PDA

View Full Version : Flame out?

ckevg
07-19-2009, 10:45 AM
First, I'd like to say hi to everyone! It's been a while! I have been putting some serious seat time on the ole 2007 SXV 450 lately. I was going to head to the track today, until a problem arose. She stalled twice in a row this morning while stopping at stop signs. Both times she fired right back up. It was a very similar feeling and sound that my KX450 made when it flamed out a few times. Has anyone experienced this? If so causes? Jetting changes fixed my KX, should I get the SXV re-mapped? Hopefully it's something simple.

Possible useful info....
Slight incline at each stop sign
Fully warmed up, was on my way back from a warm up run.
Coolant level fine
No weird stuff in water or on oil cap
Oil level a little lower in the tube since change (1.5 hrs since last change)
Oil color normal/clean
Plugs three hours old, haven't pulled them to check for color yet

Only change I made this morning was adjusting the clutch lever to engage it sooner.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Kevin

proslider
07-19-2009, 11:21 AM
You may have your clutch engagement too close. Sounds like the clutch is engaging too soon. I had that problem which was solved by increasing the clutch engagement distance. The only time you need the clutch anyway is at stops and starting.

ckevg
07-19-2009, 11:32 AM
I went back out with the clutch as it was and could not get it to replicate the issue. That still might be part of the problem though. Since I'm playing the mechanic, she's probably just not cooperating. Thanks for the input!

ckevg
07-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Did a once over, seems that she is using more oil than normal. Everything else checks out ok :bangwall: Take that back, I didn't check the stator nor the flywheel bolts. Which have been replaced before....

Olof Eriksson
07-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Go for a real ride and then check the oil, you might just be imagining ;)

You should use the clutch for all downshits unless you are in a situation where you dont have time or the possibility to use the clutch. Shifting up is ok but shifting down puts a lot more force on the gears!

ckevg
07-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Go for a real ride and then check the oil, you might just be imagining ;)

You should use the clutch for all downshits unless you are in a situation where you dont have time or the possibility to use the clutch. Shifting up is ok but shifting down puts a lot more force on the gears!

Yeah I do on down shifts. I use the clutch for both up and down shifts. Maybe that's why I'm so slow..LOL! I'm going on a hooligan ride in a few, so we'll see how she acts. I drained and added the correct amount of oil, just in case. Also to make sure the fcv wasn't sticking.

Hey, did you ever make it to the US? Mike emailed me on FB the other day.

Later...

Thanks,
Kevin