PDA

View Full Version : Skyline Drive vid

rdbandkab
06-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Skyline Drive vid on the Guzzi. Viewable in 720p HD. Still have to work out the audio. As soon as you get moving, it's wind noise!!! Anyway....long and boring!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G9PcYNeI1w&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

SF2DieHard
06-03-2011, 08:04 PM
NICE!!!!
No, I didn't watch the whole thing. That is one nice lookin road!! I'm jealous.

DungeonMaster

FALCOnry
06-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Lotsa roads like that in this part of the country DM. I lived most of my life in NH, and there are lots of good roads in New England...........but they don't compare to the sheer number of curvy & smooth, mountain roads, here. :plus:

aimhigh
06-03-2011, 09:19 PM
The two times I have tried to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway it was closed due to ice in the tunnels. IIRC, it was March and April.

I road the Cherohala Skyway (both ways), the Dragon and, the Moonshiner 28 (both ways) today. Road up from Dahlonega via 129. Didn't plan on going back to Dahlonega before heading home (Tuscaloosa) but, got I call from the technician that worked on my Tuono yesterday and he said the Aprilia tech adviser told him we should put things back the way they were. :WTF: So, I'm back in Dahlonega tonight. Pretty long day in the saddle- about 12 hours counting stops.

So, how does the Blue Ridge Parkway compare to Cherohala. I got to get up therre next time.

aimhigh
06-03-2011, 09:33 PM
The two times I have tried to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway it was closed due to ice in the tunnels.:( IIRC, it was March and April.

Today, I road the Cherohala Skyway (both ways), the Dragon and, the Moonshiner 28 (both ways). Road up from Dahlonega via 129. Didn't plan on going back to Dahlonega before heading home (Tuscaloosa) but, got I call from the technician that worked on my Tuono yesterday and he said the Aprilia tech adviser told him we should put things back the way they were. :WTF: So, I'm back in Dahlonega tonight. Pretty long day in the saddle- about 12 hours counting stops.

So, how does the Blue Ridge Parkway compare to the Cherohala? I got to get up there next time but, I may trailer the bike instead of riding the whole way.

FALCOnry
06-04-2011, 06:21 AM
My personal preference is the Cherohala, but I try to ride it during the week if possible.......on weekends there's more traffic (and higher probability of cops).

rdbandkab
06-04-2011, 06:33 AM
We did the Cherohala Skyway a while back. Beautiful road....we enjoyed it much more than the "Tail".
The thing about the Skyline /Blue Ridge Parkway is the shear length. You start the Skyline at Front Royal Virginia, and follow the whole thing down into Waynesville, NC (close to the NC/TN border.
We've done most of the whole length at different times.

NO SPEEDING on the BRP!!!!

Pic from the Cherohala...

SF2DieHard
06-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Ooops. i can't try the BRP then.

ghedunk
06-04-2011, 06:15 PM
you can speed just plan on a ticket. Had not been on it in years for that reason but last year tried it one more time. Got warning 65 in a 35. Got off next exit. What a waste of a good road. But I did have fun for a little over a hour.

SF2DieHard
06-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Speaking of bitchin roads: try Highway One in California. Start in San Clemente (Hearst Castle) and ride north ALL THE WAY to the junction with 101 (that means north past Fort Ross).
You can see ALL THE WAY thru so many hairpins. It is a Pilgrimage. :)

DungeonMaster

BobW
06-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Great vid. I've ridden all over the country and I love how diverse the beauty and "personality" of each region is, but these friendly old mountains in our part of the world never get old.

Cheers

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo254/ps3592/IMAG0145.jpg

naimchase
06-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Great vid. I've ridden all over the country and I love how diverse the beauty and "personality" of each region is, but these friendly old mountains in our part of the world never get old.
My sentiments exactly.

aimhigh
06-05-2011, 11:10 AM
you can speed just plan on a ticket. Had not been on it in years for that reason but last year tried it one more time. Got warning 65 in a 35. Got off next exit. What a waste of a good road. But I did have fun for a little over a hour.

May have do BRP in the car. I can't imagine 35 all day on the Tuono. Didn't see any police on the Cherohala on Friday, none on 28, one on the Dragon.

punisher12b
06-05-2011, 12:56 PM
BRP is way better its 45 and we typicaly go railing through there its in amazning shape... 33 in wv is great, and so is 555 in ohio

ghedunk
06-05-2011, 06:34 PM
45 on BRP:crybaby::crybaby: Sucks also ! You got go one time just to say you did it . Then forget about it.

SF2DieHard
06-05-2011, 11:43 PM
maybe you can use BRP for the coast racing (slip the bike in neutral after you top a rise and coast down).

DM

naimchase
06-06-2011, 07:15 AM
You have to understand the charm of the BRP to enjoy it.

It is not a racetrack, it is a park. 469 miles of beautiful road and scenery without a single commercial advertisement or vehicle.

There are many roads near it that offer exciting riding. Use the BRP for mood and beauty.
This does not have to be at a snail's pace, if you know when and where to cool it due to more presence.

punisher12b
06-06-2011, 04:40 PM
45 on BRP:crybaby::crybaby: Sucks also ! You got go one time just to say you did it . Then forget about it.

\didnt say we GO 45 :peace:

tireatr
06-07-2011, 06:45 AM
The BRP is mostly 45 mph, some 35. You can easily get away with a contact 55 mph without fear of a ticket. IF you do get a ticket, it's a performance award only, no Insurance points, no drivers license points. Fines can get expensive if you're doing 30+ over, but if you're running 15 over, the fine is like $125-150.

The Parkway is beautiful in daylight, though very spooky at night. I meet a group of locals on Thursday nights and we ride from Weaverville up to Craggy Gardens to tire kick etc. When I ride home, it's 30 miles of the section from Craggy, past Mt Mitchells entrance, to NC80. I've seen bear, deer, owls, all kinds of vermin.

naimchase
06-07-2011, 07:18 AM
When I ride home, it's 30 miles of the section from Craggy, past Mt Mitchells entrance, to NC80. I've seen bear, deer, owls, all kinds of vermin.
And in a couple of weeks, we'll ride that on the way to see you.
How awful.
:)

There is a lot of opportunity for risk management on the BRP.
Some sections are drowsy at 40 over, and some are exciting at 10 over.
Pick your own risk/reward ratio.