PDA

View Full Version : 07 sxv CA street legal

jrivir
07-15-2009, 11:41 PM
What up dudes.. Im living in so Cal and got a killer deal offered to me on a brand new Aprilia 07 450sxv. The bike has been de restricted already by the dealer but they said they will be unable to help me get it tagged. I know some 07s sxv's have been offered on craigslist tagged and ready to go. Does anybody got the scoop on getting it tagged in cali? I know that the VIN is street legal but what else do I gotta do???

drift
07-16-2009, 11:31 AM
What my dealer told me was to install lights and mirrors, don't take off any stickers (you need the CARB sticker), then take it to the DMV for registration. They will verify VIN and Engine numbers; make sure you know the locations.

It will be a crap shoot... you may or may not get it registered. If you don't, you can go back on another day in hopes of getting a different person, or go to another DMV to try again. No guarantees that you'll be able to register it... but it has been done successfully.

Bruce

soyrico
07-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Tip:

-Make sure you have all your paper in order and filled out right by the dealer. Don't leave anything to question by the DMV.

-Load your bike up at the dealer and drive straight to the DMV. When your next in line stay cool, calm and smile. Hand over your papers and say you would like to get plates for your new bike that you just purchased which you have on the trailer or truck right now.

-Big TIP - Don't ask any other questions or volunteer anything unless asked. Answer short and to the point. No violin stories. Its not going to help.

- Because the 07 wasn't homologated tell your dealer not to put 'for off road use' or OHV on the paper work...something like that. I can't remember what the paper work was called at the moment. If the dealer fills out the forms right you should be golden.

Do some seaching on this forum and you will get anserws.

Good luck man! Let us know what happens.

stan23
07-16-2009, 05:52 PM
When you buy the bike, you'll get an MSO.

You take the MSO to DMV to get your plate/registration -- the pink slip will come later.

You do not need to bring your bike for any inspection or any thing else.

If you're lucky, you'll get a plate - however, i've heard stories of plates getting pulled after the fact (kinda like the '04 Husky fiasco)

darkside
07-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Me and 2 other buddies did it. If you're buying new from the dealer it's easier. I wouldn't attempt it on a used bike. You sign a form to your dealer stating that you will register it yourself. Then take the the MSO and the dealer paperwork to the DMV. Basically all you need is the new vehicle dealer paperwork. The MSO actually confused the gal at the DMV on mine, but my buddies sailed right through.

soyrico
07-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Me and 2 other buddies did it. If you're buying new from the dealer it's easier. I wouldn't attempt it on a used bike. You sign a form to your dealer stating that you will register it yourself. Then take the the MSO and the dealer paperwork to the DMV. Basically all you need is the new vehicle dealer paperwork. The MSO actually confused the gal at the DMV on mine, but my buddies sailed right through.

Darkside is right its easy to do. It's worth trying to get that plate. Get that MSO and give it a shot. It's good that some are pointing out the DMV details, I call them loop holes but don't get detured. GO FOR IT MAN!

Good luck!

darkside
07-17-2009, 03:12 PM
You gotta play the game. If you get a hard ass at the DMV. Tell them you need to talk the the dealer and cancel the whole thing and get all your paperwork back and try again later or at a different DMV. DO NOT let them register as off road. Once it's in the system it's hard to change it.

jrivir
07-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I talked the salesman into hitting the "on" road button on the computer instead of the "off" road. Got my temp tag, and as long as the paperwork clears in sactown, the plates should be on their way. lovin this bike!

jphillips
07-21-2009, 06:49 PM
nice work

These things feel like they should have never been allowed on public roads...I love it!

soyrico
07-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I talked the salesman into hitting the "on" road button on the computer instead of the "off" road. Got my temp tag, and as long as the paperwork clears in sactown, the plates should be on their way. lovin this bike!

Just curious... did you ask the sales guys about the MSO and you doing the DMV work yourself? In any case I hope you get the plates man.:cheers: