PDA

View Full Version : Any updates on that freaking leaky oil tank?

moomba
05-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Mine started leaking last week and since my bike is not under warranty anymore, I either have to get it replaced with a stock unit (about $300) or get it brazed locally. Any aftermarket units available yet?

Thanks...

kzmille
05-09-2008, 05:36 PM
...Any aftermarket units available yet?

I wouldn't hold your breath for anything from the aftermarket. I think the best solution is to find a welder skilled at brazing.

badmotorscooter
05-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Mine started leaking last week and since my bike is not under warranty anymore, I either have to get it replaced with a stock unit (about $300) or get it brazed locally. Any aftermarket units available yet?

Thanks...

Just relax... I used JB Weld until I got mine replaced under warranty. It worked great. Don't sweat it too much; I did, and now I find that it was not worth it. I'm sure if you get it brazed this winter, it will suit its purpose just fine.

moomba
05-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Just relax... I used JB Weld until I got mine replaced under warranty. It worked great. Don't sweat it too much; I did, and now I find that it was not worth it. I'm sure if you get it brazed this winter, it will suit its purpose just fine.

As mention, the warranty has expired so I'll have to pony up the cash for a new one (I don't feel like doing that if the new piece might just crack again) or get it brazed.

There is no "winter" here in NorCal...we ride year round so it's frustrating when I can't ride every week. :( Need to get it fixed quickly so that I can get back on the road again. The weather has been gorgeous.

Elridor
05-10-2008, 10:15 AM
As mention, the warranty has expired so I'll have to pony up the cash for a new one (I don't feel like doing that if the new piece might just crack again) or get it brazed.

There is no "winter" here in NorCal...we ride year round so it's frustrating when I can't ride every week. :( Need to get it fixed quickly so that I can get back on the road again. The weather has been gorgeous.

Get it brazed and forget about it

I had mine brazed on the 3 attaching points and around the draining hole. Plus, 2 thin metal plates were brazed to add protection. One on the inside where the tank touches the casing and a wider one on the outside where the tanks most commonly leak. I had the job done in a radiator repair shop for 62$:)

Don't forget to change the factory clamps around the hoses for better ones while your at it.

I have good faith it should resolve this issue!

Oh and... I didn't understand there were anything different on the newer tank. So no reason to wait on on replacement one for me...

Bruno79
05-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Same happen to me some time ago, i got it brazed and painted black (posted some pics around here in the forum). Cheap and relliable as a new oil tank, i think.

Post some pics from where its carcked when you decide to take it off.

Most time is in the bracket at the back, and where it rubs the fairing.

:cheers: