PDA

View Full Version : ? about starting issue on 66' vbb

ApriliaNick
08-05-2009, 06:55 AM
Hi guys I'm new to the vespa section but have been in the Sr 50 Aprilia category for a while, anyways I recently fired up my dads 66' vespa 150 VBB It had sat for years till about a month ago I poured fuel in and it fired on the second kick, since then I have to kick it 20-30 times to get it fired up,it gives a hint of starting two to three kicks before it does fire up but seems like it might be an adjustment somewhere,it runs and drives fine but what can I look into, What can I adjust if anything, it's got a new plug and is chocolate brown in color, any help is appreciated

Micah / AF1 Racing
08-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Have you measured compression? 60-65 is about minimal to light off well. After sitting for that long I would definitely clean the carb and just make sure it is actually flowing correctly before making adjustments. A scooter that old and left sitting for years has a lot of possible gremlins. Eliminating those two variables in that order is good way to start bringing any old engine to life again.

ApriliaNick
08-07-2009, 05:13 AM
Have you measured compression? 60-65 is about minimal to light off well. After sitting for that long I would definitely clean the carb and just make sure it is actually flowing correctly before making adjustments. A scooter that old and left sitting for years has a lot of possible gremlins. Eliminating those two variables in that order is good way to start bringing any old engine to life again.Yeah actually it has 75 lbs of compression which I thought might be too low. Being as old as it is I'm surprised it runs at all. Another thing is even with the fuel petcock closed fuel still flows to the carburater and is leaking out from it, the other day I accidentlly left it turned on reserve, kicked it twice and it fired up, that just seemed weird not having to kick it 20+ times to start it. do you think this could be the problem( petcock not working ). I'll take apart the carb, clean and see if it helps.

AM KUIT
06-20-2010, 11:20 AM
sounds like it is FLOODED with fuel.

XXIIAJC
07-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Funny, I just did the same thing with my Dad's 66 Sears BB that had been sitting since at least 02. I couldn't get it to start at all. Checked the spark plug and saw I was getting spark so I then took apart the carb and cleaned it all up and she still wouldn't turn over. I played with the adjustments on the carb and still nothing. I then opened up the choke and it started! I just had to adjust the idle screw some and it stayed running. Now I'm just waiting for the new tires (old ones had dry rot) to take it out for a spin. Plan on restoring it as time goes on...........

ApriliaNick
07-23-2011, 12:17 AM
mines getting restored at the moment, Ill post pics soon. Love the vintage vespa's!!

durkn
07-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Change the fuel petcock gasket & rebuild the carb...

durkn
07-23-2011, 12:27 PM
If you need parts, call David at Scooter Mercato 678-867-0119