PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Scarabeo Shock question

home smoke
07-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Hi, Original owner of '01 beo 150 w/ 20,000 miles on the clock here. Have a question about my rear shock. I sometimes carry a passenger and also cargo, and have noticed under that scenario that the rear tire rubs against the inside of the fender at the top when I hit a bump at speed. This occurs with 2 up riding even without cargo but with 2 up and cargo it is quite noticeable and frequent.

I asked about purchasing a new shock unit and was told by the dealer it is $250. I love my old beo but would rather not spend that kind of money just for the shock if it can be helped.

Do I need to replace the shock, which is the original in order to not have the suspension bottom out with 2 up riding. If I do need to replace the shock does anyone have a good used unit for sale?

Thanks .. Jason in NYC

SteveTR6guy
07-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Jason,
I'm sure other, more-knowledgable people will chime in but 250 sounds to me pretty high for a rear shock. One thing you might check.... on my Beo the rear shock is adjustable. I didn't by the scoot new, so I really don't know if it's the original factory shock or what but if it is there's an adjustment ring on the lower portion of the shock. All you need to do is unweight it and turn the ring to increase the pre-load on the shock. That will stiffen it up quite a bit when you're riding alone, and will level it out when hauling a friend.
Steve

Rockynv
07-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Hi, Original owner of '01 beo 150 w/ 20,000 miles on the clock here. Have a question about my rear shock. I sometimes carry a passenger and also cargo, and have noticed under that scenario that the rear tire rubs against the inside of the fender at the top when I hit a bump at speed. This occurs with 2 up riding even without cargo but with 2 up and cargo it is quite noticeable and frequent.

I asked about purchasing a new shock unit and was told by the dealer it is $250. I love my old beo but would rather not spend that kind of money just for the shock if it can be helped.

Do I need to replace the shock, which is the original in order to not have the suspension bottom out with 2 up riding. If I do need to replace the shock does anyone have a good used unit for sale?

Thanks .. Jason in NYC

Jason,

Your bike according to the manual has a 231.49 lb max capacity for rider + cargo and a 396.83 lb max capacity for rider + passenger + cargo. If it is bottoming out it is more likely the spring setting and not the shock itself or if you and your passenger are over 200lbs each then you are overloading the bike.

Double check the preload setting as stated in your manual before spending anything on new shocks.

If you have lost the owners manual you can download it at the address below:

http://www.serviceaprilia.com/public/lum/index.asp?l=Scarabeo 125-150-200-250

Of interest would be pages 44 and 45 with a quick look at page37.

At http://www.apriliagenuineparts.co.uk/component-scarabeo-125-150-200-engrotax-99-04-rear-shock-absorber-7187.php the US shock is 206 and the European spec shock is 145.

tomd
07-12-2011, 09:16 PM
put the 140 70 16 out back and gain some more clearence works on my 150 well 160 ish X2 lil cargo as it may Ive seen these bikes in europe on 3000 mile treks Loaded dwn Measure Eye to eye etyc there are other options this a coil over shock many older vehicles had these .. But yes Bike Shock are expensive cuz they Can be

Southpaw56
07-13-2011, 07:19 AM
But yes Bike Shock are expensive cuz they Can be

Brand name bike shocks like Hagon and WP, can cost twice as much.

Sp56

home smoke
07-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the advice about trying to adjust the spring rate. Yes, I know brand name motorcycle shocks are expensive, I have a 2006 Triumph Scrambler which I replaced the stock shocks with Hagon Nitro shocks and they were expensive. Just looking to not spend a lot keeping my old beo on the road but if necessary I would spend the $250 if I had to. I might look into trying out one of my old stock triumph shocks I have left over, maybe it will fit so I'll check it out.

Southpaw56
07-13-2011, 12:39 PM
You could also look into getting the old one rebuilt. I've never had that done but see the ads in bike mags.

Sp56