PDA

View Full Version : another speedo not working

BC61
05-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Bike was towed home in the back of my truck the other night in the rain. The next day speedo isn't working, neither is the odo. Everything else inthe gauge cluster works fine. I've looked through the forum and found the battery disconect trick, didn't fix it. Checked all connections and fuses. I can't believe the pickup is now faulty from a little rain. Is there anything else that could make this thing not work? I'm leaving for a rally in the am so no time to order a new pickup to trouble shoot. Not running the rally without an odo is going to be a pain. I hope all the transit roads are well marked!

BC61
05-20-2009, 06:22 PM
no mph, no odo, no pinched wires

Markee
05-20-2009, 06:46 PM
BC check the speedo cable at the fork guard where it runs beside the front brake cable.
The retaining clip built into the for guard isn't that great. The speedo cable may have come free and be rubbing on the front tyre.

Allen Noland
05-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Is it possible that you have accidentally turned off the speed display?

To disable a screen:
1. Start the vehicle
2. Display the screen you wish to disable
3. Press SCROLL until WS is displayed at the bottom right of the display
4. While holding the SCROLL button, flash the high-beam light 5 times
5. Release the SCROLL button
To enable all screens:
1. Carry out the same procedure as above, starting from the ODO screen

crank1000
05-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Bike was towed home in the back of my truck the other night in the rain. The next day speedo isn't working, neither is the odo. Everything else inthe gauge cluster works fine. I've looked through the forum and found the battery disconect trick, didn't fix it. Checked all connections and fuses. I can't believe the pickup is now faulty from a little rain. Is there anything else that could make this thing not work? I'm leaving for a rally in the am so no time to order a new pickup to trouble shoot. Not running the rally without an odo is going to be a pain. I hope all the transit roads are well marked!

May be a stupid question, but did you make ANY changes to the front wheel/rotor bolts?

SXVINWA
05-20-2009, 08:58 PM
If you want to try and test the sensor, it is just a magnetic proximity sensor that detects the brake rotor bolt heads. You can test it easily enough with a voltmeter if you get the bike on a stand so that you can rotate the front wheel. The sensor has three wires; a fused 12VDC, a ground and a signal output. You can measure the voltage between the ground conductor (blue/orange on the sensor side of the connector) and the signal conductor (gray/white on the sensor side of the connector) while you slowly rotate the front wheel. Every time a bolt head passes the sensor you should see voltage. The green conductor on the sensor side of the connector is the 12VDC power, so you can also check that to make sure voltage is present. Tons easier than ordering a new sensor if it is not bad!

Mooseknuckles
05-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Disconnect the batt and reconnect. Worked for me!

Markee
05-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Another thought is, where was the bike tied down from when it was on the truck?

The speedo cable wire follows the brake cable up to the m/c then does a u-turn and the wire is cable tied to the bars, maybe the wire was crushed when the bike was tied down.

cyborg
05-20-2009, 10:59 PM
BC61, a few pix for you.

http://cyb.smugmug.com/photos/245528062_cDjAW-L.jpg

This caused the very same symptoms as yours. Not visible externally. I had to cut open the black sheath to see the bad wires that got hammered by the right fork because the bundle of wires was not strapped properly to clear the space on full-lock right turns.

http://cyb.smugmug.com/photos/245531286_8UgRi-L.jpg

I soldered the broken and squished wires back together and insulated them, re-wrapped it all up and strapped the wire bundle up higher and inwards to miss the frame/fork pinch.

Kodiak AK
05-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Great pics Cyborg
:cheers: