View Full Version : 3 days in CA--2 bikes stolen

10-18-2008, 12:01 AM
I relocated from NH to CA last week. Got in late Sunday nite and went to work Monday morning. The following Monday (Oct13), Atlas Van Lines arrived with all my stuff--most importantly, my Fatboy and my Factory. I was so tickled, I rode up and down PCH, basking in the glory of year-round riding....and that's where the fun ends.

I came home from work Wednesday to find BOTH BIKES STOLEN. They were parked in one of my spots in an underground garage in a gated community where I am temporarily living (still had NH plates). For those of you familiar with Orange County, I am in Newport Bluffs (MacArthur & Bonita Canyon).

I filed a police report that same evening and contacted my insurance carrier the next day. In addition, I emailed two of the local Aprilia dealers to request they keep an eye out for my bike in case anyone came in looking to have a an Ape rekeyed (kudos to Newport Powersports in Costa Mesa for offering to "handle" any such character should they show up there).

At any rate, despite the fact that Newport Beach PD said the bikes were probably in a container somewhere being shipped to parts unknown, I figured it would be worth reaching out to the forum community to ask folks to be on the lookout for a whole or parted 2007 RSV Factory. The bike is easily recognizable: aside from the colors of that model year (black with gold frame & wheels), this bike has a Smaltmoto exhaust (black pipes and black carbon cans). It also had some not so obvious mods like a PC and airbox. If you all come across any suspicious looking bits on ebay/craigslist/wherever, I would be most grateful if you could let me know (and ask 'em where my Fatboy is while you're at it). They even took my front and rear pitbull stands on which they bike was parked (they have my initials on them: "CTG"). If you think you are on to something, I do have the VINs for both bikes.

Just one other question I wanted to gather some views on. Am I wrong to suspect the 2 seemingly random guys who showed up with the Atlas Van Lines truck (in their own vehicle) to help unload? I mean, they knew the driver and weren't moto-savvy themselves (one of them almost got run over by the HD trying to roll it down the ramp), but it does seem strange to me that the theft would happen that quickly after delivery.

Happy to hear thoughts/other suggestions/commiserations.

All the best to all of you.

10-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Does the underground garage have any security cameras? How would strangers gain access?

10-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Does the underground garage have any security cameras? How would strangers gain access?

Good questions:
Regarding access to the complex...There are 3 entrances, only 1 of which has a guard booth. Residents have a clicker to open the entry gate although there is nothing to stop a second vehicle from following in before the gate closes. On the way out, the gates open automatically when you pull up.

Regarding cameras...No cameras anywhere in the joint. This was particularly surprising to me when taken with the police officer's comment that this was not the first time he had been to Newport Bluffs to write up a stolen bike. I mean...how tough would it be to install a camera at each of the gates?

Krzysztof Dudzi
10-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Damn !!!

Fu..ing thiefs:bond::gunner:

I was wondering about something ?! Is your thiefs are stupid ? I mean,many of Americans have one or more guns in his house.
Here in Poland only sometimes people have some AK47 but our thiefs knows what will happend with them after they stole some motorcycles (especialy Aprilia :) ).

"Deep forest,deeper earth and one problem less":cheers:

Find these f....rs !!!

10-20-2008, 12:12 AM
PICS PICS PICS, im sure their already parted out, but just to be safe, lots of bikes are taken from SF and LA and sold off in smaller towns...

10-20-2008, 01:39 AM
That sounds like an inside job to me and based on the comment the cop made about your bike not being the only one.....probably the same people. As painful as it must be, will your insurance cover the whole amount? If not maybe you can get the difference in $ from the complex and their insurance company. I am not suggesting that money will completely relieve the pain but if you can get total cash value from your insurance and the "so called" secure community; Get the check and move on. Here in NY I have rarely (if ever) heard of a successful recovery of a motorcycle. That sucks, I hope everything works out

10-20-2008, 11:44 PM
thanks eazaudio...i'm still getting over it. i have been keeping an eye out on ebay & craigslist for bits o' my babies, but no luck yet. could well be an inside job, but more likely with the moving company. the more i think about this, the more i get suspicious. they did have access to the keys for two weeks. i raised this possibility with the insurance investigator who assured me that they do keep an eye out for a trend of motorcycle thefts at a given shipper. good suggestion on the pix. here goes...

10-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Am I wrong to suspect the 2 seemingly random guys who showed up with the Atlas Van Lines truck (in their own vehicle) to help unload?

Hell no! I'd be asking Atlas flat out WTF those two guys were doing there.

Sorry about your loss. That sucks!

10-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Welcome to So. Cal. (coming from a New Englander)
Sorry about your loss.
It seems that it WAS an inside job.

Get the insurance money.....quickly..and then get a new ride....
There are a LOT of APE riders here in Orange County.

Or you can pick up this ride and start enjoying the nice weather again.

11-01-2008, 10:43 PM
I was wondering why people were staring at my bike so much lately...they must have thought I was the thief... j/k.

I have the same bike, but all of our mods are different.

I'm sorry that this happened and I will be sure to keep a lookout for your bike. :micah:

11-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Sounds to me like it was an inside job.
They helped you unload so they could easily see you leave and no that no wife or room mate helped. Probably waited until you left and knew they had the whole day.
Think back to whether or not they asked about where you worked or what you did.
Contact the Auto Theft Detective that ultimately got your report and ask him to give the other people in the complex your phone number and ask them to call you. If they also had a theft after a delivery then you may have done the detectives work for him. Worth a shot.

FYI a lot of portable camera's are wireless and battery powered. Depending on how far away your place is from the parking garage and how much concrete their is may determine if it would be feasible for you to go that route or not.
Most PC recording software can be set to only record data when movement in a particular zone is detected. The size of that zone is up to you and your settings.

Good luck with your endeavor and I hope that you enjoy California. I'm a 4th generation native and left after 35 years. Too much traffic, crime, smog, taxes and other BS fees for me.

12-06-2008, 08:47 PM
I live in So Cal too and have had a few bikes stolen, but found them every time. I was able to weed out the logical thief every time. I suggest you follow-up with the shipping company. Also, if you just focus on your area intensely, something will come to you - run with it. We're all pissed for you. When I caught the guy that stole one of my RZs, I was worried that I might be in a lot of trouble, because I did nearly kill him. I did a Charles Bronsen on him and got carried away.

RZ Rob

12-13-2008, 11:59 AM
sorry for your loss man

where in NH you from, grew up there myself