PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Member / New Aprilia SXV 5.5

ApTard
08-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Hey,
Awsome forums ! Tons of info and tons of entertainment. Thanks for all the good reading.
Was wondering if anyone could give me some guidence , a thread link is fine but whatever. Just got my 5.5 home yesterday. It's an 08' and how do they sell a bike with all those restricitions , lol , needless to say they are all gone but now I guess I need to map ? it ? My buddies , buddy , has a tuneboy and loves it. Can I borrow his to tune my bike after the derestriction ? Also can you suggest the right map for a fully stock bike. I removed the throttle stop , airbox restrictor and the exhaust cones. Looking to spend the least amount of money possible here. Not a racer. Just a weekend warrior on the shaded twisties in northwest connecticut. Thanks in advance for the help.

Ken

SXVINWA
08-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Northwest CT? I grew up in Winsted! You need to get a new map in it before running it after removing all the derestriction parts or you are going to destroy the motor! You can use your buddies tuneboy cable if you purchase the software key for your ECU. Most commonly recommended map is 15030 for a stock machine. Make SURE you set the TPS correctly and check the synch of the throttle bodies if you do it yourself. Good luck, and welcome to the party!

ApTard
08-09-2009, 08:21 PM
oh boy , I been riding it all day!!

I'm in New Milford now , grew up in Norwalk.

jphillips
08-09-2009, 08:22 PM
oh boy , I been riding it all day!!

Uh oh...

ApTard
08-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Dont say that. Whut oh , uh oh ?

SXVINWA
08-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Oh, boy... You have some reading to do!! The TPS is the throttle position sensor. It is a potentiometer connected to the throttle bodies that tells the ECU where they are. Now that you have removed the stop screw, the throttle bodies open WAY more than they used to. The bigger problem is that your ECU is using a map designed for the restrictions installed and without them, your fueling values are NOT going to be even close. Either plug into the ECU and get the serial number to purchase the tuneboy key or get it back to a dealer for the map download and final tuning. Setup of the ECU and throttle bodies is critical to make these bikes run well. There are a couple of critical steps to setting the TPS values that sometimes get overlooked by inexperienced techs, so do some reading on this site and on xvasylum and slorider to get a good idea of how things are supposed to be done. Even some dealers have been known to botch some... only human after all.

ApTard
08-09-2009, 08:40 PM
thanks man

SXVINWA
08-09-2009, 08:54 PM
A couple of things I meant to bring up, but forgot... Read up on the propper oil change procedures, it will save you a big mess in your airbox. On this forum there are a lot of guys that seem to know their sh$t. You will figure out who they are after a little reading. The three wise men seem to be Allen Noland, Amauri and CAL550 most of the time.

jphillips
08-09-2009, 08:56 PM
im not sure that anything is even wrong at this point..but one thing it says all over this site if you search for any info regarding de-restriction and re-mapping is to not ride a de-restricted bike unless it has been remapped.. here is a snippit i found on a quick search

Next comes the derestriction and then a trip back to the dealer to download the new map. The chief mechanic warned me not to run the derestricted bike until the new map has been installed - because of the lean set-up it will seize up in 10 minutes!

i've read alot of similar posts thats all

RXV_Poor
08-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Welcome to the forum & I hope you enjoy your ride.

TLO03
08-09-2009, 10:56 PM
i often ride up rt.67

proslider
08-10-2009, 09:24 AM
You should not ride the derestricted bike without the new map. My mechanic warned me that the stock map is so lean the bike will sieze in 10 minutes!

ApTard
08-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Well I rode it for a good 3 hours after derestricting it. Now that Im over the initial panic of reading DONT RIDE IT WITHOUT THE MAP!!!! ...

Im gonna get tuneboy and carbtune today. Somebody stop me if they have one for sale or know where I can grab them cheapest. Again all the help is very appreciated.

I also saw a " glazing " of oil in the airbox when I was in there. Whats the big deal with it being in there ? Seems like they wouldnt even stuff that hose in there if it was something to be concerned about. The hose ends at a foam cup and the return hose is at the bottom of the cup. I think thats what I saw.

SXVINWA
08-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Read the "engine oiling systems" sticky thread and you will get a better idea of what is going on with the engine fluids and how they end up in the airbox. You will find that the engine oil and gearbox oil are separate, each with a breather that leads to the airbox. Blow a seal, loose a gasket, or botch the oil change and your fluids will end up flooding the airbox first... rear tire second... (over simplified, but you should get the picture)

Allen Noland
08-10-2009, 09:36 PM
The three wise men seem to be Allen Noland, Amauri and CAL550 most of the time.

Three wise guys eh, nyuk, nyuk nyuk..... Sorry guys, it seems that I just can't stop myself sometimes!..... Hey Moe, Hey Moe!