PDA

View Full Version : Frame question

SF2DieHard
09-03-2009, 10:08 PM
So i have been thinking that the best motorcycle for me is a Bassa. But they are no longer in production to my knowledge and they were not very common when they were in production.
I was told by a dealer-owner that the Bassa was built on the Tonti frame - the frame that the original LeMans cafe bike used. So the Bassa looked like a cruiser but handled like a sportbike.

So.......
do the EV machines use the Tonti frame? Does anything in the Guzzi line up use the Tonti frame? Are other current models close enough to the Bassa that I can just throw some low wide bars on it and be done? Like the Stone or Jackal or something?

Thanks for any sensible input.

D-Master
(check the link for a GREAT sounding Bassa)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAsfsNG8B5g

evandewan
09-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Dave at moto international is one guy to ask (guzziology author) and can be reached at sales@motointernational.com
another Guzzi fan is our very own SoulDaddy, you can give him a PM?

SoulDaddy
09-04-2009, 09:37 PM
I'll be happy to put some posts up on the Guzzi forums I'm on, but Dave is indeed the Major Domo of MG.

pete roper
09-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Although there have been changes to the Tonti frame over the years the essential archiecture remains the same.

Essentially ALL the Calis from about 95 on use the same frame. In 2002 the design of the universal joint and the swingarm were revised but other than this they are much of a muchness.

Suspension components have changed, but not by a lot, and there have been a couple of itterations of the motor, the most obvious difference being that in 2003-4 some models were sold with Hydraulic lifters in the valve train. Unfortunately the factory didn't initially do the sums right and there were failures of cams and tappets. BUT! the factory did produce a fix and as long as the parts were replaced BEFORE they failed or, if they had failed the oil pump was inspected and replaced if needed, (It usually does need it!) the Hydros are the absolute pick of the bunch.

Stealthy silent unlike the usual 'Two cheesgraters fornicating in an iron tank' top end, sealmess power delivery and smooth as a baby's bum, (as long as they are set up right. That was the engine that SHOULD of been in the Norge!!!

Because of the 'Problems' Hydros can be had very cheap and most of them come with all the top of the range bling. Luggage, tubeless rims, adjustable suspension etc.

Phone up MPH in Houston and talk to Todd. He owns one and will give you an honest, no bullshit apraisal.

Tonti frame Guzzis! Like Mecchano for grown ups. You can do anything with any of them from Cafe- Racering them to turning them into hideous touring barges!!!!

Enjoy!!

Pete

SF2DieHard
09-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Tonti frame Guzzis! Like Mecchano for grown ups. You can do anything with any of them from Cafe- Racering them to turning them into hideous touring barges!!!!

Enjoy!!

Pete

Exactly!!!! :):plus::cheers::worship:

blaufraustein
09-28-2009, 04:47 AM
Exactly!!!! :):plus::cheers::worship:

How very true!

restored vespa
vintage vespa
Tractor Parts

SF2DieHard
09-28-2009, 07:55 AM
How very true!

restored vespa
vintage vespa
Tractor Parts

What are the tractor parts? a T3?? :kidding::)

D-Master

Bill in OKC
09-28-2009, 05:05 PM
A very sad sight.

SoulDaddy
09-28-2009, 06:39 PM
I like the Sportster gas tank ... backwards-mounted for increased aerodynamics, no doubt.

SF2DieHard
09-29-2009, 08:18 AM
"BFI" says it all: "Bunch of Freakin Idiots" Hee hee. Just for the record - I don't think that machine has a Tonti frame.............

D-Master

SF2DieHard
02-15-2010, 01:02 PM
there is a thread in "General Motorcycle" about the New BMW 1000 where I mentioned the merits of the Bassa/California and mentioned how it has the Tonti frame. And there was a response from Tifa questioning whether the Bassa has the same rake/trail that the LeMans did. Can I inquire upon the divine wisdom of the Mighty Sage Pete Roper?? I would be rather surprised to find the Bassa has the same steering geometry as the LeMans.

D-Master

pete roper
02-15-2010, 01:22 PM
If it isn't the same it's very, very close. The biggest change to the Tonti frame in its three billion year history was at the stage when the Mk IV eMAns came out. At that point the steering head was lengthened. At other points the swingarm length was increased. Other than that the basic igures like rake and trail have remained, I believe, identical.

Pete

OZSLR
02-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Taking the Mark III out for a run vs the Falco and aside from obvious power and features differences, from a handling perspective a Tonti Framed bike on narrow sectioned tyres still holds it head up high IMHO.

SF2DieHard
02-16-2010, 12:23 AM
I could live with one forever.