple o' Q's - chain link removal + tyre mixing

goof
08-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Got my new chain and sprockets of Craigy boy :D but am having difficulty getting the peaned soft link out of my old chain. Tried sawing the head off and knocking it through with a nail & hammer but it won't budge. Anyone got any ideas on how to get the bugger out?

Oh, and whilst I'm taking the back wheel off I figure I might as well get my back tyre replaced (it's square :happy: ). It has a set of Dunlop 204's on atm but the front has plenty of life left - bearing in mind funds are a bit tight should I;

a) match my front D204 with a rear D207/8
b) get another D204 for the rear
c) it'd be best to get a front & rear 207/8

Thanks as always!

dave1rs
08-09-2004, 12:13 PM
if you have a new chain,and no chain breaker,cut the old one off.

im assuming the new one is a split link then?

Craig
08-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Best way is to prise it off, but if the chains knackered just cut it. The reaosn i got those IRIS chains is because there heavy duty and have BOTH rivert and split links, makes life so much easier.

I've personally just got rid of a new 96 front on the RVF because i was getting 090's fitted so went for the front and rear option. The sportsmax's are good i have nothing to complain about they got hot and soft after awhile, held there profile (unlike some BT92's i ran the RVF on) and lasted awhile too.

goof
08-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Cool, what would I use to cut a chain that thick tho?

Yeah Dave, it's the Iris as Craig said which comes with the option of split and rivert.

Which link type would be best to use in your opinion Craig?
And which of the tyre options in light of the fact I spent most of my money on your chain ;) Would mixing a 204 and a 207/8 be an absolute no-no, or would it be 95% as good?

dave1rs
08-09-2004, 12:50 PM
ive got the same chain mate,use the split link,then you can take the chain off for cleaning.

cut off the old one with a hacksaw mate.;)

goof
08-09-2004, 01:53 PM
Ah christ, that'll take me all night Dave!

See you in 3 hours :p

dave1rs
08-09-2004, 01:57 PM
nah 5 minutes,or use a dremel or similar,they are easy to cut;)

goof
08-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Yep, you were right Dave, only took 5 minutes.

Now I won't be able to wait for a new tyre to get fitted, cos no doubt that'll take a few days as my local prila dealers don't stock tyres for the RS :rolleyes:
I'm thinking I could order tyres off the net and get them fitted at the dealer - how much does fitting usually cost per wheel if you take them off?

mightymeaty83
08-09-2004, 03:16 PM
sorry for hi jackin the thread goof....

Craig how much are those IRIS chains???

might get one to go with those new sprokets

Craig
08-09-2004, 03:24 PM
There 45.00 i have one left, have a few more on order. You would need to make postage 5.95 (you will see how heavy the package is) as it costs 10.00 to send but i only charge 5.95. Most likely will use a courier after i found out its costing just as much to send first class than it is a courier.

mightymeaty83
08-09-2004, 03:40 PM
ok... sort one out for me
ive already sent that postal order off for the other stuff...

so if u want to hang on to it i will get another p[ostal order for the chain

and u can send the lot together...

that make sence?

goof
08-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Like I said in email Craig, it's deffo worth getting in touch with a courier - they'll do you a set price regardless of weight and you can just take the small stuff down to the PO.

goof
08-10-2004, 05:57 AM
Edit: never mind, found the info in the workshop manual.

motorbike-tyres.com was the cheapest - I just order at 4.30 and they said I'll still get them tomorrow :banana: