PDA

View Full Version : Electrical problems with battery and fuel reserve light.

Diverence
01-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Guys,

I am having some troubles with my electrics on the SXV..

First of all the battery..

some times the bike doesn't start, lights flicker and dash restarts itself.. then the battery icon in display comes up.
but when I put the bike on the battery charger, it loads up fine.. and after that the battery has been fully charged. the bike just starts right on first touch on the button.

but then, after a few weeks the bike just gets harder to start and eventually does the same as stated above, flickering lights and dash restarts itself..

sounds to me like the battery isn't charging during useage of the bike.. but I don't know for sure.

Battery voltage:
not running: 12,53V
running idle (3000): 14,73V
running idle (2000): 14,53V
starting engine: 8,03 ~ 10,83V

Then I have another problem. the fuel reserve light on dashboard is not lighting up anymore leaving me stranded along the side of the road..
I Have visually checked the wiring under the tank and other than some widened up protection material I can't see anything strange down there.

so I would guess it's inside the tank as I do have input power of 12,35V coming in at the connector.

I would gladly appreciate it if I can solve my problems with the help of the forum.

Thanks in advance,

Diverence

Metalmulisha
01-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Hey!
i had the same problem ended up having the alternator rewound. New stsrter motor. Plus the rod holding the fuel sensor in the tanks probabaly snapped, mine did that too... Hope thst helps!

Mulisha

SXVINWA
01-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Looks like the charging system is working, but either the regulator is not regulating correctly (should regulate to 14.4 VDC) or the battery is screwed. Try connecting another battery and measuring again. If the voltage is more constant with the test battery, replace your battery.

As Metalmulisha said, it's probably a wire / bracket in the tank... pull the pump assembly and inspect it. Should be easy to spot if there is something amiss in there.

Diverence
01-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Found the problem in the tank.

sensor was floating around in the tank. the bracket that holded the sensor was broken. going to try and fix it tomorrow.