PDA

View Full Version : Clunking Upon Take Off

noskills
04-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Hey guys,

I have an issue with my 2004 RSV. If im at a stop, engage first gear and release the clutch, the bike takes off perfectly, but I get this clunk and like a hard surge from the bike. Now, from what I can tell, it does not do this as much when the bike is cold, it only seems to happen the more i ride it and the hotter it gets. This does not happen in any other gear, and will not happen if the bike is in first and already rolling. It will only happen from a complete stop. I have already replaced the chain but the problem is still there. What else should i look for? Im thinking cush drive rubbers? How can I check to see if they are worn? Anything else you might be able to think of? Bike has about 20k on it.

Thanks!

amauri
04-22-2008, 09:15 AM
If you have the cast Brembo wheels, sounds like the cush hub mounting screws are loose.
Take the wheel off, pull the sprocket carrier off the wheel (it just slides off) and loctite the screws.

vtrandall
04-22-2008, 10:21 AM
If you have the cast Brembo wheels, sounds like the cush hub mounting screws are loose.
Take the wheel off, pull the sprocket carrier off the wheel (it just slides off) and loctite the screws.

Amauri,
Not related to this particular problem but I just wanted to give you a big thanks for all the little tips and fixes that you have offered up here over the years.....
:worship:
:plus:

Shibby!
04-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Amauri,
Not related to this particular problem but I just wanted to give you a big thanks for all the little tips and fixes that you have offered up here over the years.....
:worship:
:plus:

I agree.

But to deal with your problem, look at your sproket and hub like Amauri said. Those bolts are a pain in the ass to torque properly.

If it's not something on the rear wheel, start looking at the engine...

noskills
04-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Awesome! I will check that tonight...As usual you guys rock!:worship:

amauri
04-22-2008, 02:22 PM
I may not have been clear enough, check the bolts that hold the cush hub to the wheel, should be an 8mm allen socket.
While you're at it, also check the sprocket nuts.

Let's hope it's not an engine problem, maybe check the counter sprocket too.

DeBenGuzzi
04-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Its almost rediculous how much is known between noel and amauri I bet individually or between them they could write a apriliology, a blantent rip off of Guzziology but for Aprilia's, I'd buy one :cheers:

Felix Da Cat
04-23-2008, 01:19 AM
I've got to agree that Amauri has been excellent helping others. One day I will buy him a few Capairinhas :cheers:

As for the noise, check that your chain is not touching the exhaust... just a thought :confused:

noskills
04-23-2008, 08:27 AM
Hey Amauri,

I just wanted to thank you for all the great help, but im sad to say that I check all those things you suggested the the problem is still there. I took the rear wheel off yesterday, checked those allan bolts you suggest, checked the sprocket bolts, and the counter nut....they all seem to be fine, nice and tight. There was one weird thing I did notice, but not sure if it is normal or not. The rear wheel spacers seem a little small, meaning that when i put them it, they tend to move around when inside that wheel hub. Im sure this makes no difference, but I thought I would mention it. With all of my other sport bikes, the wheel spacers always seem to fit nice and snug.

So Amauri, what do you think it could be now? Motor? Clutch? I mean, the bike feels great...great power, easy to find neutral, and shifts perfectly. Like I said, the weird thing is that its only when taking off in first from a complete stop...even if i try and feather the clutch to lessen the impact, it seems to make no difference. If it is the motor, what do you think could be causing it? Anyway, thanks again for the help.!

Shibby!
04-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Hey Amauri,

I just wanted to thank you for all the great help, but im sad to say that I check all those things you suggested the the problem is still there. I took the rear wheel off yesterday, checked those allan bolts you suggest, checked the sprocket bolts, and the counter nut....they all seem to be fine, nice and tight. There was one weird thing I did notice, but not sure if it is normal or not. The rear wheel spacers seem a little small, meaning that when i put them it, they tend to move around when inside that wheel hub. Im sure this makes no difference, but I thought I would mention it. With all of my other sport bikes, the wheel spacers always seem to fit nice and snug.

So Amauri, what do you think it could be now? Motor? Clutch? I mean, the bike feels great...great power, easy to find neutral, and shifts perfectly. Like I said, the weird thing is that its only when taking off in first from a complete stop...even if i try and feather the clutch to lessen the impact, it seems to make no difference. If it is the motor, what do you think could be causing it? Anyway, thanks again for the help.!

Can you explain what the "clunk" feels like?

Where can you feel it? Foot pegs?, frame? Bars? Does it have a sound?

There are only so many things it can be. If it's something mechanical, you have the motor, then the sprokets/hubs, wheels. I guess suspension can be under question in the right circumstance too.

