PDA

View Full Version : How much is street legality worth?

theImmoralist
04-08-2003, 03:34 AM
Hey guys,

I'm coming over here from the RSVR forum because I'm looking to buy a RS250 and could use your collective advice.

I'm looking for a track bike that I might try to race later this season or next year. (This assumes that I am not too slow to pass the new racer school that I must go through in my local club.:lol: ) I have found a number of used race bikes for sale and have more or less narrowed it down to two:

Bike 1: 2000 RS250, raced two seasons
Bike 2: 1996 RS250, raced a few years, but with CA title and plate (more mileage and more expensive than Bike 1)

The bikes are in similar condition and have minor mods appropriate for track/race use. I'm not really concerned with cosmetic differences between the pre and post 98 bikes.

My question is: what do you think street legality is worth, both in terms of dollars and in terms of riding pleasure? Is this a fun bike to ride on twisties? Or is it best left to the track? It seems to have such a small powerband that I figure it must be a lot of work to ride on the street. I have other street bikes so riding the RS250 on the street would just be an occasional thing, to get used to the way the bike rides.

Any advice? How much would you pay for a plate?

Thanks for all comments.

dowzerr
04-08-2003, 03:42 AM
the bike is more suited to the track. buy the 2000 model. its is better than the 96 in my opinion.

Norm
04-08-2003, 10:17 AM
I ride mine on the street a fair amount, I just put on a headlight, taillight & mirrors, and a plate from another bike. For limited riding in the twisties, it seems to work fine.

splatgirl
04-08-2003, 04:00 PM
IMO...the RS is not worth running on the street, unless you are into the poser value and like to wrench. Before I bought my '00 new at the beginning of last season, I was seriously considering paying the same or more for a used, streeted one. In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't do that. It steers like a pig at slow speeds, gets hot sitting and idling, and what you said about it being a lot of work to ride is right on. You'll find that even on the track, the RS is a bit of work to ride, especially compared to a Mille, (constant gear changes are your middle name), but the fun factor is seriously high once you get used to that. Besides, who wants to worry about crashing nice pretty street bodywork on the track??
My .02

Splat
'00 RS 250
'01 Mille R

theImmoralist
04-08-2003, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the opinions. I'm leaning towards the '00 race bike with no plate. It's cheaper, probably a better bike (vs. '96), has lower miles, and probably wouldn't see much street use anyway. The difference in price between the two bikes would buy a couple set of tires and some nice tire warmers.

rs249cc
04-08-2003, 05:26 PM
the track bike has prob had better maintenance too mate along with some spares maybe get the track bike unless you are gonna ride on roads:rolleyes:

Norm
04-08-2003, 08:12 PM
You think the RS is more difficult to ride on the track than a Mille?!?!?! Except for the narrow powerband, it handles like a dream (better than most race bikes). Remember, in the rest of the world, this IS a street bike. I wouldn't want to commute or tour on one, but it is an excelent bike for riding the twisties!!

Codeed
04-09-2003, 05:04 AM
I commute on my 250 and it kicks ass, dont have to worry about the temp when traffic jamms dont stop me anyways, a bit of lane spliting does the trick.

The bike looks god damn @#%$ hot, and it is quick as hell so nowt out there can touch me..

Handling is like a dream, throw mine about like a rag doll and it forgives me everytime... even when i thing the bike will drop it don't and i thank mu lucky stars and the guys at prilla for making this damned machine.

C ED

splatgirl
04-09-2003, 11:55 AM
I was referring to the drastic difference in power delivery between the RS and the Mille and the degree of attention to appropriate up/downshifting the RS begs for to keep it pulling hard. To me, this means more work compared to the Mille where you've got decent power through a large RPM range and pretty much any gear will work a lot of the time. As far as flickablilty, the RS and it's ~100lb weight deficit is the obvious winner, but...even though the Mille requires a bit more effort to put it on its side, that doesn't stand out in my mind as making it more work to ride.
On the other hand, the Mille is much more work mentally because I can scare myself with much greater ease!
Cheers
Splat

doc wat
04-09-2003, 12:10 PM
Why don't you go for the street legal one & use it for track days aswell. You then get the best of both worlds, you'll love it on the street & you'll love it on the track.:D

solosyko1
04-09-2003, 06:09 PM
yup doc wat is right .best of both worlds.if your interested i have one for sale 1995 rs250 silver biaggi 9600km cali clean title,cali plates,arrow exhaust,side mounted ohlins damper,new sportec m1,f/r ferodo pads,$6800 or give me an offer.if your interested.email solosyko1@yahoo