PDA

View Full Version : EICMA Ghezzi

rdbandkab
11-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Check this one out.

Maxacceleration
11-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Very Nice bike.
Sometime Ghezzi is hit & miss on their styling.
And is that stuff ever available to the public?
The MGS-01? What happened there?
Gone before it arrived.
Great stuff (!) but no one ever sees it.
Doesn't look like Piaggio has any interest in taking on Ghezzi design...

Dan M
11-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Very Nice bike.
Sometime Ghezzi is hit & miss on their styling.

Agreed, some are fantastic and others are odd. This one is cool but I could do without the side panels.

OZSLR
11-24-2009, 06:49 PM
but I could do without the side panels.

And the Mechano set hanging off the back!

HighPlainsRider
11-24-2009, 07:13 PM
The MGS-01? What happened there?

Exactly...my fav MG to date. Shame it never saw the light of day.

SF2DieHard
11-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Exactly...my fav MG to date. Shame it never saw the light of day.

MGS-01. Sigh. yes, they are doing some nice bread-and-butter moves with the intro of the V7 smallblock cafe replica but........
they would do well to add the MGS-01 to the line-up too. IMO.

D-Master

OZSLR
11-24-2009, 11:27 PM
What's the donor bike here? It looks Grisoish!

azboy
11-25-2009, 12:18 AM
still trying to figure out the rearset/shift lever arrangement :confused:

pete roper
11-25-2009, 12:45 AM
What's the donor bike here? It looks Grisoish!

Donor bike seems to be a Griso 1200. The motive unit, (Motor, clutch, gearbox, final drive.) is a direct lift from any or all of the Nuovo 8V Guzzis which includes the Griso 12, the Stelvio and Sport 1200 and soon the Nuovo Norge 8V.

Whatever is done to it it will remain a monstrous, overweight pig of a thing and while it can have a 'Sporting' appearance and 'Sporting' pretensions it will never BE a 'Sports' bike. It is limited by so many things, not the least of which is that it is still using a crankcase that has been used on every Guzzi big-block, (MGS-01 included.) since the V7 Ambassador of 1967.

Guzzi make a superb ROAD bike, always have, and a Guzzi will punch well above its weight in the right hands but they are NOT and never have been a 'Sports' bike.

The MGS-01 was a 'Track only' machine, all you have to do is look at the service specs for it to see it is a pure race-bike. You're expected to throw away major components like cranks and rods after only a few hours. That's the price you pay for trying to drag 140HP out of an obsolete shitbox. The 'Old' Hi-Cam on which the MGS-01 is based was the last design produced by, (I think?) Carcanno, who was a superb engineer but by that time was also very old, and it shows. The 'Old' Hi-Cam is very much like a 1950's race bike, gear driven idler shaft, vernierable cams, but it is still purely air cooled unlike the Nuovo Hi-Cam which is essentially liquid cooled with air assist. It has the oil pick-up exposure prone 'Broad Sump' and a fracture prone oil pump gear. The Nuovo Hi-Cam is a much, much better thing.

Having said that I can understand why people want a Guzzi that LOOKS like a Sports bike but I fear that if they DO build something like that using the 8V engine it will not sell as it's power output will be seen as inadequate.

FWIW my piped-up 8V Griso, (The one in Oz, not the one in the USA.) was dyno'd at 96.4RWHP. there is more to come with a decent map modifier but it will pull virtually to redline even in its current super-rich-at-the-top-end format which equates to hitting the rev limiter at 235KPH. 105HP should be easily achievable but I'm working on improving the midrange rather than the top end as for ROAD use that is what Guzzis have always excelled at.

If one wants a Sporty' Guzzi building a Tonti framed cafe is probably the best way to go. I'm responsible for the build, (But not the riding!) of one of the most successfull Post Classic racers in Oz. It has to be geared down so Rob, (The pilot.) can take turn one at Eastern Creek flat out:happy: Yeah, you can make 'em fast AND reliable. All it takes is MONEY!!!!!

Pete

OZSLR
11-25-2009, 02:10 AM
I just looked at the "8V" motor/drivetrain and where the side stand was mounted and seemed pretty obvious it was a Griso base.

I have a slightly different view on the sports thing and think the term can be used for a bike like this. There are existing categories of supersport and superbike that define the bleeding edge, and also ones like Dual Sport for bikes that are hardly track weapons. It's not an enduro, neither a sportstourer, motard, hypermotard, naked bike, cruiser, retro, adventure bike the list goes on.

As far as performance goes, 100ish HP and gobs or torque in the 3-7K range is perfect for a road based sports bike and a bit more weight does not go astray on our crappy roads.

pete roper
11-25-2009, 04:18 AM
As far as performance goes, 100ish HP and gobs or torque in the 3-7K range is perfect for a road based sports bike and a bit more weight does not go astray on our crappy roads.

You won't find me disagreeing there.

Pete

SF2DieHard
11-25-2009, 09:15 AM
I developed this "ideal"

When Performance equals or exceeds Relialibility you have a track bike
When Reliability equals or exceeds Performance you have a road bike

Sounds like the MGS-01 is _not_ a road bike. But I am interested in something with performance equal to or greater than the 4V V10 Sport of the late 90's that still is reliable enough to be a good road bike.
And that Tonti framed idea makes me happy Pete. Oh yeah, I have already ranted and raved about that. :)

D-Master

Maxacceleration
11-25-2009, 09:28 AM
How about GT? Gran Tourisimo

This has headlights...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/Maxxamillion/image02.jpg

FalcoLion
11-25-2009, 04:28 PM
How about GT? Gran Tourisimo

This has headlights...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/Maxxamillion/image02.jpg

All it takes to get this one is about $7000 and a donor V11. You get a bodywork, lights, front instrument subframe and rear subframe. You also provide the paint job. To be honest with you its on a priciey side even considering you will have ultra exclusive bike

SF2DieHard
11-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Well Max - that is Hot As Hell!!!!!! I like that bad Bitch.

D-Master