PDA

View Full Version : Breva 750 FNG

la10duh
09-04-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm a f'n new guy to Guzzi, recently bought a Breva 750 (07 - 800 miles, bags, windshield, carbon fiber pipes). My last 8 or 10 bikes have been mostly BMWs and a couple of Hondas (Old G-Wing, ST1100), and a Vespa 250 (great scoot). I also have a Scarabeo 500ie.
My wife doesn't want to do any long distance touring so I bought the Aprilia, but missed having a "cycle" when I came across MG. It's a blast to ride.
Are there any Guzzi quirks I should be aware of? thx.

pete roper
09-04-2010, 07:32 PM
If you are planning to do any longer rides, espeially in hot weather, I STRONGLY recommend that you purchase one of Ed Milich's sump extensions. The smallblocks only have a very weedy engine oil capacity and run quite lean and hot. In hot weather, especially if the motor is being used quite hard, it is easy to get the oil so hot it becomes over-taxed, (This is also a reason you should use a full synth 10/60 engine oil as theyare much less prone to breaking down in high heat/stress situations.) once it reaches that point it seems to 'Vanish' very quickly. There are more than a few smallblock riders who found this out the hard way when their big ends cried 'uncle' in the middle of the desert!!!! It is very advisable to check your oil very regularly, once a week or daily when touring, even more often if you're riding from Vegas to LA in summer!

Adding the sump extension give you another quart of oil capacity and unlike the earlier big blocks you don't run the extension to add crankcase volume but to add oil so you use the same mark on your dipstick when the extension is fitted.

The sump extension is the best and only mod I would make to a smallblock. The top end design using side-draught Heron heads does not lend it self easily to performance enhancement and the WM15RC ECU is not easy to modify and gains will be small even if everything is attempted to zip up the performance a bit.

Pete

abouc
09-04-2010, 08:12 PM
I almost bought a Breva 750 or V7 Classic last spring, but decided to hold off another year and take care of some other expenses first. Guzzis are great bikes.

Pete is the resident Guzzi master. Here's a link to that sump extender from a thread about 750 Guzzis and wet weather - http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2476611&postcount=23

Link to the whole thread - http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200686

la10duh
09-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks guys. I have purchased adjustable levers for clutch and brake, otherwise I'll stand firm for now. I don't plan on doing much very hot weather riding. I live in New England, and my second "bike" is a Scarabeo 500ie, which is a more comfortable ride on very warm days.