PDA

View Full Version : New shiver problem?

Iand
07-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Think i may have uncovered a new problem with our beloved shivers.
Both the clutch fluid reservoir and brake fluid reservoir lids appear to be weeping fluid, both started about the same time.

It may be that the pressure on my pressure washer is a bit high though as both started at the same time a few days after i washed the bike!?!?

Tifftiff
07-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Think I've got the same problem, after every ride there's a small amount of fluid weeping from the clutch and brake cylinders. My bike has done 1800 miles and been washed many a time but have only just noticed it these last few days.:WTF:

Any ideas anybody?

Iand
07-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Think I've got the same problem, after every ride there's a small amount of fluid weeping from the clutch and brake cylinders. My bike has done 1800 miles and been washed many a time but have only just noticed it these last few days.:WTF:

Any ideas anybody?

mines just coming up to 1200 miles, glad its not just me!
dealers ordering some new gaskets for me under warranty so we'll see if it happens again.

nostatic
07-18-2008, 11:16 AM
You use a high pressure washer on the bike?

I barely spray the bars/cluster area and cover the keyhole with a piece of tape.

Sorry, haven't seen any weeping from the reservoirs.

samo
07-18-2008, 11:21 AM
4000 miles and no weeping,
hope you get it sorted:)

:cheers: steve.

Iand
07-18-2008, 11:26 AM
You use a high pressure washer on the bike?

I barely spray the bars/cluster area and cover the keyhole with a piece of tape.

Sorry, haven't seen any weeping from the reservoirs.

yeah always have on every bike i've had and never had a problem before?

catch2otwooo
07-18-2008, 11:37 AM
no weeping here

nostatic
07-18-2008, 12:10 PM
yeah always have on every bike i've had and never had a problem before?

ever had an Italian one? Or an old MG? ;)

I am pretty cautious when I wash and avoid much water up in the "business" end of the electronics. I don't worry about riding in the raid, but given the often "creative" design of the electrics on these bikes I figure discretion is the better part of valor.

burty
07-18-2008, 01:56 PM
I've spotted this on mine in the last couple of days.

I did wonder if it's a consequence of the temperature.

I never use a pressure washer BTW.

Grandia
07-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Surely this is solved by replacing the lids by these for only 60 euro each :kidding:
http://194.178.160.219/motoweb/images/show/2965/web

Haven't noticed any leaks here

ryonlisaadcock
07-18-2008, 04:07 PM
It is a wonder about new bikes. Pressure washing your bike should have absolutely no effect on brake components. Unless you are using a 4,000 psi gun and 5 gallons per minute.

People always freek out when I pressure wash my car engines. I always say, if you run your car and pressure wash your engine at the same time and something bad happens than something is really wrong.

In fact, I found a car coil that was arcing one time because it was wet. It had a big crack in it. All electronic components should be sealed due to rain and other items like pressure washing.

I am sure your dealership will take the time and make sure things are right.

Ryon

ShiverMan
07-18-2008, 04:50 PM
mines just coming up to 1200 miles, glad its not just me!
dealers ordering some new gaskets for me under warranty so we'll see if it happens again.

Hi Ian. I'm just at 1200 miles as well and mine started to leak about 3 weeks ago. I went over to our dealer and Heather scribbled down on a pretty full pad that I want the screen, circlips and have leaky cylinders and said she would order them all and let me know when they were in. I wasn't convinced she would remember and I haven't heard anything.

They do seem to have stopped leaking at the moment so I am not too desperate to chase her but I do get the feeling that unless I go over there again and ask what is going on it won't happen.

And no I never power wash the bike - just soap, water and a hose.
Shiverman

makrand
07-18-2008, 04:54 PM
It's been mentioned before.
Mine do too, or at least the brake one. It has since I bought it but very very little and it doesn't seem to matter.

My mechanic noticed it the last time I was up but didn't seem too concerned.

It seems Aprilia don't know how to do gaskets properly.

burty
07-18-2008, 05:09 PM
It is a wonder about new bikes. Pressure washing your bike should have absolutely no effect on brake components. Unless you are using a 4,000 psi gun and 5 gallons per minute.

People always freek out when I pressure wash my car engines. I always say, if you run your car and pressure wash your engine at the same time and something bad happens than something is really wrong.

In fact, I found a car coil that was arcing one time because it was wet. It had a big crack in it. All electronic components should be sealed due to rain and other items like pressure washing.

