PDA

View Full Version : Smitty's Triples

CDNSXV
08-14-2009, 03:36 PM
So I got a set of Smitty's Triple Clamps for my SXV.

Question on how the steering stem is held in place on the lower triple? The stem goes through the offset insert which is then clamped into the lower triple. There doesn't appear to be any mechanism for clamping the stem into that aluminum insert.

Also I'd assume it is possible to unbolt everything and spin the insert around to change the offset without actually removing the steering stem from the steering head. If that were so it would be nice as completely disassembling the steering stem and head everytime I want to try a new offset will be a serious PIA.

Anyone used a set of these and would like to let me in on the secrets?

antbreon
08-14-2009, 08:03 PM
the stem is pressed into the insert ...there is a pin holding it straight .. then a bolt clamps it tight ...yes you would need to dissasemble the whole front to change...set it at 11 and go you will be happy

CDNSXV
08-15-2009, 01:03 AM
I got two sets of inserts. To change from one set to the other I'd have to press the stem out of one and into the other? That kinda sucks.

antbreon
08-15-2009, 06:14 AM
true ...if you could come up with another stem...then just leave one in each..you will probably never run 21 or 17 again it will be 11 or 14 ..most likely 11...one you get what you like you wont ever change them again ...they totaly transformed the dike ..it was always slow and felt heavy compared to other supermotos i had ridden ...now it feels like it should

CDNSXV
08-15-2009, 10:56 AM
I think my SXV is twitchy and steers ultra quick compared to my last sportbike. So it slightly concerns me when people describe it as being "slow and heavy". Makes me wonder what the smaller settings are going to do to the bike.

antbreon
08-15-2009, 11:47 AM
if you have ever ridden a husky or ktm you would understand ..better ...the sxv stock is like a small standard... SM bikes are much more tossable..when i get on my r1 now it feels like a heavy pig that wont stop...i can honestly say there are no ill affects from going to 11 ...but you will need to clearance for the ignition and clearance for more lock to lock ...

CDNSXV
08-15-2009, 01:49 PM
I have a Scotts damper in there so I will have to figure out how that fits. I think I'll probably go with 14 mm to start. I'm not gonna get it all together till the winter as the bike is getting ridden a fair bit while there is no snow on the ground. :)

irie
08-15-2009, 04:05 PM
I have a Scotts damper in there so I will have to figure out how that fits. I think I'll probably go with 14 mm to start. I'm not gonna get it all together till the winter as the bike is getting ridden a fair bit while there is no snow on the ground. :)

Don't bother, go straight to 11. At first it'll feel a little strange at very low speeds, but just be warned that it'll turn really tight so initially be careful you don't run into the inside of corners - I'm not joking! After 5 minutes you'll be smiling from ear to ear.

antbreon
08-16-2009, 08:00 AM
the thing you need to do even at 14 will be clearance for the key and lock to lock ...it is fine just riding around but when you fall over inthe parking lot infront of everyone because you couldnt turn the bars to keep balance itis embarrasing ...

CDNSXV
08-16-2009, 06:11 PM
I already had to shorten the steering for the damper.

Markee
08-17-2009, 06:00 AM
Works fine for me on 11mm and I wont go back to 21mm ever. The lock to lock is a pain but only in the pits, on track it hasn't been a problem.
Totally transforms the bike, change of direction is incredibly quick and they are so much more stable at high speed.