PDA

View Full Version : Binned my RS yesterday

gixer119
04-08-2003, 10:48 AM
Hi all, well as you can see i binned my bike, first time on the track and the lost the front end thanks to some replaced tarmac. Anyway i need to get it fixed now so i was woundering if any of you guys could help me out or recommed any places to get my required parts.
I need: Front brake leaver
Rear hanger
Rear brake leaver
Two arrow cans

Cheers all gixer

hintonrsvr
04-08-2003, 03:50 PM
www.ducman.com has the front brake lever for around $20. Chad

troutslayer
04-09-2003, 02:10 AM
you binned it because of new tarmac on the track??? how many others binned it because of that then??

sorry to be so harsh, but i doubt that was the reason... tyre pressures??? tyres??? wrong speed in corner, not enough heat in the tyres, poor suspension setup and bad riding are all potential front end washout possibilities, but c'mon... not new tarmac!!

still its a bummer crashing a road bike on a trackday. i binned a zzr at snetterton on a corner purely because i went into it about 20mph faster than i should and didn't have enough heat in the tyres. entirely my own fault!
good luck with ur repairs, sounds like u got away lucky though!

funny, we had a guy bin his rs250 on that day too, he blamed the tyre choice saying they were not suitable, but the fact that 80% of people that day had the same tyres kinda made it a bullshit claim!

gixer119
04-09-2003, 03:58 AM
I am not blaming it totally on the replaced tarmac as i don't think i had enough heat in my tyres but you can clearly see from my front tyre that the change from the old to new tarmac helped. It trashed my front tyre as the change in tarmac slit my tyre up and the front then washed out. No other people came off there as i was on the only rs250 there and all the other bikes which bigger and didn't corner that tight.

troutslayer
04-09-2003, 07:54 AM
sorry, just read my reply, it wasn't meant to be sarcastic like that...

what tyres were you running and how old are they? a tyre shouldn't shred up in use, and certainly not through surface change. perhaps it should be sent back to the manufacturer???? obviously not if its a 4000 mile old tyre!

i have seen a 1 day old avon something or other supersport tyre literally fall to pieces on the dyno recently, literally great chunks of the tyre was flying off, reminiscent of valentino rossi's tyre at wherever it was last season! amusing to watch, but definitely a faulty tyre!

gixer119
04-09-2003, 11:40 AM
I was using dunlop DT05's and they were new tyres but i covered about 150miles before taking them on the track. The front tyre slit because as the two different tarmacs met the newer one was raised and i lost the front end.

Gixer

doc wat
04-12-2003, 01:44 PM
Regarding your front brake lever,try-
www.patternparts.net

troutslayer
04-17-2003, 02:10 AM
well i managed to bin the tzr yesterday at mallory. not a very spectacular effort either, rear end slid round coming out of the hairpin.

i think it was due to the shock being set too hard, as it felt like the bike didnt sit down at the back to help traction. TBH it felt crap on the hairpin all day, but i still went for the passing manouver anyway, nothing ventured nothing gained!