PDA

View Full Version : Fuel line Quick Disconnect become not so quick?

ecumike
03-13-2003, 04:39 PM
Anyone have any issues with their fuel line quick disconnect?.. Mine was working like a charm, and the past few days I've been getting ready for a track day, and connecting and disconnecting it (flushing radiator). Then all of a sudden, I can't seem to get it goes back together. If I take the little rubber grommet off, it works/snaps fine, but if I have it on (as it's supposed to be) I have to really work it to get it snapped back together. It's like the grommet has grown or something and now it won't fit.

If anyone has any suggestions, they'd be much appreciated.

Lemon
03-13-2003, 05:13 PM
The Fuel has upset the gasket "Bad design fault"
Replace the gasket and it will just happen again,and again.
If i were you i would rip it off and stamp on it.:mad:

Go back to normal pipe clip mate ;)

wsmc667
03-13-2003, 05:18 PM
grease

Lemon
03-13-2003, 05:28 PM
If you put grease on that will only delay the degrading of
the gasket.
If you can get a VITON gasket it is fuel compatible
good luck :)

Lemon
03-13-2003, 05:30 PM
If you put grease on that will only delay the degrading of
the gasket for a bit.
If you can get a VITON gasket they are fuel compatible;)

wsmc667
03-13-2003, 06:36 PM
i dunno... it's been almost 2 years. but i guess i don't know it all, then, huh? god forbid, it should fail... there are plenty more QDs where that came from to cannabalize o-rings from. or worse still, i could go buy actual o-rings.

the ones on my 1996 ducati 916 were similar in design and had black rubber o-rings. some grease on them ... and they last quite a while. damn, i guess i don't have any experience with these quick disconnects, either...

ecumike
03-13-2003, 08:41 PM
Lemon... thanks but no can do...I gott leave it on there now.. the line's cut. However I can just pull the hose of the petcock, like normal.

WSMC.. thank for the tip... that's what I was looking for... I have some spray on lithium grease, will that kind of grease work you think?

Either way fellas... I ordered another one today.. JUST in case something like this happens in the heat of racing and I can't get the coupler together again.

wsmc667
03-13-2003, 09:05 PM
heh, yeah it looks like "lemon" is my anonymous fan. lucky me.

i just use maxima grease. any grease will do. the o-ring gets dry and there's friction. the next step is that the o-ring tears because it's dry. based on what i found with the ducatis, the problems arise from the o-ring tearing, not from "breaking down". but, Mr Lemon's viton o-ring surely won't "break down" but surely will fail if they get caught on the female connector and tear. the @#%$ isn't rocket science, try as hard as he may to make it so.

whatever,
chris

Lemon
03-14-2003, 04:57 AM
Its just i work for a fuel pump company Gilbarco so i know
how fuel and diesel can affect different types of rubber
o rings lads. sorry for my help you know best.
Grease monkeys:lol: