PDA

View Full Version : Nevada classic woes

Ribbit
04-30-2008, 07:35 AM
I am hoping someone can help me out here...

My wife is currently working several hundred miles away from me and has her bike with her, Nevada Classic 750.

She tried to ride her bike after winter storage and found a dead battery, seems like she hadn't put the battery tender on it like I told her to do.

well, no worries, she put it on the charger only to find that it had given up the ghost and would not ever reach full charge.

purchased a new battery, charged it, installed it and bike was happy...for 20 miles. then the low fuel light came on, the EFI light and it died. It would not even crank over.

Figuring it was one of those oddball bad from the get go batteries, she replaced the battery again.

long story shortened, same result. it has killed another battery.

So, is this a symptom that makes anyone go, "oh yeah, thats not uncommon it's the alternator/generator/brainbox/shorted wire/whatever"?

my thought is a bad alt/gen (not sure what the bike actually has)

any help is greatly appreciated.

RossGuzzi
04-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Wires are not my best subject, but I would be checking the charge curcuit. Things like bad connections to starter, My aprilia had a rusty connection to the starter. Pull the connectors and clean and spray elecrtrical stuff in them.(here I use INOX)
Good luck!

RZRob
04-30-2008, 10:25 PM
OK, perhaps I'm not being fair to your wife, but I support dealers often (non-MC business) and am often surprised at the mistakes they can make or the misinterpretations of instructions leading to errors. If only you could know what all was done (everything) between now and the last time you saw the bike. I'd be suspecting some type of short that might be obvious to some, but not to someone that may be venturing into unchartered waters.

RZ Rob

RZ Rob

JohnG.
05-02-2008, 04:50 AM
Wires are not my best subject, but I would be checking the charge curcuit. Things like bad connections to starter, My aprilia had a rusty connection to the starter. Pull the connectors and clean and spray elecrtrical stuff in them.(here I use INOX)
Good luck!

Yup,I go over my bike with WD40,every few months or so...:happy: