PDA

View Full Version : Triumph Speed Triple

Apeboy
05-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Ok so I got the pleasure of riding a Speed Triple the other day while the owner (A buddy of mine) rode my RSV. It was pretty cool seeing my bike on the road, almost enough to distract me from evaluating the Triumph. So we did a few roll on tests and my RSV left the Triumph for dead. (The 15/42 gearing ROCKS!) This was with him on my bike which is about a 20-30 lb advantage for the Triumph.
The around town function of the bike was very impressive especially how light the steering was. But as soon as you hit 60 MPH and up the wind pushing on your body was terrible. It also a badly adjusted throttle cable that really made it tough to ride hard in corners. The fuel injection did not feel real smooth.
We then changed bikes and hit some switch backs for a few miles and I never saw him again until we were thru them! The RSV is so much fun to ride hard!:cheers:

zx250r
05-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Ok so I got the pleasure of riding a Speed Triple the other day while the owner (A buddy of mine) rode my RSV. It was pretty cool seeing my bike on the road, almost enough to distract me from evaluating the Triumph. So we did a few roll on tests and my RSV left the Triumph for dead. (The 15/42 gearing ROCKS!) This was with him on my bike which is about a 20-30 lb advantage for the Triumph.
The around town function of the bike was very impressive especially how light the steering was. But as soon as you hit 60 MPH and up the wind pushing on your body was terrible. It also a badly adjusted throttle cable that really made it tough to ride hard in corners. The fuel injection did not feel real smooth.
We then changed bikes and hit some switch backs for a few miles and I never saw him again until we were thru them! The RSV is so much fun to ride hard!:cheers:

oh i love the triple...might be my next bike. they are coming out with a middleweight version that might fit the bill.

ThisEndUp
05-06-2008, 08:16 PM
A properly set up Triple kicks ass.

'Great bike....If I had the $$ and the wife could deal with yet another bike........

Gary C
05-07-2008, 03:02 AM
Yep - I'll go along with that. Especially if you ditch the crappy budget suspension (I went with Ohlins rear and fork internals).

The Trumpet then metamorphosises from OK to surprisingly good in the handling department.

The engine is rock solid, too, and the smoothest I've ever experienced. I did 20,000 hard miles on mine, mainly in the Alps/Pyrenees/Europe, and it never missed a beat.

It's a different animal to the Ape, naturally, but for general hooning around and fun riding it's up there at the top of the tree.

PeterM
05-07-2008, 03:14 AM
oh i love the triple...might be my next bike. they are coming out with a middleweight version that might fit the bill.

They already have, the Street Triple. I believe even in the UK there is a 4 month waiting list.

Apeboy
05-07-2008, 06:54 AM
Yep - I'll go along with that. Especially if you ditch the crappy budget suspension (I went with Ohlins rear and fork internals).

The Trumpet then metamorphosises from OK to surprisingly good in the handling department.

The engine is rock solid, too, and the smoothest I've ever experienced. I did 20,000 hard miles on mine, mainly in the Alps/Pyrenees/Europe, and it never missed a beat.

It's a different animal to the Ape, naturally, but for general hooning around and fun riding it's up there at the top of the tree.

Yes some good suspension parts would definately make it a nicer corner carver. I do agree with the engines smoothness too. Its funny how many people think it's ugly but thats what I like about it

duc slayer
05-07-2008, 08:07 PM
I love how it wheelieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee's forever :D