PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Question

Devildog
04-21-2008, 01:11 PM
I've just gotten my 04 Factory and am trying to get it set up for me on the track. The guy I got it from did'nt know what springs were in it, but that it was set up for a 165# rider..................That aint me...lol

I can live with the valving being a little off for now, but what spring would work for around a 225# rider? I have a set of 1.0, although I don't know if they would be right. Doind a simple spring swap and juice level is no problem, however I'm trying to avoid sending the forks to anyone for now.

Same question for the shock.

Thanks

MDRSV
04-21-2008, 01:18 PM
race-tech's website used to have some nice charts on it for weight versus spring rate.

I think thats too much of a difference without a revalve with the new spring though.

Devildog
04-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Yeah, it's a pretty big jump. But I'm just getting my track legs back and until I sell the 02 cash for this will be tight.

It has a wilburs shock now. Evidently they are a real good shock, but I'm not familiar with them. I'm gonna sell it and get a proper ohlins race shock. When I do that the whole shebang will be off to Thermosman or lindeman. Until then I'm just trying to ballpark it.

ckruzel
04-21-2008, 05:48 PM
the race tech chart is handy, plus they sell good springs

burnham
04-21-2008, 07:28 PM
My friend just got his Fatory back from computrack and he's 230 lbs, I'll find out what they put in his bike tomorrow.

derrickhackman
04-21-2008, 07:45 PM
ha, that has to be Alan's bike ... that right Todd? that gives him only a few days before LRRS race #1 :cool:

MDRSV
04-21-2008, 08:36 PM
plus they sell good springs

I have used their springs on ZX-7 and ZX-9 fork builds. I got the straight rate springs....I hate progressive rate springs...

hyperdrive
04-21-2008, 08:41 PM
1.0 springs should be ok for you ....Thermosman is the only way to go...My forks are soooooo nice on my gixxer track bike...little opinionated in my opinion but he knows his st*&

burnham
04-22-2008, 08:06 PM
ha, that has to be Alan's bike ... that right Todd? that gives him only a few days before LRRS race #1 :cool:

Yup, Alan and the rest of the crew are getting ready now. I won't be racing until May, so I'm not sure I'll be there this weekend. My bodywork just got finished today, valve adjustment next week, and probably a trip to computrack the week after. All I can say at this point is I WILL look fast, go slow, and be piss broke. Are you going up?

The paper work from Computrack said 10.5 kg mm fork springs, and 6 x 550 rear spring.

derrickhackman
04-22-2008, 08:17 PM
i am heading up sunday. i am going to scout out the competition :burnout: i have a track day monday and tuesday to get the bike sorted. i need some seat time to get the geometry sorted out and time to get the cobwebs out.

a valve adjustment ... hmmmm, i have 6k miles on the bike and am thinking perhaps i could use an adjustment but someone told me that these valves never really fall out of adjustment... :confused:

you going to be up there sunday? i will look for you and alan :cheers:

StefanJ
04-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Your just doing a trackday??
Just set your sag correctly. Unless your stuff is way way way way off you probably won't notice it for the first time on the track. Take the time to get to feel the track and the bike out first before you try to start cranking on it!!!

I think Traxxion Dynamics might have some information that should help you on their site as well as Race Tech and LE.
Good luck!

burnham
04-23-2008, 05:03 PM
i am heading up sunday. i am going to scout out the competition :burnout: i have a track day monday and tuesday to get the bike sorted. i need some seat time to get the geometry sorted out and time to get the cobwebs out.

a valve adjustment ... hmmmm, i have 6k miles on the bike and am thinking perhaps i could use an adjustment but someone told me that these valves never really fall out of adjustment... :confused:

you going to be up there sunday? i will look for you and alan :cheers:

My bike has closer to 12k miles, and I use the rev limiter quite a bit. I'll let you know if they're out by a lot.

I don't think I'll be there Sunday, but I'm not positive yet.