PDA

View Full Version : Leo Exhaust question

SkarTisu
05-01-2009, 12:21 PM
I installed my Leos over the winter, and came across an issue I'm not sure how to address properly. The left side mid pipe fits loosely on the exhaust header, which causes the entire can to vibrate when riding.

I tried to shim the header with tin foil to snug things up, but I couldn't get the foil in properly. I've thought about putting an automotive exhaust clamp on the mid pipe to crush it down slightly, but I really don't like that idea. I don't have access to exhaust shop tools, so I can't have the header pipe bulged slightly.

Any other ideas? I'd like to fix this before I pile too many miles on the (excellent sounding) exhaust.

Thanks!

CP598
05-01-2009, 04:04 PM
I think the best bet would be to take both pieces to a muffler shop and have the pipe swedged for a tighter fit.

Dan M
05-01-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm with him. A good exhaust guy can expand your pipe so the muffler is a snug fit. It is just the hassle of pulling the header.
Some shops (like mine) have a portable expander that can do it right on the bike. Just talk to some guys. Find a shop where riders work. I'm sure you'll find someone who will do it for you.

SkarTisu
05-01-2009, 10:42 PM
I asked around locally and found out that a suitable pipe expander is no more than $40 to buy, and I can likely rent one from a local auto parts place. So, I'll give that a try. If that doesn't work out, then I'll bring the bike to an exhaust shop.

Thanks for the ideas, guys!