PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Aprilia Shiver Stolen in North London

chr15
09-18-2015, 05:04 AM
Hi there, apologies if this isn't the correct place for posting but I'd just like to do my best to make it difficult for the people who stole my bike to sell it on/break it etc

its a 2013 black and red shiver - LM13 XGA, all standard apart from some R&G frame protectors and kriega tail pack straps. It was in fairly good condition, some chips on the engine block/water pump, quite a rusty exhaust (british weather!)

It was taken from outside my house in Muswell Hill during the night of 16/09/15

If anyone see's this bike or some dodgy looking parts of it popping up for sale, pm me and be wary

Panzer
09-18-2015, 09:31 AM
Sorry to hear about your bike getting stolen. I hope she's recovered ...

cggunnersmate
09-18-2015, 09:40 AM
Sorry about the bike. Man it seems like you guys have a serious bike theft problem over there. What do they usually do with the stolen bikes, chop them up and part them out? Is there really that big of a black market for bike parts?

Fortunate enough to have not had to worry about it where I've lived so far. I imagine our worst bike theft areas are mostly in California.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
09-18-2015, 09:48 AM
Nice looking bike, hope you get it back.

chr15
09-18-2015, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys, would be nice if it turned up unscathed, but I suspect its long gone. You don't see many of these around London, I think I've seen 1 other in the last 2 years, that's why i was thinking if it turns up around here somebody will notice. I was also thinking, there's a lot of electronics on this bike, surely it will be a lot of trouble for a thief to get it to start without the coded keys?

cggunnersmate
09-18-2015, 10:24 AM
Is there alot of turnaround of complete stolen bikes in the UK. I'd think it'd be damn hard to title/register/plate a stolen bike these days. Legitimately at least.

chr15
09-18-2015, 10:56 AM
I'd think it's difficult to sell a whole stolen bike in the UK, particularly if you go through a dealer where they usually have a theft checking process that involves checking frame/engine/plates however it might be sell-able privately if they can get it to start. Does anybody know how hard it would be to get a stolen Shiver to run without the coded keys? Is it just a matter of replacing the ignition/ecu? Far from cheap and/or straight fwd i'd have thought.

Police say they have no leads in the case as of yet so i guess its unlikely to show up. Again, I know its a long shot but if anybody sees this bike (not many about) can you pm me/inform the police
cheers

GBt
09-18-2015, 12:09 PM
Sorry to hear this again on this site, and hope you get your pride and joy back in tact, Good Luck.

chr15
09-18-2015, 12:35 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motorbikes/9072284/Where-do-all-the-stolen-motorcycles-go.html

YevJenko
09-22-2015, 03:25 PM
Most bike stolen in the U.K. end up going to eastern Europe and Russia apparently (as do a large percentage of stolen cars).

Hope you get yours back Chris. If you don't, I hope you get a good settlement from the insurance company and but another aprilia

chr15
09-29-2015, 07:41 AM
Thanks YevJenko, I hope so too. Saw this ex bike thief spilling all on Reddit, seems to be a stateside thing as he talks about removing "lojack" a lot (a tracker I assume?)

https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/t5shp/ex_thief_chopshop_operator_ama

A useful read if you don't want your bike taken. Sounds like its alarming easy to sidestep a lot of security on bikes

YevJenko
09-29-2015, 01:55 PM
Yep lojacks are trackers. A lot of crims in the U.K. just stuff the bikes into the back of a van. Takes less than a minute and then they have all the time in the world to bypass any security :(
I saw a YouTube vid of some guys in London breaking the steering lock on a vespa and then towering it out of the high rise behind another bike, passing the security guard in broad daylight! It seems that if they want it, they'd not a lot you can do to stop them unfortunately

chr15
10-05-2015, 05:39 AM
Yes, it was also interesting to hear how they don't bother messing with immobilizers/coded ignition keys etc, they just wire in a completely new ignition/ecu etc! WTF. Hope these scum bags sleep well at night