PDA

View Full Version : Stelvio back wheel

JohnG.
05-01-2011, 03:06 PM
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226419

:eek:

pete roper
05-01-2011, 05:13 PM
So a bike that has been ridden througha pommy winter on roads with heaps of salt on them gets rusty spokes because the owner can't be bothered to rinse them occasionally. Sorry? What am I missing here???

Yes, ideally the spokes would be stainless or have a better finish. I still can't undestand why Piaggio didn't opt for the side-pull rims as used on BMW's and earlier Californias but really? The sky is falling because a bike gets rusty spokes after winter???? P-U-L-E-A-S-E!!!

Incidentally stainless spokes are more prone to fracture which may of been an issue, (Though I doubt it.) and for 2011 if you're not going to be using your Stelvio for semi-serious dirst road work there is the option of easy-clean, painted cast wheels.

Pete

OZSLR
05-02-2011, 02:11 AM
I understood that the guy simply showed that a 2010 plate bike (that retails here for over $20K) and is presented as an "adventure" bike which you would assume would be made from materials that would resist the elements, was prone to rust on the wheels. The comment about it being ridden on salty winter roads in the UK and not getting washed regularly is an assumption without foundation. The guy who took the picture stated "generally the bike looked well looked after these were the only bits with corrosion on pity cos it really spoilt it".

I too love my Guzzis, but I think in these times, for the price, and for the age of the bike, it does ask a few questions.

JohnG.
05-02-2011, 03:23 PM
I too love Guzzis,but poor quality & poor/cheap sourcing by manufacturers sh@ts me.
Why not source the same wheels as used on Caponords/BMW's ??
My 9yr old daily driver,hardly washed,Capo wheels look near new in comparsion.