PDA

View Full Version : Griso 1200 8V

Kid Thunder
03-26-2009, 12:55 AM
Funny, I never noticed the Guzzi forum on the web site & have been a member since 2003, duh!!!
I just put a deposit on a black 2009 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V.
Can't wait to get it.
I also own a red 2003 Aprilia Tuono. Will never sell it but I want something different to ride once in a while.
Hope I like the Guzzi.

RSV4ME
03-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Congrats! Did you notice this thread??? http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169662

Kid Thunder
03-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Yes, that is sweet!! I copied it & left it for my son to see with the note being,
"Now that's a Griso"!!!
Thanks.

FrankBlank
03-29-2009, 12:31 AM
just in case you haven't already heard, there's been a recall on the 8v models. you may want to make sure your dealer has taken care of the updates before you pick it up. you can learn more here:

http://www.servicemotoguzzi.com/public/com_service_/comuGuzzi/Common/en/002-2009.pdf

and here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14516

good luck and enjoy - cool bike! :cheers:

jrflanne
03-29-2009, 02:08 AM
I'm not crazy about the muffler but there is a picture of an Agostini slip-on that looks great. There was a guy who has one of those lime green Sports with the red frame. He had about 34,000 miles on it. Said he had no problems. Keep us posted. I think that is just about the ultimate "cruiser" without all the BS that goes along with that. I really like them.

jrflanne
03-29-2009, 02:17 AM
I'm not crazy about the muffler but there is a picture of an Agostini slip-on that looks great. There was a guy who has one of those lime green Sports with the red frame. He had about 34,000 miles on it. Said he had no problems. Keep us posted. I think that is just about the ultimate "cruiser" without all the BS that goes along with that. I really like them.

Jupiter
03-29-2009, 03:13 AM
The Griso 8V is a great bike, without the usual Italian bike caveats. Good power, tasty power delivery, nice handling, seemingly outstanding build quality (recall notwithstanding). Comfortable.

And you won't see yourself coming down the street very often. It's pretty exotic without the usual stratospheric exotic bike price.

Congratulations, Kid. I think you're really going to like it. Nice pairing with the Tuono, too.

pete roper
03-29-2009, 06:30 AM
Nearly 10,000 miles on mine now. Yes I took particular care with checking stuff on the NEW design top end. Yes I made sure I was scrupulous about the type of oil I use with particular refference to Zinc and Phosphorous additives which are vital for flat tappet motors, especially those using fairly agressive cams.

I also pre-emptively got failed parts tested for hardness by the Royal Australian Mint using state of the art testing equipment and published the results prior to the factory even aknowledging there was a problem.

Yes a small percentage of bikes have soft tappets. Many, many are doing sterling service with no problems. Generally speaking Guzzis, if properly maintained, have no higher incidence of problems than ANY other marque. Problem is that most delerships don't have a 'Mechanic' any more, they have a kid with a certificate to change oil.

Choose where you buy wisely.

The 1200 Griso is a superb bike. It desperately needs a map modifier to allow it to produce its best but with the #2 map installed in the WA 5.9AM 'pooter it is quite civilized but feels like a steam engine on steroids when wound up. If you're after power figures on paper you'll be disappointed. If you want 'escence of motorbike' you won't be.

Don't let the 'Chicken Littles' put you off, it's a fine piece of kit.

pete

FrankBlank
03-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Problem is that most delerships don't have a 'Mechanic' any more, they have a kid with a certificate to change oil.

Choose where you buy wisely.

sadly, the last 2 moto guzzi "dealerships" i've come across have both been car dealers, who seem to have no prior experience with motorcycles. by the look of things, they've gotten into the vespa game because of the recession, and i guess piaggio pushed some guzzis on them as part of the deal. no signage, or staff people with any knowledge - just a bunch of scooters and 1 or 2 bikes parked among the cars.

Kid Thunder
03-30-2009, 12:00 AM
Frank,
Thanks for the Moto Guzzi updates/recalls!
I just mailed it off to Seacoast Cycle. Nice that they know that they are not dealing with a dummy!!
The money should be coming this week.
Again Frank, thanks.
Later,
Don

FrankBlank
03-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Frank,
Thanks for the Moto Guzzi updates/recalls!
I just mailed it off to Seacoast Cycle. Nice that they know that they are not dealing with a dummy!!
The money should be coming this week.
Again Frank, thanks.
Later,
Don

no problem. good luck with the bike. (i'm envious. :))

Superlite 17k
04-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Check out the Zard exhaust for the Griso. Much like the RSV4, I seem to be shopping for the exhaust before the bike.

Kid Thunder
04-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Yeah, I'm the same way. All my bikes had an exhaust before I owned them!!
I like the Zard shape but a little bit to much black. I'm waffleing toward the Termiignoni can. Similar end shape.