PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Moto Guzzi Norge

TuonoAB
07-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Hey Guys,

My father recently purchased a 2008 Moto Guzzi Norge as his first bike in almost 30 years. Beautiful machine I have to say, I could see putting some serious miles down on that bike. It has a few quirks but they just add character much like my Aprilia.

Obviously it sounds and feels pretty corked up (much like my Aprilia was,) and I was considering purchasing an aftermarket can for him for christmas. Are there some options out there that anyone can recommend? Is there a map switch much like the Aprilia in the ecu or would a PCIII or something along those line be required?

Appreciate any info

thx

Dan

rdbandkab
07-20-2011, 11:49 AM
One option is a Mistral can and crossover. That is what I'm running now. I picked them up from MGCYCLE. (mgcycle.com)
Before I installed the Mistral pieces(the can first, the crossover months later), the dealer had already installed the latest map. When I started installing the exhaust bits, I really didn't experience any issues.

Another option is to check out the offerings at GuzziTech. They have crossovers and cans, as well as suspension upgrades. If you really want to go nuts, Guzzitech also has all the Powercommander and other electronics bits that'll bring out the beast in your scoot.

richy

pete roper
07-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Canada has a bit of a reputation of being a Guzzi wasteland as far as service is concerned. Fitting a too open pipe will tend to create problems with backfiring on the over-run, especially if the machine is improperly tuned. Many machines I've seen of this age in the USA have never had their TPS re-set and for some reason ALL the 2 valve per cylinder big blocks leave the factory with it set wrong. That, combined with poor throttle body ballance, (only one of the air bleed screws should ever be open.) can lead to a variety of problems from high/erratic idle to stalling at a standstill.

One other thing, if for any reason the oil can icon appears along with the 'Service' warning, especially on start-up, even if it then goes away, I would strongly advise having the oil pump inspected. There was a small batch of poorly made oil pumps that all ended up in very early Norges that have a propensity for shattering their outer rotor. This doesn't tend to lead to instant destruction but it WILL lead to eventual catastrophic failure if the warning signs are ignored.

Suspension is far too soft stock, otherwise they tend to be a happy thing. Plastics are fragile and checking the oil is a PITA.

Pete

SF2DieHard
07-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Hey Guys,

My father recently purchased a 2008 Moto Guzzi Norge as his first bike in almost 30 years. Beautiful machine I have to say, I could see putting some serious miles down on that bike. It has a few quirks but they just add character much like my Aprilia.

Obviously it sounds and feels pretty corked up (much like my Aprilia was,) and I was considering purchasing an aftermarket can for him for christmas. Are there some options out there that anyone can recommend? Is there a map switch much like the Aprilia in the ecu or would a PCIII or something along those line be required?

Appreciate any info

thx

Dan

I am so down jealous I can't see straight. I'm going to go pout. :bangwall:

:kidding:

DungeonMaster

TuonoAB
07-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the response guys, I am sure I can sync the TB's as I have done it on my RSVR. Canada is a wasteland for anything out of the norm honestly (maybe not ducs...) but other than having a map loaded I don't think there should be much concern, I will recommend he has that done this winter. I will take note of the icon appearing as I am keeping the bike in my shop and of course rent is full access to her :p.

Lol yes my new age slang does not suit the Guzzi but honestly I am jealous myself, I could see myself owning one, though lacking a little of the jam I would like. Loads of character, if only you could hear it.....(hence me wanting a pipe haha.)

I see you owned an SF2, I have lusted after one for awhile, but just settled on a 71' Commando basket case that will have to do for now.

thx

Dan

pete roper
07-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the response guys, I am sure I can sync the TB's as I have done it on my RSVR.
thx

Dan

Dan. while syncing the TBs' is fairly simple it is something that is often screwed up because how it is done is a bit different to many machines and requires some means of re-setting the TPS after adjustment. If you don't mind I'll just C&P a reply to an email I just recieved about re-mapping of another model and alter it to suit.

