PDA

View Full Version : Tyre choice - Strada...very confused!!

J1mbo
08-31-2008, 03:58 AM
Hi all

Hoping for a bit of advice.....I've got an '06 Strada that I'm kitting out for a bit of a long ride...from Sydney to London. I'm on the tyres it comes with at the moment and they should last me until I leave Australia, but I need to get something a little less road focussed from then onwards.

From what I can gather, i'm likely to spend around 80% of the time on what passes for tarmac in Asia, but it can be pretty rough in places. When I am off road, its likely to be gravel tracks etc.

I guess I'm looking for something that is a compromise - I don't want the bike to be rubbish on tarmac, but need it to be better suited to poor road conditions than it is now.

I haven't got a clue where to start!!!

Thanks in advance

J

scorpio
08-31-2008, 10:46 AM
Not much of a choice since you have 17" front rim. Most front on/off tires are for 19 or 21" rims. Try Pirelli MT60, Avon Distanzia or Mitas E-07.

keithc
08-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Definitely the Avon Distanza's. I used to use them on my MZ 660 Street Moto and they gave loads of grip on Tarmac, and went to bad off road as long as the mud didn't get to deep.
The MZ came fitted with MT60's from new. Didn't rate them compared to the Avons for any type of use.

Keith

DonFanatico
08-31-2008, 01:55 PM
Hi all

Hoping for a bit of advice.....I've got an '06 Strada that I'm kitting out for a bit of a long ride...from Sydney to London. I'm on the tyres it comes with at the moment and they should last me until I leave Australia, but I need to get something a little less road focussed from then onwards.

From what I can gather, i'm likely to spend around 80% of the time on what passes for tarmac in Asia, but it can be pretty rough in places. When I am off road, its likely to be gravel tracks etc.

I guess I'm looking for something that is a compromise - I don't want the bike to be rubbish on tarmac, but need it to be better suited to poor road conditions than it is now.

I haven't got a clue where to start!!!

Thanks in advance

J
Don't know about tires but man, Sydney to London, congrats on that.

A bit lik these guys.
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/forwood/

J1mbo
09-06-2008, 02:59 AM
I have heard of those guys before - thats quite a few places they've been!!

Cheers for the advice on the tyres...much apprecaited.

J