PDA

View Full Version : Q for UK Riders

MASHMAN
05-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Hi all. I still have some cash and an address in the UK and have the odd visitors coming over throughout the year to deliver me some goodies. I think my next buy needs to be the right springs for my weight. Unfortunately wherever I go online (where I have to do most of my shopping) they may well sell the springs, but they don't offer an option for specifying the weight of the rider to get the correct spring rate etc...

Any of you UK chaps found a decent UK site/part shop (online or otherwise) that you'd recommend and have dealt with along the above lines...

Cheers

Mash

Morgan
05-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Why would you want to buy it in the UK?

You'd only get hit for the added VAT on top.

Order directly from Germany or Italy maybe? There's a few on-line companies that sell Aprilia parts, although I've never needed any since my Factory is really reliable ;)

Cajun
05-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Mashman

contact robert taylor he will often to an exchange thing with springs.

and often has second hand springs in stock also

And being NZ ohlins importer, knows ins and outs of things,

He made us a custom ohlins shock to lower the seat height for the misses (we had standard sach which isn't rebuildable)

MASHMAN
05-07-2008, 10:00 PM
I completely forgot about the rest of Europe taking Switch... Although there's exchange rate charges, card usage charges etc... to consider too when buying abroad (otherwise i'd get everything from AF1 and send it to the UK). If I get things from the UK and my friends and family bring them over I don't have to pay the import tax here too... As tight fisted as that sounds, I don't have any spare cash to throw around over here... hence tapping the UK funds...

I did think about Robert Taylor and did do quite a lot of reading about the guy. He's very much a way beyond respected suspension guru from what i've read. I suppose there's no harm in having a word... again though that'll end up using my non existant NZ dollar... So if ya'd like to help out, go by the tail piece off of TM would ya :bump::bump:

Cajun
05-07-2008, 11:36 PM
I did think about Robert Taylor and did do quite a lot of reading about the guy. He's very much a way beyond respected suspension guru from what i've read. I suppose there's no harm in having a word... again though that'll end up using my non existant NZ dollar... So if ya'd like to help out, go by the tail piece off of TM would ya :bump::bump:

Robert even has a man in wellington that does work for him he is on kiwibiker at TDC. i know a couple of race friends had work done by him.

Not after a tail piece wouldn't mind a couple of unmarked lower fairing tho.

MASHMAN
05-08-2008, 12:24 AM
Thanks Cajun... I've posted up on Kiwibiker to get an idea of cost. Might be able to transfer some money across if it's not too bad EEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!! Til then i'll keep lookin allllll over t'internet

Cajun
05-08-2008, 01:17 AM
Thanks Cajun... I've posted up on Kiwibiker to get an idea of cost. Might be able to transfer some money across if it's not too bad EEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!! Til then i'll keep lookin allllll over t'internet

easist way is ring robert direct (but he will see ya post anyway)

But didn't relise you were after the front also, but he be able to sort something out, might be front end just needs a good service.

MASHMAN
05-08-2008, 01:33 AM
Yeah i'm pretty sure the front does need a service (18500k's ooops), so I thought I might take the steps of getting springs set for my weight at the same time, perhaps some internals if I can string a few bucks together. I'm not too worried about the rear as it's a new shock with 500 - 1000k's on it, I just need it resprung for my weight again. I'm in no great rush, still got discs and rear shock to get back under warranty, should Aprilia ever get back to the dealer about them and then i'll be able to sell the new, albeit sachs shock hopefully, and start raising some doe... thanks for the help Cajun...

Cajun
05-08-2008, 01:44 AM
Yeah i'm pretty sure the front does need a service (18500k's ooops), so I thought I might take the steps of getting springs set for my weight at the same time, perhaps some internals if I can string a few bucks together. I'm not too worried about the rear as it's a new shock with 500 - 1000k's on it, I just need it resprung for my weight again. I'm in no great rush, still got discs and rear shock to get back under warranty, should Aprilia ever get back to the dealer about them and then i'll be able to sell the new, albeit sachs shock hopefully, and start raising some doe... thanks for the help Cajun...

Yeha robert be able to the ohlins rear pretty cheaply, with new spring, if he has one to suit you in stock.

ANd even if you give front a service, and do springs later stage could be a good improvement

spoonz
05-08-2008, 09:33 AM
I got my spring from Kais who are Ohlins dealers or try Mark at MH racing.

You will need to ring or email as most don't list the part for sale on their sites.

MASHMAN
05-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Cheers Spoonz, it does indeed seem that you have to make contact with these people. Having had a quote from Robert Taylor over here and reading his reputation I think the Prila deserves a decent suspension setup, so i'll go for the professional setup with some revalving work both front and back...

Thanks for the suggestions

v8-powered
05-09-2008, 01:33 AM
Also worth trying MC Technics, sure they will ship from the UK...

http://www.mctechnics.co.uk/home.htm