PDA

View Full Version : New to the RSVR, differences from the jap bikes

putty
04-07-2008, 11:56 AM
I figured being a new the the RSVR factory, and having only experience with the 1000 cc jap bikes, id list i few things i noticed to inform anyone considering changing over.

First off, do it, its worth it.

You will be changing gears much then you used to down low. With the jap liter bikes you can do plenty in 1st and 2nd. With the big ape, you will find your self running through gears plenty quick 1st through 4th.

Dont bang the rev limiter. I have done it once as of yet. With my GSXR 1000 i hit the limiter plenty of times, noisy, but not to violent. With the RSVR if you hit that limiter, you go from insane tourqey pull, to almost flying off the front lol. I wouldn't recommend it, though it is easily survived.

Tourqe, yeah, the rsvr and its rotax will stand up on you in a heart beat if you want it to, though it is plenty manageable with some throttle control. Its very enjoyable.

In regards to the factory, the full ohlins, WOW. If you decide not to go with an RSVR, go ahead and spend the money for ohlins on your 4 banger. It is amazing. 130 mile and hour dips in the road that would have caused a white ghostly look on my face now cause a slight chuckle and increased throttle.

Heat, the dual pipes and the v twin make quite a bit more noticeable heat around the legs then your jap 1k did, its manageable, i don't mind it, it is actually pretty nice when its a bit chilly outside, For sumer time, ill deal with it.

Riding stance, i am in love with this bike, i was known to ride my GSXR for 600 miles at a time, and at the end i would feel it. The full tuck in this bike fits me so much better. I am 6-1 210lbs, it is seriously enjoyable riding this bike in race style tuck. I also have the woodcraft 1/2 up and 1/2 back rearsets on it, still totally comfortable for me.

Sound and vibration, this is a totally new monster to me, the vibrations are more, though at 120+ it is quite a bit more settled and enjoyable then my gsxr 1000 was. The fellow who owned the bike before me put on a set of arrow's and had them cut down to about half the length, its loud, but i do love it so, as for as exhaust tune, i think im ruined. Riding with my buddy's on their GSXR's, all you can hear is my ape, even those running the super loud flat 4 exhaust systems, like the m4, still have nothing on the sweet sound of the rotax.

Engine braking, and brakes. I find my self hardly needing to use the brembo's on the street, this engine is ALL GO when its pulling, once the throttle is closed the engine braking is quite nice, and quite a bit more then the flat 4's. The brembo's well, when i first began to ride the bike i got pretty comfortable, took it up into the 120+ range, needed to slow quite fast, so i grabbed a hold of the brembo's like i would on my gsxr, still 2 fingers only, man o man, these brakes are a whole new ballgame, between the engine and the brakes, this thing stops like no other.

In the corners, this bike is on rails, it flicks in so nice, it is noticeable that this is a track grade bike, in street trim, seems a bit of a waste on the street, twisty, im sure its a blast, the GA roads have offered me a little bit of a chance to use its capability's, but not nearly enough. If you live near the canyons, you need one of these bikes.

Lastly, Sex appeal and originality. Every time you stop at a gas station people will be asking you about this bike, most the squids don't even know what it is, they have seen them in magazines, or on tv, but many state "man, ive never actually seen one of those in person". I have been enjoying the hell out of all the attention.

In closing, if you have the money, id say buy two of these bikes, one to look pretty and ride on the street, and another to take out to the track and have some serious fun! I know not many people have that luxury, myself included, but a guy can dream.

novos
04-07-2008, 12:31 PM
You're preachin' to the choir, here :cheers:

Glad you made the right choice

Felix Da Cat
04-07-2008, 12:43 PM
:D sounds like you're in love with it :D

But I gotta agree with your sentiments, I love mine too... even when it gives me a hard time :cheers:

Many happy and safe miles on her... it gets better from here on ;)

Roadless
04-07-2008, 04:40 PM
This is exactly what I love about the factory, when you open up she ROARS, while the i4īs make a buzzz sound.

Morgan
04-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Glad you're loving it. What a nice write up too.

The only bit I'd disagree with is this bit:

Every time you stop at a gas station people will be asking you about this bike, most the squids don't even know what it is, they have seen them in magazines, or on tv, but many state "man, ive never actually seen one of those in person". I have been enjoying the hell out of all the attention.

Everytime I stop at a petrol station, I size up whether anyone's going to try something silly like mug me for it :)

derrickhackman
04-07-2008, 07:44 PM
ahh, reminds me of when i first got my bike .. .the honeymoon period. i use to think of the bike as a beautiful Italian woman, but nowadays I think of it as pissed off Roman soldier that would be happy to spit me off it's back if I step out of line and quite happy to be as loud and obnoxious as required :cheers:

Sgt Jiggy
04-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Nice write-up - are you in sales? BTW don't forget to wipe the white sticky goo off the RSV when you put it away! :kidding:

bigzona
04-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Nice write-up - are you in sales? BTW don't forget to wipe the white sticky goo off the RSV when you put it away! :kidding:

:eek::eek::eek:

putty
04-07-2008, 11:56 PM
Haha no, im not in sales, just trying to list some of the differences, so anyone who may be thinking about taking the leap like me can do so a bit more informed, all though no one uses the search function anyway :happy:

Reubens32
04-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Excellent write up! And I know exactly how you feel as I've owned mine for over 4 years and my passion for her is as strong as ever.

I ride her just about everyday and is always 1 of the best activities of the day. ALWAYS!! :)

I gotta talk to that Amauri guy for an increase in power though :worship:

joecop30
04-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Putty, I did the same thing switching from an 04 ZX-10R to the APE and I LOVE it. There is something about the big V-Twin and the fact you rarely see another one...at least where I live.....:cheers: