PDA

View Full Version : Burning Coolant Smell?

noskills
04-17-2008, 08:34 AM
Hey Guys,

When I ride the RSV and come to a stop light I smell what appears to be a slight hint of burning coolant coming from the right side of the bike. I have not yet taken off the faring, I just wanted to know if there are any know issues of specific hoses leaking, or any problem areas that i should look at.

Thanks in advance

Tdawg
04-17-2008, 09:33 AM
the (all) hose clamps aren't that great many replace them.

Have you're brown connectors been rewired? Any charging issues?
brown connectors sometimes melt to the point of putting a whole in the coolant res.

Shibby!
04-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Hey Guys,

When I ride the RSV and come to a stop light I smell what appears to be a slight hint of burning coolant coming from the right side of the bike. I have not yet taken off the faring, I just wanted to know if there are any know issues of specific hoses leaking, or any problem areas that i should look at.

Thanks in advance

There are hoses from your rad going to the pump on that side.

There is also a hole that either leaks coolant, or oil depending on which side gasket is gone. It'll be somewhat behind your coolant reservoir, on top of the case.

Also, your coolant reservoir is there. Check to make sure your brown connectors haven't melted a hole in them.

And finally, check before riding. Dripping coolant on rear tires is about as bad as you can get. Coolant, rubber, and pavement don't equate to anything good.

DeBenGuzzi
04-17-2008, 01:27 PM
There are hoses from your rad going to the pump on that side.

There is also a hole that either leaks coolant, or oil depending on which side gasket is gone. It'll be somewhat behind your coolant reservoir, on top of the case.

Also, your coolant reservoir is there. Check to make sure your brown connectors haven't melted a hole in them.

And finally, check before riding. Dripping coolant on rear tires is about as bad as you can get. Coolant, rubber, and pavement don't equate to anything good.

that could have contributed but not been the only reason to my low speed off last season. I mean low speed, walking pace. First fall in 7 years of street riding so no I'm not scottie. :cheers:
I still need to replace some of my clamps BUT my brown connectors well how many are there, what looks just like what ppl have been talking about with 3 yellow wires on both sides is a metallic brown plastic and inbetween the outer and inner fairing now, could this be the same one? tho the connector itself looks different(possibly better) :confused:

Shibby!
04-17-2008, 03:42 PM
that could have contributed but not been the only reason to my low speed off last season. I mean low speed, walking pace. First fall in 7 years of street riding so no I'm not scottie. :cheers:
I still need to replace some of my clamps BUT my brown connectors well how many are there, what looks just like what ppl have been talking about with 3 yellow wires on both sides is a metallic brown plastic and inbetween the outer and inner fairing now, could this be the same one? tho the connector itself looks different(possibly better) :confused:

Those would be your connectors. There are two of them. One below your rectifier (or regulator) on the right side below the upper (you'll see it when you remove the side fairing, it has cooling fins on it), and then the other you can see just above your clutch cover on the right. It's hiding behind your coolant tank between the V of the cylinders.

My connectors looked fine but the heat from it still melted a bit of my coolant tank. I caught it in time with about 10,000-11,000 km's on the ODO. Search the forum for options on replacing these connectors.

If it indeed drained fluid it would likely run down your side fairing and drip out right in front of your rear tire, which might just have caused your accident with enough coolant. I'd would suspect otherwise because of the limited amount of coolant that would leak and the speed you were going, but stranger things have happened. All I know is coolant doesn't help traction =)

noskills
04-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Shibby, you are bang on the money. I checked those wires (the ones above the coolant tank) The wire had melted the bottle on top, but not enough to put a hole in it, I think i caught it in time. My connectors look fine, no melting noticed, do you think I should replace them?? Also, after a ride yesterday I parked the bike and it was idling, the temp read out was at 208F and both fans were on. When i checked the voltage on the dash it was reading 12V, and when I reved the bike to 4000RM it jumped to 13.6V is this normal? Those wires must be super hot to be melting the connectors. I never had an issue with the bike, its a 2004 RSV with 18,000KM I wonder if I should just do the mod. What do you guys think?

Shibby!
04-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Shibby, you are bang on the money. I checked those wires (the ones above the coolant tank) The wire had melted the bottle on top, but not enough to put a hole in it, I think i caught it in time. My connectors look fine, no melting noticed, do you think I should replace them?? Also, after a ride yesterday I parked the bike and it was idling, the temp read out was at 208F and both fans were on. When i checked the voltage on the dash it was reading 12V, and when I reved the bike to 4000RM it jumped to 13.6V is this normal? Those wires must be super hot to be melting the connectors. I never had an issue with the bike, its a 2004 RSV with 18,000KM I wonder if I should just do the mod. What do you guys think?

To eliminate one possible option for a broke down bike, I'd do them. I've heard from the Tuono or Falco guys that you can "repair" the existing connectors by reducing their resistance, or, you can do like most others and just cut them out, or switch the connector style. Also, running the wires a different route (rather then through the engine) is a good option. I went above the rad, under the frame.

Make sure you use correct connectors to handle the amperate, and wire to handle the temp. I think I used 400 degree wire =) I forget though.

Lastly, your voltage seems a bit low. This could potentially be another somewhat common problem with the stator going. There is more information on this on the forum, but I know my guages shows around 13.6 at idle, and higher at 4000 RPM (guages shows about .5v lower then actually coming from the charging system). Once again, lots of information on a search. I think Knurl posting information on testing your stator while still installed.

Hope that helps.

Did you find the coolant leak?