PDA

View Full Version : Frame Polishing and swingarm painting

Rs502000
01-17-2010, 03:29 PM
hi ive had my rs50 off the road a few times and now the head bearings are being replaced i thought i may aswell strip the bike down and polish up the frame and paint the swingarm. I have read many threads and most people seem to say just polish the frame with autosol for ages and ages but some people said this isnt very effective. wha should i use and how long should it take me to do? And would it be ok to just sand down the rear swing arm and just slap some airosol black paint on it from halfords and use clear lacquer on it?

thanks.

bourney2007
01-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Not sure on the swingarm. Ideally you want to be powdercoating that mate, but i guess you could try slapping some black on it.....

As for the frame polishing, is it painted or powdercoated currently? If so get ready for the worst time you'll ever experience in your life.

It's taken me 3 months (on and off obviously) to polish up the bottom parts of my frame to a mirror finish.
I started with 320 grit wet and dry, then went to 600's, then to 800's then 1200's and finished off with 1500's.
I probably used about 3-4 sheet of each grit sandpaper per side!

Then chucked autosol on and used a buffer. It has come up bloody brilliant to be fair.
Just got to re-do the top half where the previous owner fooked it up lol

Rs502000
01-17-2010, 03:54 PM
its painted or however it came out the factory (stock) but ive noticed where some previous owner has rubbed to hard there is a diffrence in colour where he had gone through the paint. If i sanded/polished the frame all at once how long do you reckon it would take? so you think the swingarm would look ok with a spray of black and laquer thanks!

bourney2007
01-17-2010, 04:16 PM
its painted or however it came out the factory (stock) but ive noticed where some previous owner has rubbed to hard there is a diffrence in colour where he had gone through the paint. If i sanded/polished the frame all at once how long do you reckon it would take? so you think the swingarm would look ok with a spray of black and laquer thanks!

As i said mate, havn't got a clue about the swingarm. Don't know much about painting.
Personally i wouldn't do it though. Saying that it could always be sanded back off i guess.

I'm not sure how long it would take you, there was a guy who used to come on here regular called max, i know he reckoned he polished his in 2 hours!

The honda paint from factory (on the bike i have polished up) is a motherfucking bitch to remove! Thats why it's taken me so long.

Rs502000
01-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Lol ill give the swingarm ago anyway can always do it again i guess and thanks for your help ill keep you posted on my progress ill strip the bike tomorrow and proberly start on polishing on friday.
thanks for you help

bourney2007
01-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Lol ill give the swingarm ago anyway can always do it again i guess and thanks for your help ill keep you posted on my progress ill strip the bike tomorrow and proberly start on polishing on friday.
thanks for you help

no problem mate, good luck.

Oh... there is one good thing about it.

I decided to build up my arm muscles before attempting the many hours of sanding ahead. So, what did i do... gym? weights? press-ups?

Naahhhh shit load of wanks!! :D LOL LOL

bilsta
01-17-2010, 05:44 PM
ill give you some step by step shit bitch:

1. depending on frame condition, if theres any deep scratches then use a lower grit say 120, to get them out, then 300, 400, 600, 800, 1200, 1500.

2. degrease the surface.

3. buy yourself a big fat hammer drill.

4. go on the internet and buy a 3 stage polishing kit, that includes compounds and mops

5.start with the gritty compound and thick mop and use this to get arid of the imperfections if you have any left over from sanding, if not then use the middle one and add a little bit at a time to the mop and start polishing.

6. use the final compound (normally light blue ) and finish off the frame.

7.if you wanted to use something like autosol to protect it , but it will most likely dull it down a little.

heres some that iv done :

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj155/bilsta21/65180758-1.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj155/bilsta21/0d12c990-1.jpg

iv done some other shit but cant be arsed to get it.

DanHam
01-17-2010, 06:04 PM
I love polished things, but can I fucked be arsed doing them. There was once a guy with an R1, it took him 30 hours to polish his frame.

bilsta
01-17-2010, 06:08 PM
thats probabley about right, think of sanding down a frame thoroughly with about 9 different grits of sand paper and then polishing that shit up? fuck that!

bourney2007
01-17-2010, 06:13 PM
thats probabley about right, think of sanding down a frame thoroughly with about 9 different grits of sand paper and then polishing that shit up? fuck that!

You're fucking telling me!

I've still got half a frame to do. It's so fucking boring!

DanHam
01-17-2010, 06:16 PM
I did some stainless steel, about an inch in width by about a foot. Fuck me what a blaggg! I was getting pissed of, anyway I got them done, laquerd the fuckers and they still went rusty :S

bilsta
01-17-2010, 06:32 PM
loool pissed

maxiboi247
01-17-2010, 07:21 PM
my frame is covered in shit now :( gona wait for a nice sunny, warmish day to do it :)