I am sure your dealership will take the time and make sure things are right.

Ryon

Many seals are designed to keep lubricants in under relatively low pressure, not highly pressurised water jets out.

Some years ago one of the workshops I worked at had a a problem with quite a few BMW bikes where the gearboxes had filled up with water on bikes that were pressure washed regularly.

Personally I think pressure washing is completely un-neccesary, a decent soaking with water is sufficient, and degreaser for those greasy areas.

Sike
07-18-2008, 05:43 PM
I wouldn't pressure wash any bike, other than maybe a dirtbike, and even then I would have it on a low setting. Most of the electronics are sealed, yes, but only toward water that is just basically sitting there. I ran a pressure washer during high school, working at a school bus shop. Almost every person that ran one for the first time ended up with a motor that wouldn't start and some pissed off mechanics (they hadn't listened about where not to spray).

Steve

rsvdave
07-18-2008, 10:20 PM
i pressure wash everything i own. period. All of your latest atv's and some motocross bikes are now fuel injected. try cleaning one of those with just garden hose after a long days ride. pressure washer + common sense= no problems:)

Dragster pilota
07-19-2008, 04:26 AM
iand in da house:
Both the clutch fluid reservoir and brake fluid reservoir lids appear to be weeping fluid

We have noticed that on a couple of Shiver we have had in for service and today I did the 1000km service (at 1500km) on my Shiver and for the hell of it I checked with a screwdriver and all the screws were quite loose so I guess it's a good deal to go over nuts & bolts every now and then. A alos checked the bolts on the clutch cover and water pump and all of those were also loose, I have had one in here where the bolts were soo loose it started to leak out oil, go over and check those as well.....

I'm a bit sceptical to the new longer service intervalls Aprilia has started with on most bikes, yes the RSV Mille got a larger oil filter to cope with it and todays oils can handle much abuse but IMHO a bike does verry seldom see daily use year around (at least not here in Sweden) and you get condensation in the oil & fuel so a 20.000km service interval is IMHO opinion way to long, before Aprilia had service every 4000 or 6000km depending on bike (after the first at 1000km) and my Shiver will get oil & filter change every 5000km from now on, I guess one more time before I sell it this fall to make room for the new 1200cc Shiver next year, maybe....

DP says: All our own & our customers bikes get Agip oils.....

makrand
07-19-2008, 05:59 AM
Me too.
Oil every 5000 and service every 10.

Apart from anything else I want new plugs every ten.

=WOLFIE=
07-19-2008, 06:06 AM
ya, i agree with Makka, 5000 for the fluid change, i was kinda shocked at the services being 12000 miles.
and as yet, no weeping from the M/C tops.

makrand
07-19-2008, 06:08 AM
I'm gonna check my bolts tomorrow am.

Yup, loose screws on the leaking one.
I think it was getting slowly worse and now I get the feeling my brakes are stronger after tightening it up.

That's gonna have to be regular maintenance.

catch2otwooo
07-27-2008, 07:25 PM
well i thought you guys were talking out of your ass on this weeping resevoir problem and lo and behold today after a hard ride, my clutch resi is weeping out of the corner screw closest to the middle. eh stupid problems. i guess another problem to mention to the dealer when i call them with trouble codes tuesday. so consensus is that its loose bolts? i havnt had time to check it yet.

Dactyl
07-27-2008, 11:37 PM
Mine started weeping about two weeks ago. I did tighten them but it hasn't made a difference...

Sike
07-27-2008, 11:55 PM
For those of you who don't know it, brake fluid instantly goes through paint, so keep a close watch on it.

And, I'll be checking mine in the morning.

Later, Steve

catch2otwooo
07-28-2008, 07:35 PM
checked the screws this morning, all were very tight. tight to the point where im afraid ill strip them if i turn any harder. wiped it clean, rode to work. on the way home, it weeped a bit and then the brake resi started too.

atatter
07-28-2008, 08:43 PM
I dont get this. I haven't noticed mine weeping but surely as long as it is only slight there should be no major issues right? Also can you tell me if certain weather or riding conditions are causing the res to weep? thanks

Sike
07-28-2008, 11:10 PM
I dont get this. I haven't noticed mine weeping but surely as long as it is only slight there should be no major issues right? Also can you tell me if certain weather or riding conditions are causing the res to weep? thanks

As long as the cause of the weeping doesn't let air back into the system (recent experience with my ZX10), then it would take a long time for enough fluid to leave the system to cause a problem, but be careful. However, the weeping could make for a drip, and the brake fluid will instantly eat the paint it hits.