It is VERY important that the bike be tuned properly to start with. Although it is written in the manual it seems few 'Mechanics' have taken the time to read how to ballance the throttle bodies and many still seem to think that you set up the TB's 'Like Carbs'. I frequently find bikes with both air bleeds 1 to 1 &1/2 turns out 'Because that is where the idle mix screws should be on carbs'. WRONG!!!!!!!!!

The valve lash should be adjusted. (On modern Guzzis, 2 valve per cylinder or four the lash is 4 and 6 thou inlet and exhaust.) Install the vacuum guages or whatever is used. Then the engine warmed up to over 60*C. Both air bleeds should then be fully closed. The throttle should then be opened so that the engine is revving at about 3,500-4,000RPM. The throttle bodies are then ballanced using the screw on the bell crank at the bottom of the LH throttle body. (NOTE. THE IDLE STOP SCREW, ALSO ON THE LH THROTTLE BODY SHOULD NEVER BE TOUCHED. THE IDLE SPEED IS GOVERNED BY THE STEPPER MOTOR AN CANNOT BE ALTERED USING THAT SCREW UNLESS YOU REALLY STUFF THINGS UP!!!!!). Do NOT use the threaded linkage rod to ballance the throttle bodies. Use the screw on the bell crank.

Once the highspeed ballance has been achieved let the throttle close. Re-set the TPS using Navigator or whatever tool is being utilized. (The TPS reading is set electronically, not physically by moving it. For some reason best known to the Gnomes of Noale the TB adjustment screw is on the LH TB and the TPS is on the RH TB so ballancing the TB's will change the TPS reading!) and then, if needed, whichever side has a HIGHER vacuum? Open the air bleed on that side to achieve perfect low speed ballance. The other screw MUST remain closed to avoid poblems with high idle or stalling when coming to a stop at lights.

It really is VERY easy.

Pete

TuonoAB
08-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks for that response Pete, great write up and your right it really does not sound that hard at all (minus resetting the TPS with Navigator...) Unless there is another method that can be done without the aid of a cpu/diagnostic tool?

It is time for the old man to do his first oil changes, valve adjustment etc etc, so we will see how that goes. We did a 1000km jaunt 2 weeks ago, of course he came back rested and I had to go to the chiropractor....but the guzzi was pissing oil all over from the filter. I hope it was a poor install from the dealer, I have not looked at it yet...

guzzitech
08-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks for that response Pete, great write up and your right it really does not sound that hard at all (minus resetting the TPS with Navigator...) Unless there is another method that can be done without the aid of a cpu/diagnostic tool?
... the guzzi was pissing oil all over from the filter. I hope it was a poor install from the dealer, I have not looked at it yet...

I have tons of good info on the Norge and all other newer Guzzi on my Forum. In response to the TPS, if not Navigator, there is an end-user software "VDST kit" that can be had for <$250 - it will fit most Aprilia as well. I'm not sure if AF1 sells it, if not, I do. See store.guzzitech.com.
For the oil filter, all of the new (easy-access) oil filters require precise torque or they will leak as you've found. If Pete doesn't catch this, the info is on my Forum.
I have a myriad of fueling solutions from ~$125 up to my full boat kit that makes it feel like a different bike. Pete's not a big supporter of it, as he's happy with a properly set up stock bike, but for those that want to unleash some great usable power, I've made it available.
Feel free to contact me direct; Todd at GuzziTech.com -- I don't frequent this Forum as I'm too busy on mine.
Hope that helps. Once it's sorted, he'll love it. Most do.

Micah / AF1 Racing
08-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Got a 2008 Norge on mu lift right now, great read and when the stalling V11 comes in later today I have adman good idea now of what is needed to fix it! I love this forum, thanks to you all!

TuonoAB
08-22-2011, 03:30 AM
Awsome guys thanks again for the info. Will definitely check out the forum!