View Full Version : charging

04-25-2003, 12:46 PM
ive had my 99 rs 250 for 2 week and a bit now and it died on me and would not restart worked out i needed a new battery now a few days later the battery voltage is again starting to drop and it wont run with the headlights on has any body got any ideas on what/how much this is going to cost me as im already down 15 for the battery

04-26-2003, 05:51 AM
Okay, charge youir battery, then set the temp guage pannel to battery voltage (press button D a once), with a fully charged battery this should be about 13.1v - although anything above 9v will start the bike as its a kick start. Next start the engine - and rev the bike (after warming up a bit) to about 5000-6000rpm. Holding this rpm the batt-voltage should go up to 14.1v or higher. If it does then something very odd is happening and the problem could be a short in the wiring loom (bad)... If the voltage does not go above 14v as you rev the bike the problem is either the alternator or the regulator rectifier.
To determine which, stop the engine, and disconnect the cable plug on the yellow wires between the alternator and the CDI box (should run from the left engine casing near the chain, to under the seat). Get a multi-meter and measure the resistance between each pair of yellow wires (on the alternator side). You should get a reading between 0.3 and 0.6 ohms (approx). if any combination of yellow wires gives zero ohms or much greater then 1 ohm your alternator needs new stators. Otherwise your regulator/rectifier has gone... this is under the hump behind the seat on the left side of the bike. Sometimes, when one component goes, it breaks the other - so you may need to replace both.

04-26-2003, 06:20 AM
big thanks just of out to try your suggestions