PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter removal

Kid Thunder
11-11-2009, 04:53 PM
How I get this damn oil filter off on my Griso 8V? I have tried 6 different filter removal caps & none fit!
They fit fine on the replacement filter I bought.
This filter was put on by the dealer on the first service.
Don-M

FORZA
11-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Ducati filter tools fit.

Dave Ward
Moto Italia
Aprilia-Ducati-Moto Guzzi
0432 441 985

pete roper
11-11-2009, 07:14 PM
For some reason known only to the wonderful and enlightened at UFI the number of flutes on the filter has been changed from eight to fourteen.

Now this *may* be a result of them finding that 8 flutes wasn't enough to get the filter tight enough without slipping off, (There have been leakage problems on some of the 'Nuovo sump' models and this seems to be cured by further tightening. Whether this is an issue with poorly threaded filters which I've heard reported or simply shops run by mongoloids not having a cap wrench so they try to do 'em up by hand, or rather finger, (Don't try this unless you want to buy new bearings or, in the case of the 8V a new crankcase!) I don't know.

If the filter is reluctant to move get one of these

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418HmQJmEFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

There are a variety of types, make sure you get one with thin *Arms* that will grab the filter inside its cavity. Once you've got the old one off use the cap wrench to install the new one, don't forget to oil the seal/ gasket before installation.

FORZA
11-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Did you get a set that work???
I have tried those & never been able to get them to work.
I even welded really badly (is there any other way???) across the feet to try & get some grip.

Dave.

pete roper
11-11-2009, 07:35 PM
I had to use one on the filter on my 8V. It was a right 'Rhymes with Runt' to get the second filter off as I'd been *enthusiastic* in doing it up due to the leakage problems I'd heard about. It tried to slip at first so I put some pieces of coarse 'wet and dry' around the legs for extra grip, then the bugger worked!

Pete

Kid Thunder
11-12-2009, 12:20 AM
Thanks guys. I got it off with a spring loaded adjustable filter wrench. Just BARELY fit. Did not fit all the way up but enough to work. I had a NAPA filter already that the cheap cap wrenches fit.
The dealer had it on a little tight, but at least it didn't leak.
Thanks,
Don-M
I figured that the filter "flutes" were changed. It just looked weird!