You said it does it only certain times. Is there something you are doing specifically or can do to make it every happen every time?

noskills
04-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Hey Shibby...Thanks for responding. Ok, best way i can explain it is...It almost feels like when I let the clutch out in first from a stand still the bike jerks and lurch forward and I feel like a hard bang, and its hard to feel where its from. I mean, i do feel it in the pegs and in my arms. I guess thats a better way to describe it then just a clunk. See, I dont really hear a clunk persay, but i feel like a hard bang. Ok, its almost like driving an automatic car...lets say you take off from a light, and when the car shifts into that first gear you get this sort of bang, where the tranny does not smooth out the shift point. Im getting that same kind of feeling, and only when i release the clutch fully in first from a take off. Sorry for not describing it as best I could, and like i said, no matter how much I feather the clutch, i still get this jerk or hit. I was speaking with someone at Seacoast. He was really friendly and helpful, he told me it might be the clutch or clutch basket that is worn. I have the service manual, and i may crack her open to see if the splines on the clutch basket are worn, or maybe some of the plates are warped. Like I said, other then that the bike is perfect. Im just worried about doing further damage to the bike. One more thing...I did have the swing arm replaced under recall, but i never rode the bike with the old swing arm, so I cant tell if it might be that. Thanks guys.

putty_thing
04-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Could it not be engaging first properly? Perhaps it's only going in when you engage the clutch. My RSV makes a pretty big bang when I knock it down into first from a stop, especially if the engine is spinning above idle.

Does slipping the clutch without pulling off cause the same thing?

Monstaman
04-23-2008, 03:18 PM
If you have a riding buddy or someone with mechanical no how, get them to observe your chain when you take off as I may take up the slack when you move off and if the clutch is causing the issues then the chain may fall slack ever so slightly when you clunk occurs, would possibly be worth slackening off your chain tension a bit to observe more of a slack and crab, just a thought in the process of elimination.

MASHMAN
04-23-2008, 04:00 PM
If you have a riding buddy or someone with mechanical no how, get them to observe your chain when you take off as I may take up the slack when you move off and if the clutch is causing the issues then the chain may fall slack ever so slightly when you clunk occurs, would possibly be worth slackening off your chain tension a bit to observe more of a slack and crab, just a thought in the process of elimination.

:plus::plus::plus:

I was thinking along the same lines. Could be as the chains slack is taken up that the chain jumps and bounces off a chain guard, exhaust or just generally feels like a clunk as the chain tightens...

Holger Danske
04-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Hey Shibby...Thanks for responding. Ok, best way i can explain it is...It almost feels like when I let the clutch out in first from a stand still the bike jerks and lurch forward and I feel like a hard bang, and its hard to feel where its from. I mean, i do feel it in the pegs and in my arms. I guess thats a better way to describe it then just a clunk. See, I dont really hear a clunk persay, but i feel like a hard bang. Ok, its almost like driving an automatic car...lets say you take off from a light, and when the car shifts into that first gear you get this sort of bang, where the tranny does not smooth out the shift point. Im getting that same kind of feeling, and only when i release the clutch fully in first from a take off. Sorry for not describing it as best I could, and like i said, no matter how much I feather the clutch, i still get this jerk or hit. I was speaking with someone at Seacoast. He was really friendly and helpful, he told me it might be the clutch or clutch basket that is worn. I have the service manual, and i may crack her open to see if the splines on the clutch basket are worn, or maybe some of the plates are warped. Like I said, other then that the bike is perfect. Im just worried about doing further damage to the bike. One more thing...I did have the swing arm replaced under recall, but i never rode the bike with the old swing arm, so I cant tell if it might be that. Thanks guys.

I guess its the same problem as I have. My mechanic have told me its nothing to worry about. I know its fucking anoying, but there is nothing to do about it. He told me something like its the starter that hits the pistons ore the other way around cant remember, but it has something to do with the big compression in the cylinders. Don't hang me up on this one, but thats the info I got. According to him Aprilia knows about this issue. It feels and sounds like the pistons going through the hole bike.

Shibby!
04-23-2008, 06:04 PM
I guess its the same problem as I have. My mechanic have told me its nothing to worry about. I know its fucking anoying, but there is nothing to do about it. He told me something like its the starter that hits the pistons ore the other way around cant remember, but it has something to do with the big compression in the cylinders. Don't hang me up on this one, but thats the info I got. According to him Aprilia knows about this issue. It feels and sounds like the pistons going through the hole bike.

Oh, that paints a pretty picture!

I'd get that on paper so when you piston does "go through your whole bike" you can hold it to them!

haha. I don't think it's normal. First I heard of it.

Holger Danske
04-24-2008, 02:32 AM
Oh, that paints a pretty picture!

I'd get that on paper so when you piston does "go through your whole bike" you can hold it to them!

haha. I don't think it's normal. First I heard of it.

hehehe I know. Its sounds insane loud. This is my 4 th. sesson on the bike and have not have had any trouble do to this problem. But ever since I got slipon, airfilter kit, and PCIII on the bike, I dont hear it that often anymore

Flashfish
04-24-2008, 04:51 AM
I have experienced it once but that was on a righthand corner, never the left.

Shibby!
04-24-2008, 09:50 AM
I have experienced it once but that was on a righthand corner, never the left.

I'd be sick if I seen that. . ..