PDA

View Full Version : Going from a Monster 620 to an 08 Busa..

BigMille
05-23-2008, 12:19 AM
So I have this friend (probably soon to be "had") who called me to ask my opinion of a certain dealership here in C-bus. When I asked what he was up to, he said he was looking at an 08 Busa.

The monster is his first bike and apparently he wants to go straight for the Busa.

60 horses to 180.....what could happen..

Anyone else think that has disaster written all over it?

sperz1
05-23-2008, 12:32 AM
That's quite a jump. Hope he doesn't bin it.

superlight825
05-23-2008, 03:27 AM
Hell, I have seen people start at Busa's, and I have seen damn good riders on little Monsters, but, kind of makes me ask :WTF:

As long as he keep the throttle in check, and doesn't thing that he can go around a tight corner like he could on the M620 he should be alright.

Soot
05-23-2008, 05:52 AM
Sounds like trouble to me:eek:

jandrade
05-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Depends on the friend, i downsized to a monster cus i liked the small size and it was so easy to throw around. I could handle a Busa, but i would never get one. Why does he want a Busa? A monster to a Busa maybe dangerous, but its also very odd. Hed be better served with a rsv mille

Steffman
05-23-2008, 07:30 AM
Shouldn't be a problem if he understands fully what a bike like that is capable of, and starts off easily. But again, you don't get a busa to take it easy...

BigMille
05-24-2008, 02:05 PM
I think he simply wants a faster baike than I have. Trouble is, I have been ridding for 9 years, he has been ridding for 1...

jandrade
05-24-2008, 02:12 PM
We all have friends like that...they usually crash and give up the sport, sad but true

Kid A
05-24-2008, 05:45 PM
I was at a bicycle shop and pulled up on my RSVR. Kid working there asked about it and said he wanted to get a bike.

I asked him what he was looking to ride and he told me a Busa' with a turbo. This kid had never ridden before! I warned him in a polite way that it seemed kinda ridiculous to me, and even a 600 should be more motor than he could take advantage of, but he wanted nothing to do with hearing that. I also told him cornering is where the skill is, and a big bike like that is better for cruising/highway type riding, a smaller bike would actually be more fun to ride. Said he 'saw' a turbo Busa and it sounded so cool, he just wanted to do fast highway riding at night. No Joke.

It really blows my mind how many motorcycle riders & 'want to be' riders just don't get it at all. I'd say in the 8 years I've been riding I've only known a few that 'get it'. What it's all about, the bikes, the sport, the respect, the skills, etc... Not to say I'm a good rider, but I understand it, and live for it, and all that motorcycling is about. I've even been in Dealerships where the employees refer to sport bikes as 'Crotch-Rockets"

:WTF: is wrong with people? Wake up, open your eyes and ears, get in or get out!:soap:

ride200mi
05-27-2008, 04:44 PM
We all have friends like that...they usually crash and give up the sport, sad but true
You got that right....:plus:

burntout
05-29-2008, 07:17 AM
t'other day a chap came up and asked me about my Ape when I was filling her up. Said he wanted to get into riding and asked me what I recommended...he mentioned he was thinking about getting a 400 first and building up.....clearly I told him this is the best thing he could do and even took the time to recommend some based on first hand experience in my younger days (being an old hagged 25 now!).

He took it all well and thankfully had his head screwed on.

It's good to see there are still people out there with a little common sense.

Of course, another key factor is insuring the thing which is why i'd prefer to start small and get cheap no claims bonus before moving up each year.

Not sure how your mate's gonna get one, but I dont know how he rides at the moment. I see a lot of older guys on Blackbirds (still fucking pokey for their age) and no doubt they are born agains but it all comes down to keep the throttle hand in check.

Get him on an advanced riding course and a gixxer 750 I reckon.

burntout
05-29-2008, 07:18 AM
It really blows my mind how many motorcycle riders & 'want to be' riders just don't get it at all. I'd say in the 8 years I've been riding I've only known a few that 'get it'. What it's all about, the bikes, the sport, the respect, the skills, etc... Not to say I'm a good rider, but I understand it, and live for it, and all that motorcycling is about. I've even been in Dealerships where the employees refer to sport bikes as 'Crotch-Rockets"

:WTF: is wrong with people? Wake up, open your eyes and ears, get in or get out!:soap:

:plus: btw!

vito
05-29-2008, 08:24 AM
Depends on the friend, i downsized to a monster cus i liked the small size and it was so easy to throw around. I could handle a Busa, but i would never get one. Why does he want a Busa? A monster to a Busa maybe dangerous, but its also very odd. Hed be better served with a rsv mille

totally depends on the rider. my first bike was a 650 back in the 1960's (see avatar:D) when 650's were the big bikes.

a bad rider can get into trouble on any size bike.

rx7tt95
05-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Well Big M, at least your friend started on the right bike so there's a hair of hope for him. I started out on an FZR600 back in 90 and I don't know what it is with today's kids and no sense of fear, but I was scared sh*tless my first time on the bike, not to mention the following few months. And that was a SLOW bike. "Back then" of course, it wasn't a good starter bike with 88 monster hp in a light 400lb. package, LOL.

The best thing you can really do is introduce him to a few other bikes out there that aren't quite as serious as the Busa but maybe a bit more desirable in the trick department. He won't go for a Tuono huh? In the end, he'll either see the light or do what he wants to. Just get seriously mad at him the first time he does something stupid. Maybe he'll get the picture. Just threaten to squash him. You're a big guy :)

go_modem_go
05-30-2008, 01:50 PM
I think he simply wants a faster baike than I have. Trouble is, I have been ridding for 9 years, he has been ridding for 1...

Even after 20hrs of training, and a $2000 licence, he'd still be confined to a restricted 34hp bike for another year over here in Europe.

And that's a good thing.

As a postive trade-off to all this regulation, there are no general speed limits on highways here - go as fast as you want, conditions permitting of course.

And yet, we still have one of the lowest accident rates in Europe in the state where I live, both for bikes and cars - despite the highest traffic density! :D

We call these noobs on Busas "organ donors".

Even after 3 years on a 50hp bike, I wasn't ready to handle the Aprilia Falco's capability.

For a year, I had more fun on my old Belgarda than on the powerful Prilla - because I could ride it to the limit.

Of course, that changed during the 2nd season on my large bike - the small Belgarda has been sitting unused in the yard ever since :D

bbluemm
05-30-2008, 11:04 PM
If your friend is married, tell him to make sure he has a minimum 500K life insurance policy for his wife. If he's not married, make sure you buy life insurance for him with you as the beneficiary, you can pick the coverage amount. Come to think about it, if he does get the busa, I want to take out an insurance policy on him!