Later, Steve

atatter
07-29-2008, 06:14 PM
That makes sense thanks Steve I will keep an eye out anyway

catch2otwooo
07-29-2008, 06:55 PM
atatter: you asked if the slight weep was a problem or not,

well on some of the bigger bikes that use the cup type resis, you may have noticed that they might have a sweat band around them. this sweat band is used to absorb weeping fluids. however, these fluids usually weep under extreme conditions i.e. racing. in these conditions, as the rider is usually tucked behind the windscreen, the weeping fluid is wicked up by the air flow onto the riders face shield. so the bands are there to soak it up. this weeping is caused by fluids getting hot and seeping through the seal in the cap.

but in my case, may differ from others, i was riding at a spirited pace but in my opinion not fast enough to cause any kind of fluid expansion great enough to break the seal on the resi cap. also my brake didnt start weeping till the day after on my way to work, def not very spirited. so i believe the problem lies elsewhere.

kedzis
06-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Few days ago i also noticed weeping fluid from front brake reservoir..

keithc
06-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Given the delicate nature of the electronics on these bike I would deffinatly not use a pressure washer on them. Plus of course the manual advises aganst direct jets of water being used on the bike.
As sated many oil and grease seals are not designed to take high pressure water, and bearings may fail because of htis, ie wheel and suspension bearings are particularly prone to this type of damage.

Keith C

slartibardfast
06-19-2009, 01:38 PM
both mine leak, and in my dealers showroom their is a brand new black shiver with zero miles and a weeping brake cylinder.

blange
06-22-2009, 07:43 AM
Few days ago i also noticed weeping fluid from front brake reservoir..

Open the resevoice and whipe of the gasket. I had the same issue with my clutch, and whiping it of made the diff.

dk_dorso
06-22-2009, 07:54 AM
both mine leak, and in my dealers showroom their is a brand new black shiver with zero miles and a weeping brake cylinder.

The best explanation so far came from bonehead... i quote "its italian, its crying for mamma"... that pretty much settled it for me, and i stopped caring about the weeping :)

Athenean
06-25-2009, 06:38 PM
It is a fairly common problem and becomes worse at high speeds.

If tightening the screws and cleaning does not work, try this:

There is a small groove on the lid. Try carefully to deepen it just a little, in such way that the gasket does not seal the groove. The ambient air must supplied above the gasket and not from below.
That was the solution in my case. Just be careful not to "dig" the groove to much.

FlorenZ
06-26-2009, 11:25 AM
I noticed that my brake container is seeping as well.. Not that clutch so far. I need to call the dealer and have them warranty that for me!

saetron
06-28-2009, 10:21 AM
happens to me as well...but the amount of leakage...is small..i check it dailly though...

Tripyn69
07-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Old post I know, over the last fews day my DD has started weeping from both cylinders or at least enough to concern me. My question is how many others are just dealing with it, does a new gasket resolve the issue and/or is this something Aprilia can fix under warranty?

shekel
07-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Short answer is yes - it can be fixed under warranty. :)

fabbio
10-11-2012, 02:47 AM
Just another Shiver weeping from both cylinders here. Both lids were replaced under warranty. Took my bike home and...surprise: still weeping after replacement!!! :-( ?????!!!

Dierick
10-11-2012, 04:15 AM
it is not a new problem, here in Belgium a known problem.

I've also had my shiver 2008, all first shivers have had this problem until 2009. From 2010 the rempot and clutch cover revised and changed from sealing system. So I just ordered the new type cover for only 50 € for 2, and got after 1 year still no sweat more.

fabbio
10-11-2012, 04:36 AM
yes but, being in 2012, they should have now installed revised lids in my Shiver, so I don't get why still weeping...!
May I recognize revised lids by opening them and look inside? What the difference?

fordlatch41
10-11-2012, 03:36 PM
It's a well known fault on shivers mine did it and I got two plastic parts fitted at my dealer under warranty, these plastic plates force the caps onto the rubber seals further and eliminate the problem.

25PSi
10-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Very old problem. Nothing major.

Disassemble, clean seals and around, assemble. If that does not help replace the lids. Easy ;) Cleaning fixed mine long ago and it has not wept since.